I need a serious "push" in getting active!

I know how important exercise is to everyone’s health and especially ours … and I genuinely have the desire to get into an exercise routine. The problem is I just cannot get myself to do it. I am soooo freaking lazy =0 The main problem is my work schedule. I leave for work at 7:15am and the earliest I get home is 7:00pm. We’re talking a 12+ hour day so by the time I get home, I have the energy to do 3 things … eat dinner, shower and go to bed (well watching some tv too lol) Are there any suggestions out there? I feel like I need someone to literally pull me to exercise =(

Oh Stacey…I’m right there with you. I know I need to do it…I just don’t! It seems I have the desire first thing in the morning but then it seems to go away before I get home. Maybe if we tried getting up earlier and doing something. I used to get up and do Tae-Bo. I really lost some weight doing it and I felt great! Good luck to ya!

Change your work schedule? I really have no good advice. Whenever I have 12+ hour days (hell, 10+hour days for that matter), I don’t do anything active. Good thing is, when I have those long days, it usually means I’m pretty active at work so I don’t worry about it. If you’re a morning person, the answer would obviously be to wake up earlier and get some activity in. However, I suspect you’re not a morning person or you would have already figured that out. Sucks to be a night person b/c the last thing you want to do after a long day of work is exercise. All I can do is commiserate with you.

I need a push too. I want to do things so bad (ie train for a half marathon), but I’m completely lazy. And I feel so tired a lot of the time.

One thing I was wonder was what kind of job do you have. Maybe being a little more active at work. If it’s a desk job walk during lunch that’s what my dad does. I used to wake up a couple hours early and run/walk, but i haven’t kept it up. :frowning:

I get up at 5.45 during the school year so that I have time to walk for 40 minutes before I leave for work at 7.15. It was hard at first but then i got used to it and it does make me feel better. Sometimes my husband and I put on headlamps and walk in the evening after dinner, but that’s hard to do after a long day at work. How about trying a little bit of yoga before bed. It isn’t aerobic but can be relaxing.

I was in the same boat for a very long time. I finally buckled down and got my butt in motion. I must admit, I feel a lot better knowing that I’m doing my part and not relying on insulin to control the beast.

I know that you can do it, but you have to be mentally strong…and you just have to get over that initial hump of starting a routine.

If you don’t have a flexible work schedule, then you have to get creative and be efficient with your time. Take the stairs, park far, walk during breaks…it doesn’t seem like much but it will help get the juices flowing. You can try wearing a pedometer and increasing your steps throughout the day.

If you want to try a super efficient (but difficult) exercise routine, try Tabata. It’s wicked intense…but it only last for four minutes. It’s a really good way to get your heart pumping in the beginning of the day…here’s a few links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDh1Cspl0jI

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anything—Four-Minutes-of-Pain-to…

Good luck Stacy…keep us posted :slight_smile:

For me, I’ve managed to incorporate some exercise in my work day…

I take an express bus to/from work (@ $3.50 each way… and since it’s a 40+ mile commute and my car only gets 30 MPG = $$ saved) and the bus stop is about a 10 minute walk to the office. If I’m really ambitious in the AM, I hop off a stop or two before mine and it adds anywhere from 10-15 minutes to the walk.

During the day, I’m fortunate that my boss encourages me to go take a break (he knows about my diabetes)-- I’ll talk a 10-15 minute walk around the business park before or after lunch… sometimes I’ll do it twice during the business day. On any given work day, I can incorporate 30 minutes of walking.

I works best if you schedule it and do it the same time each day, without fail. Look at it like taking your medicine.

Do you get a lunch? Eat light then take a walk. Start slow, say 10 minutes, and build up to longer walks. Do it daily, even when you don’t feel like it. If the weather sucks, walk around inside the building.

Moving around actually creates energy. You’ll have more energy in the afternoon than you’re used to.

During breaks or while sitting at the desk, do some desk exercises or active stretching.

Again - do it daily, even when you don’t feel like it. Moving makes more energy. It doesn’t matter that you don’t break a sweat or don’t have to take a shower or aren’t breathing hard.

Just do something.

Everyday.

Even when you don’t feel like it.

I agree with Terry - schedule your exercise as if it were prescribed medication. I have a number of physical activities I can fit into 15 or 20 minute spaces. Doing one or two will fulfill my goal of at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Other activities are simply things that have to be done around the house anyways.

• Go for a brisk walk for one of my 15 minute coffee breaks.
  • Take my wee doggies for their walk either before or after dinner.
  • Do mat and/or exerise ball exercises through one half hour tv show in the evening (you don’t even have to give up your tv time!)
  • Do one 15 minute warm up and one 15 minute work out from my “15 Minute Workouts for Dummies” DVD
  • Bike ride to the closest grocery store for dinner makings
  • Head over to the nearby aquatic centre directly after work for the Aquafit or Aquajogging class (cheap, invigorating, and social!)
  • Mow the lawn and rake up the cuttings
  • Shovel the snow off the driveway and sidewalk

I found that ensuring I do get physical activity, I actually end up with more energy, not to mention better management of my blood sugars.

I think an exercise buddy is the key. I don’t have one, and I sure could use one.

Move to South Jersey, and we can push each other, Stacey!! :slight_smile:

I really wish Lee Ann!! =)
I know that would help … actually one of my friend’s belongs to the same gym as me but we can never get on the same schedule. I just need to do what everyone else has said … exercise like it’s part of the rest of my diabetes regimen. I am seriously going to try this weekend to do something for myself. Thank you everyone for their replies.

With your schedule you will probably never be successful with a normal (huh, what is normal) exercise regime, like running or a half hour at the gym.

But, DON’T FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.

Neither can a lot of people. For instance, it is my goal to commute with my bike to work. It is a five mile trip one way with lots of hills, good for an easy 30 minutes of exercise each way. I saw someone else that takes the buss and gets off a few blocks earlier, these are all little things we can do to add more exercise to our life, be creative and good luck.

I think one of the tricks with physical activity is to find something you really enjoy doing. My husband is not the most athletic of all people but, he sure can find time to golf! Yes - he only gets the chance on weekends or he and a bunch of guys leave work early every so often to hit the course.

The other thing that may work is doing your workout early in the morning. Admittedly, I’m a morning person.

~Danielle

Stacey-

I work also but I try to walk during my hour lunch break. You can do it!

Stacy…if you can fit it in on the weekends (or days you don’t work,) then 1 or 2 days in the rest of the week might be enough. Could you do something at home for 30 minutes when you first get home? Even just dancing to MTV and maybe using hand weights.

You might have solved your own puzzle when you said that you needed someone to pull you. Is there someone you could make a date with to walk or run in the evenings a few nights? You could meet at the mall (I know…so senior citizen, but…) when the weather is not good. Or early in the AM.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. 30 minutes before your shower, or even 20 with another brisk walk at lunch time. Just do something, whatever you can, with someone maybe, and on a schedule and you’ll probably keep finding more ops.

Remember…you’ve been given a condition that you can help control…don’t waste that.