I woke up with a 39 blood sugar ! this can kill the average man so i guess that makes me a superhero

I woke up with a 39 blood sugar !! this can kill the average man so i guess that makes me a superhero!!

They will call me diabetes man!!

The lowest blood sugar I’ve had was 1.7 and I was totally functional. So I guess the average man pales in comparison to the diabetic woman :slight_smile:

My CGMS woke me in the night last week. When I tested I was 32. That was fun. LOL

27 is the lowest I have gotten and tested and yeah women in general are stronger than men.

EEP!! >_< Those are super low numbers!!! I am happy that you are all still here! My lowest was 60 – and my endo wasn’t happy with that.

Guess I can be Beetis Boy. My lowest was 30 a few weeks ago, talk about a rude awakening!!

The lowest my son was “LO” (with a OneTouch machine which is under 1.1 mmol or under 20 mg/dl) and he was still standing and talking, that was scary!!!

lowest was 52 and I felt baaaaaaaaaaad

I’ve woken up at that level, so I don’t think it makes us superheroes, but it is too low. The reality is that the accuracy of every meter sold in the U.S. today is directly correlated to glucose levels, meaning that test strips are very accurate at high levels (400 mg/dL or higher), but not very reliable at levels under 70 mg/dL – just read the FDA-mandated insert in each package of test strips and look at the section labeled “precision” or “accuracy”. Using Johnson & Johnson’s One Touch Ultra strips as an example, the following is disclosed relative to lab values (the label “C.V.” stands for “clinical variance” relative to laboratory values):

Total Precision
Control 44 mg/dL (2.4 mmol/L) CV=4.4%
Control 171 mg/dL (9.5 mmol/L) CV=2.6%
Control 366 mg/dL (20.3 mmol/L) CV=2.4%

What does this mean?

It means that the lower the values, the higher the clinical variance from lab values, whereas the higher your blood glucose levels, the less variance from clinical lab values. This really pisses me off, frankly, but it is true of almost every brand except Wavesense meters, which are consistently accurate at all values. This is why the FDA’s push for greater accuracy (see the New York Times article here) is so important and should be implemented. Ellen Ullman, a longtime advocate for people with diabetes will be speaking before FDA on March 17, 2010 and I would encourage you to answer her survey http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bloodglucosemeters. Here’s the link to where she’ll be presenting: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/NewsEvents/WorkshopsConferences/u….

Please take a few minutes to compete the survey!!

I had a 37 just yesterday and a 32 in January. I had a 19 once, several years ago , and was up and talking, though not coherently. I am not hypo- unaware, either, it just takes me a relatively long time to really drift away. I can stay between 55 and 70 for over an hour and not drop. I rarely get completely non-functional where I cannot treat my lows .Now lows are not fun and I do get “loopy” and “silly” and sometimes, jittery.I can remember a few times in my 42 year diabetic life, less than 15, where I had to have assistance when I was low. I consider myself fortunate and blessed that I am not hypo-unaware and a rarely if ever a pass out or seizure from lows. The three times I remember this happening to me are so frightening that I never want a recurrence… .

God Bless,
Brunetta

What kind of meter checks in decimal places superwoman?

I think dealing with the glucose dump/rebound highs the rest of the morning is what would make you a super hero :wink:

Hell yeah. That’s the worst!
“Ummm… I already feel like a zombie… and now I’m spiking through the roof and feel like complete crap! Gonna be a good day”

Fuchs

i think she’s in Canada or UK? They have different meter readings than we do.
I think 1.7 is the same as our 30?

The lowest I’ve seen and was still functioning at was 19.

Just two days ago, I woke up at 32 and I did all my diabetes stuff to wait it out and have it rise.
But I noticed that while I was waiting for it to rise, I took out something to read and I couldn’t comprehend a six word sentence. It literally took me a half hour to read something that said:
“Don’t worry. Ouside talking to Lindz.” It was a text from the night before.

But… here I am… [dun da da naaaaa!!!] Sweet Girl <— my Suprehero name, I think. Still pending approval.

hahaha I love that. lol

The lowest I have ever gone is ‘LO’ on my meter which means my BG was less than 1.2/20. I was still walking and talking and just feeling slightly odd. I think I have a bizarre tolerance of extremes at both ends. I know some other PWD who can tell their BG is high because they feel physically crap but I have zero sensation of highs.

In terms of effect, one of my scariest hypos was shortly after dx when I was at dinner with friends and my 15 units of meal-time insulin hit me a little earlier than I was expecting. We were sight-reading a fairly complicated choral piece at the time, a piece that was quite challenging even for an experienced singer. The notes were swimming dizzily in front of my eyes like it was all Greek to me - only it wasn’t, it was Tallis (Thomas Tallis, 16th century English composer).

We’re all super heros, let’s be honest here. :slight_smile: My lowest was 28, when I was a kid. We were moving out of our house and had no food left in the fridge to treat a low, except maple syrup. (BIG FAIL on my parent’s part) So I drank a bunch of that, only to discover it was SUGAR FREE! Bah! I think we ended up finding some soda or something one of the movers had. But, it makes for a good story. :slight_smile:

Sugar free maple syrup!! I want!!!

It is so hard to find proper maple syrup outside the US/Canada. Mostly it is ‘maple-flavoured’ crap. So whenever I stumble across the real deal, I grab some and bolus later! Especially now I have a reliable low-carb muffin recipe at hand.