I have a couple questions

Do you know where I can find out some info on how many carbs are in fruit and patatoes etc?
Also is there a way to figure out how many carbs I can have

Any carbohydrate book in the bookstore or a library has alot of different foods and their carbohydrate value.A good book I have heard of is called Calorie King.I will be going on the pump soon so carb counting will be important for me.When you have eaten a certain food it will tell you on the box or label the measurement and how many carbs are in that amount.But don’t forget,you subtract the amount of fiber from the carb count because fiber isn’t absorbed in the blood stream.Good luck.

Is there a nutritionist at your doctor’s? The recommended amount of carbohydrates depends on a lot of factors, so you should probably start with professional advice. Also, a nutritionist will most likely give you handouts on all the carbohydrate counts.

I use a nutritional scale. There are several out there. I have the Escali ($50) but probably the Chefmate ($40) is just as good. They come with a booklet of codes and you just key in the food and it tells you how many carbs (or how much fat) is in that particular portion. Takes the guess work out of carb counting. It’s well worth the money in my opinion. You can check out the scales and read reviews at Amazon.com.

I have tried Calorie King too and found it to be very useful. If you go to their website (http://www.calorieking.com/) there is a link where you can download the “Calorie King-Joslin Food Search tool bar”. I use this tool bar all the time and it is super! You can type in any food and it will not only tell you how many carbs are in it but also calories, fat, protein etc. Its also nice because you can change the serving size and it will re-calculate the values for you.

Calorie King is very good. Another resource is:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Thanks I downloaded the toolbar and it is pretty good. Now if I can just remember all that.
My Doctor told me that I can eat 90 carbs for breakfast and 70 for lunch and 90 for dinner but I know that that isnt working. My problem is I like to eat alot of food at each meal. I rarely eat any breakfast. And I have a hard time staying below 90 for lunch since I have to eat fast food. I have been eating double cheeseburgers from McDonalds without the bun and that works out pretty good. But I cant eat doublecheeseburgers forever.
I really like the calorie king toolbar since it even shows all the burgers without the bun.

David,
My first problem as a diabetic was that I never used to eat breakfast either. Then my son told me that was a good way to mess up my blood sugars for the day. He is a type 1 and a I am a type 2, but he has been my greatest guide along the way. First, eat breakfast. No matter what it is, it will be better than skipping. If you don’t have time for a sit down breakfast, a slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter rides well in the car. Read the labels on a granloa bar with lots of fiber and get one with low sugar. If you have time for a quick bite, a cup of low carb yogurt is good. None of these fill you up heavily, but they sure can cut down on your lunchtime appetite. Next if fast food really is your only option for lunch there are lots of places that have great salads with grilled or fresh sliced meats or Sam’s has a huge chef’s salad that is great. You can keep a low carb dressing at work. If I am really pressed, I keep a small individual cup of peanut butter in my glove compartment and a spoon. Jif makes a pack of six individual cups that are really handy. Like everyone says, most foods come with their own labels. Read them and calculate what you need. After doing this for awhile, I have noticed that food has become less important to me than a lot of other things. I have become more at ease with making choices now and it has become more automatic than stressful. With time David things get a little easier. It took me awhile to see this. In the beginning I was so afraid of messing up or not getting it right. I keep a daily log of everything i eat and all my blood sugars. My son started me on this from the beginning. It was easier from the start to look back over my days and see what made me feel better and what I did to shoot my blood sugars up. I wish you luck and i hope you keep coming back to this web site for help.

Hi David…Welcome to the group…I just started myself last month. Go to your local bookstore, like Barnes and Noble or Borders etc. and talk with the guy/gal at the information booth and ask them for a carb counter book. A small book that lists all foods by carbs, calories etc.

I was told by a dietician that one shouldn’t eat more than 30 carbs each meal. Less if possible. But I can tell you this POTATOES and RICE are OUT, save for very special occassions. Way too hight on the carbs…any white pasta, bread etc. Switch to whole wheat (they make white bread that is actually whole wheat, and its pretty darn good.)

Good luck

I would starve! It really depends on your type and medications. I am a T1 on a pump and have a lot of flexibility in my meals.

I have been eating the whole wheat white bread. It says that the carbs in it is 14g per slice. Thats only 1 gram less than regular bread. Are you always supposed to subtract the protien grams from the carbs? I downloaded the calorie king toolbar and it has more info on different foods then I can handle. It is awsome, you should check it out.

What exactly is a pump?

I dont think my doctor has a nutritionist. I cant get in to see my endocrinologist for atleast over a couple months so I am trying to figure this out. Odds are I have been running in the 280+ range for the last 9 months maybe even for years. I am very worried about my health. My mom is diabetic and has lost all the feeling in her hands and can hardly walk. She is a waitress and can hardly work anymore. She doesnt take care of herself and I dont want to end up like her.

It is an insulin pump, which basically gives you insulin around the clock. It is used in place of shots, and is thought more to be like the natural body. You bolus more insulin at mealtimes to adjust for the carbohydrates you are intaking.

A lot of people on this site seem to like it however I am on the scary side of things. i thought it better that I learn how to pick the right foods first before I started that pump. If I know that the pump is going to do all of the work for me, I would have no problem eating all of the food that was not good for me.

If you use a PDA you can download the USDA’s searchable nutrition database at:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=5720

It’s a lot more convenient that carrying around the Calorie King.

Terry

I get all my numbers on www.nutrientfacts.com