I live in an alternate universe: Dexcom support answered in 2 minutes

I was seriously thinking of getting my first CGM and I had decided that Dexcom would be my choice, but since reading about all the problems and frustration I am very hesitant to order one.

And that points out how skewed one’s perception of reality can be, Marilyn. I can throw a dart at a list of products, look for reviews of the product, the company that makes said product, and come up with such a wide, confusing array of comments, perceptions, at opposite ends of the spectrum that I wonder if everyone is reviewing the same thing. I’m telling you right now you will be making a grave mistake by not getting a CGM from Dexcom just because there are some negative comments posted online. A BIG mistake. (Unless your diabetic life is great without one)

I’m currently in the process of trying to get the G6 approved by my insurance and the process is unfortunately very slow but I did expect that. I’m going through solara since my insurance doesn’t have a contract directly with dexcom and it took several weeks for that to be put in train. The dexcom rep I was working with to get things on their way was competent and responded within reasonable time frames to why I wasn’t getting any communications from solara (It turns out there was a typo in my contact info). As of today the prior auth still hasn’t been submitted but honestly that could be my dr.s office not being very swift.

There used to be an advice news column by Ann Landers most of US read daily and one of her most famous questions she asked of people that asked about a bad relationship or other issue was "Are you better off with it (him) or without (him)

Virtually everyone that has been on Dexcom agrees that their going through major company growth issues right now is an incredible inconvenience to us all but we are still better off dealing very patiently with their delays and frustrations then going even a few days without our Dexcom. I hope you get past your hesitation and order one. I would even say misery loves company but it really is not that bad. Hope you join us!!!

3 Likes

Things never get better - bookmark it

Hi Dave. Yes, my diabetic life is pretty great without one, but I realize I might just be being stubborn. A have a friend who won’t get a computer and I know that she would very much love being connected but she refuses to do it.

I am frankly afraid of the frustration and headaches that could be caused by dealing with the company. So far I have been able to control my diabetes extremely well without a CGM, but the convenience might be nice.

I will continue to watch for just a little bit longer before I try to get a device. I guess I could at least try one. I have an old one, but never used it.

No headaches here from having a Dexcom CGM. I’m still kicking myself for not having gotten one earlier but then again until Medicare covered it I couldn’t afford it. There has not been a day that I’ve ever regretted getting my Dexcom. My wife feels the same. It has lowered my A1C and prevented me from having countless low’s and highs. What the heck is not to like about that?

I’m still happy I have my Dexcom despite thinking their customer service is an absolute mess. That said, if a Libre would meet my needs as well (currently, it would not), I very well might explore alternatives. At the moment there are no alternatives that check all the same boxes as Dexcom’s product, which is part of why I think they get away with such crappy service—all of us like and rely on the product too much to switch even when things are this ridiculous.

Are you seriously suggesting that Dexcom is deliberately giving what you call crappy service? You think that is their business model, huh?

1 Like

Of course I’m not suggesting that. I’m suggesting what’s true across situations where a company has a lock on a consumer base (like some cable providers for example)—they are not forced, through competition, to shape up for fear of losing customers. Dexcom’s current problems would not exist if they invested far more resources into their sales force, but I doubt they’ve seen that as a profitable move, and it’s not particularly, if most of us who are incredibly frustrated are still going to continue to use their product.

1 Like

Have you any idea how hard it is to ramp up qualified personnel and manufacturing? You don’t just wave a magic wand and all is good. It’s no easy task hiring for those positions in a short time frame. Spend some time in business and you’ll know what I mean. Sorry if I lose patience with the people here, but the whining is getting old. Make your case once, and be done with it. You aren’t going to make any changes by griping incessantly here. I’m in another universe, thank god.

1 Like

Dave: You don’t like my factual reports about Dexcom’s Customer service, and you tell me to watch my blood pressure. You don’t like what cardamom has to say, and you treat her like an idiot.

Respect the opinions of others without attacking them for having opinions, or describing their experience. The forum will be a better place for all of us.

3 Likes

your incessant whining is not going to solve your problems. I don’t remember mentioning your blood pressure but that’s probably not a bad idea. Having an opinion is fine but you keep harping on the same complaint about a company as if we can do something about it. Why not invest your energy somewhere else?

Dave: The point is to bring awareness of a very real problem - to wit, Dexcom’s blistering incompetence has left me without supplies and I’m back on test strips. Despite the “whining”, this board’s members have given me some very good suggestions for managing this in the future, like working with a distributor.

In comparison, you offer nothing but personal attacks and insults. I’m reporting you to the board moderators.

3 Likes

LOL. I have a totally different experience–so who’s experience is more “valid”?? It only matters to the person having the experience.

It’s not a matter of whose experience is right, wrong, valid, or whatever. It’s a matter of allowing this forum to be a place were people can truthfully express what their experience has been, not be insulted for expressing it, and search for help, support and guidance from other users.

Your last post kind of captures the problem.

Everyone’s experience is valid. Let’s let everyone express their experiences without judgment

I am lucky that I don’t find the need to contact customer service often (or even at all as of late) so I can’t say one way or the other. I have found the ability to order supplies online, without ever having to call customer service, to be a very seamless process.

6 Likes

Exactly, Lorraine. I also note that Dave44 edited his last post to remove some of his obnoxious commentary.

mods must have edited–I didn’t. It’s a shame this thread has gone off the rails. I’d love for it to be deleted (it’s my thread).

They missed the Monday commitment - but they arrived today (one day late). Issue thankfully closed!