I started on Afrezza last night

I'm anxiously waiting my appt at Cleveland Clinic on Apr 16 to get Afrezza
I've been type 2 for approx 4 yrs and have followed Mannkind/Afrezza for over 7 yrs
I workout 2.5 hrs 7 days wk climbing the treadmill and try to eat healthy 80% of the time but I enjoy dining out and I like to eat dinner at 7-8pm ( this has been the hardest adjustment for the last 4 yrs...eating "early bird" )
Afrezza will give me the freedom from the restrictive diabetic lifestyle, just to be able to lighten things up a bit and preserve my organs
I know this drug as if I've been using it for 7 yrs...I've read everything, attended a shareholders mtg in Valencia, CA just to meet Al and Hakan 1.5 yrs ago (flew there from Florida), I attended the Adcom and I am friends with Sam Finta (aka afrezzauser)
When he first appeared on the yahoo msg board, I knew he was for real...he was in the clinical trial...he knew too much to not be genuine...he put up with so much slandering and abuse from short stock traders...I knew Sam was the real deal and was so happy to meet him and Eric(the fellow making dozens of youtube videos about Afrezza)at the Adcom
anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to Tu and can't wait to post my daily results
Afrezza works and it will save lives, organs and when the trials begin for little kids that will make it all worthwhile....it's all about those kids and their parents
G-d bless Al Mann

1 Like

I am incredibly intrigued by Afrezza, and will be talking to my new endo about it. I just need to wait for my new health plan to kick in next month.

Iā€™m also intrigued by Afrezza and I have an appointment with my Endo on monday. After I talk to her about the MODY testing (again) I plan to talk with her about Afrezza. My bet is she has boatloads of samples and gives me a few.

I am also intrigued but a little hesitant. I have some pretty bad allergies which at time causes breathing issues. Most of the time I could probably tolerate it but during allergy season it might be a problem for me.

Nice thing is you could try and if you realize itā€™s not for you itā€™s just as easy to stop. Getting some samples from Endo/Doc might be the way to go to test it out.

Finally, I have migrated to the new site. That was horrible. As a result of the delay, I didnā€™t get to do a minute-by-minute report about my experience with the Afrezza samples my endo gave me. It was everything I hoped it would be! For example, with a normal-for-me meal, including pasta, cream sauce (lots of fat) and chicken chunks, I used 8 units, tested my blood every hour for the next five hours, and it stayed between 78 and 130 the whole time. I really couldnā€™t believe it!

Meanwhile, although my endo prepared an elaborate package for the prior authorization people at Humana, they didnā€™t want it. They handled it all on the phone in two minutes, said theyā€™d have a decision in two days, reported their decision YES in two days, and that was that. Shocking. So tomorrow, I pick up my first order. Then I will be able to see whatā€™s really possible.

Wonderful news. Glad you persevered regarding the website. Thank you for sharing.

Awesome. It sure makes life easy doesnā€™t itā€¦

GREAT news!!! So glad to hear. Keep us up to date.

Iā€™m happy to see others getting good results. I feel bad to report my failure. In my case, if I havenā€™t taken enough fast carbs, I can get very bad and scary hypos. Iā€™ve seen too many times an arrow pointing down and going double arrow up afterward. I almost feel like my body overreact to these extremes. I always end up using Humalog to correct. I wonder if itā€™s just the fact that Iā€™m too insulin sensitive (1U of Humalog makes me go down 100 pts, I take 4.5U of Humalog and 5U of Lantus per day).

Hey @v11.

First off, donā€™t feel bad to report that itā€™s not the right thing for you. Afrezza is not going to be for everyone. Itā€™s not a miracle treatment like some claim. Do whatā€™s best for you and feel good in the fact that you gave it a shot. Your question on insulin sensitivity is a good one. As Iā€™ve continued to use Afrezza Iā€™ve also found the timing of the dose is very important when dealing with more complex carbs.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. I believe itā€™s important for folks to see the positive and non-positive results of real users.

Thanks mikep,
I needed to hear that after all the crazy comments I read on Twitter. I fear that some might overdose by thinking you canā€™t get hypos. You still can, itā€™s still insulin :slight_smile:

Yeah, there are some interesting folks over on Twitter - try not to let them get to you. I will say that I have not experienced hypos BUT Iā€™m not nearly as insulin sensitive as you either. You would probably be a perfect candidate for 1u or 2u cartridges.

Here are some things Iā€™ve learned about Afrezza and me: It works instantly! As a result, I canā€™t take it when I start eating carbs. I have to wait until Iā€™ve eaten a bit first. If the meal needs 8 units, I canā€™t do the 8 units at once. I have to do 4 and then later do 4, maybe after the meal. Iā€™m still experimenting to get the timing right. One thing that is miraculous is how it works as a correction. Say my blood sugar is in the mid to high 200s in the morning. With my pump, it could take a day or so to get back down to stable 100s. But with Afrezza, it takes 1 hour!

2 Likes

great news!!! It does work very quickly.

1 Like

MikeP, have you had an A1C test since you started on Afrezza?

Very cool news! The Los Angeles Times interviewed and photographed me for an article about Afrezza, and the article appeared on the front page of the Business section this Wednesday, June 3. 1

1 Like

Read that article even before I realized that was you. Very cool.

I think the point that needs to be emphasized because even doctors donā€™t understand it, is that this not just an alternative to needlesā€¦ It works far better for many people. Thatā€™s what frustrates meā€¦ Iā€™ve stuck myself with needles countless times every day, it really doesnā€™t bother me or most other people whoā€™ve done the sameā€¦ But this med is giving me my life back.

1 Like

Itā€™s true. Itā€™s not insulin in a different form. Itā€™s a completely different product. That is hard to get people to understand. It was hard for me to believe at first, too.

[quote=ā€œcrg, post:219, topic:23316, full:trueā€]
Itā€™s true. Itā€™s not insulin in a different form. Itā€™s a completely different product. That is hard to get people to understand. It was hard for me to believe at first, too.
[/quote]***ā€œThe nice thing about Afrezza is it works instantly for me,ā€ said Goldstein, 66, who has had Type 1 diabetes for more than 15 years. ā€œI take my puff after Iā€™ve been eating awhile, and my blood sugar never goes really high.ā€***

Before Afrezza would your rapid not cover your mealtime bolus and keep you from going really high? And what about basal insulin, what happens if you donā€™t eat at all? Does the Afrezza market sales force not recognize that basal insulin is equally necessary? This is the part of the ā€œstoryā€ I donā€™t see much chatter about. I see a lot of the biggest marketing push has come from Afrezza users, who have taken to social media sites such as Twitter and Reddit to spread the word. And of course the DOC is getting a dose of this.

Glad it is working so well and changing lives. I wish I could try it. But I would simply die without my basal insulin.

1 Like