I must confess

My name is Alexa. I'm 24 years old and new to the group. I am a psych major and am currently pursuing my MA in Marriage & Family Therapy. I aim to get my PsyD and become a diabetes educator/psychologist for families with children who have chronic illnesses.....I joined this group because I am having a dia-crisis! After 16-sih years of having Type 1 Diabetes, I have found myself in a bad place. I have been using Minimed pumps for about 12 years and am currently on the 530G & Enlite CGMS (which is touch and go but overall I like it). I recently lost my dad to cancer and it has kickstarted the drive for change. I quit smoking (53 days now!) and don't use recreational drugs. I rarely drink and when I do it's minimal. My issue is with food and I'm concerned that I am developing an eating disorder revolving around over-eating and binge eating. This is wreaking havoc on my weight and blood sugars. Has anyone overcome difficulties like this and how did you lose the weight without burning out quickly? Counting calories, carbs, dosing, corrections, pounds and adjusting for lows is tiresome. Any advice would be much appreciated, even as far as just having the support to know I'm not alone in my quest to get back on track.

-Type 1 for 16 years
-Hypothyroid for 10 years, recently increased dose of Synthroid significantly

Hi Alexa. I too am a Psyc Masters; currently retired and teaching Psychology. I also have nearly 20 years recovery from an eating disorder. I had 13 years recovery when I was diagnosed with Type 1 and it kicked my butt! Dealing with all the counting of carbs, dosing, corrections, etc ran counter to everything I'd learned in recovery. I was "forced" to obsess about food and count everything and it brought up my Eating issues big time. Eating disorders are extremely common for Type 1 diabetics, especially women. How to cope with it? It isn't about weight loss, and recognizing that it was more than that and getting out of the diet cycle is what helped me get and maintain recovery. I encourage you to: Check into the eating disorder group on TuD. Go to OA meetings, either online or in person, and get counseling by someone trained in eating disorder and diabetes issues. Recovery is possible. I had an eating disorder for 30 years before I got into recovery. And despite Type 1 I am able to have a healthy attitude towards food, my body and my D. You can do it too, but not alone. Seek out support from those who know. Dealing with these issues can only help you be good at what you do to help others.

Hey Alexa:

Welcome! You are about as ALONE as a single grain of sand on a blessed BEACH! The problem is you just don't realize that fact quite yet.

Look, death of anyone close has effects, significant, serious effects. Candidly I would be worried MORE if your father's death did NOT change you.

I am not a woman, I do not smoke. However, having been very aware of what I eat/eaten for nearly fifty years, I "get it". The constant vigilance, and hyper vigilance takes a toll, I believe. As a young woman, your weight will change, as you well know. Hormones, activity, physiology. You are absolutely no different than any of your friends in that regard. Eat the WHOLE pizza, and you better be running beside the car, not in it right?!

If a client came to you and presented the facts you've offered us, what would you suggest to her… how to change the outcome I mean? Bet if you asked a professor, or checked the eating disorder articles you'll find techniques we may not have considered.

Regardless when you speak of binge eating, what are we talking about… the entire buffet line at the local chinese place? Two pizza's? Give us a context perhaps someone will have easier thoughts, more direct experiences…

Glad to help keep the topic going for ya...