I pumped. Once

That’s me. No, that’s not a demo Pod. That’s the real thing.

No, I do not have diabetes.

When Caleb started pumping, so did I. I wanted to know exactly what the “virtually pain-free” insertion felt like. I had heard it compared to a finger stick. Caleb was going to endure this for the foreseeable future. I had been able to directly feel a finger stick, so too did I want to feel a Pod insertion.

So, shortly after Caleb’s first “click”, to which he reacted with a surprising, “Yow!”, I heard my “click”. The trainer had filled a Pod with saline and we repeated what we had just done with Caleb.

It was no finger stick. I had my own, “Yow!” although I kept it to myself. It was surprising because of what I had read about the pain of insertion from the Insulet site as well as from other OmniPod users. I have never used a traditional infusion set, so I cannot directly compare, but I have heard from those who have used both and they seem to agree that the OmniPod is less painful. With perspective, it may indeed be more like a finger stick, but it was a definite pinch.

I wore the saline-infusing Pod as Caleb wore his insulin-infusing Pod. No bolus’ for me of course. But I slept with it, showered with it and went about my life with it. It was not in the way. I did forget about. It did not seem obvious under the clothes I wore.

Then, I took it off. I ripped it right off. It didn’t hurt. I took it off and threw it away. That was it. Done. Over.

Caleb, of course, has been attached to a Pod 24/7 for the last eight hundred and twenty-five days. Me, only three. I pumped. Once.

When Caleb started pumping, so did I.

I finished. Caleb has not.

I wish it were the other way around.

for the rest of the post, including Caleb’s video about how the insertion feels, visit: “This is Caleb…”

I guess these poor kids, after being poked ten to fifteen times a day, site change every three days, blood drawn for thyroid, etc. every three months, develop a higher tolerance for pain. They have too. I vaguely remember when we first started testing BS, it was traumatic for the entire first two weeks. We used EMLA for the entire first year for site changes for the pump. I just don’t think young kids should have to tough it out. We are four years in, and she is now tough as nails. We used EMLA for the first Dexcom insertion. She now does it cold turkey and said it is no worse than a site change. But I would use the numbing cream forever if she needed it.

depending on how you are built and who you are… if I were to put an infusion site where you show yours in the picture you would have to peel me off the ceiling… and I have been jabbing myself since 1977. I just can’t use my abdomen. too much sensitive muscle tissue close to the surface and too many nerves. I can use my upper butt but if I get a little too low I have to take out the set by the 2nd day or I will develop a limp! my love handles are virtually pain free, but I have to rotate off of them so I won’t develop scar tissue. anyway, it was noble of you to try it out. cheers!

That is SO cool, Lorraine!!

I always use EMLA unless I have to make an emergency change. Why not? I’m on my 20th year pumping, and 42 with the d. try it.

What a great Mom! Sounds like you would do anything for your kids. Kudo’s to you!

You are an awesome mom! Had my mom or dad did this with me when I diagnosed, I probably wouldn’t had such horrible control during the ten years. Yes, it was only three days for you, but that one time is gonna impact Caleb for years.

You’re such a great role model for Caleb, Lorraine.

When I was diagnosed, my CDE had my parents and older brother sit around a table and take an injection with me. My dad and brother did it quickly, but I think it was one of the hardest things my mom had ever had to do to herself. Then she looked over at me and realized what was being asked of me for the rest of my life and jabbed that syringe into her arm. It meant a lot to me at the time.

I’ve used nearly every infusion set out there and would agree that the pod hurts less. It hurts more than a finger prick and less than an infusion set, but they all hurt less than cgm sensors (regardless of brand). I hope those become less painful in the future.

Love Caleb’s video. What a handsome & charming boy! Such a cutie.

Brings tears seeing how brave these kids are.

Caleb will never forget his incredible mom wearing her pod. You rock!

what a cute boy and so smart too to be able to handle all this on his own. You are a really good Mom to go thru that with him. I have 3 boys and am grateful for now they are healthy. Best wishes to all of your family.

You are all very kind but really give me more credit than I deserve. As Melissa so eloquently put, my one time to a presumed lifetime for him was really the least I could do. I posted this as part of our story and to answer questions from a few moms who are pursuing the Pod for their children. I just wanted to give them my one experience combined with Caleb’s opinions to help them prepare.
I didn’t think he would remember that day because he never mentions it and he has said that he really doesn’t remember injections. But I asked him after hearing from all of you and he does - he said, “Oh yeah - it hurt!” He remembered me wearing it too (I was sure that was lost in his own experience, particularly at the age of four). Although he remembers it, he seemed unimpressed. And frankly, he should be. But I’m glad that he remembers I was there with him.
Thanks for reading and sharing with us.

that’s a good experiece
=)way to go caleb