I would like comments about this article

Looks like a Medtronic commercial

The author who I will email later included idiotic lines like this

And because the system is able to adjust the amount of insulin the patient is getting, there’s no more worries overnight.

I guess Colton’s parents never check on him overnight

This is about what one could expect from an limited article about Med-T’s new technology as explained to an audience that knows next to nothing about diabetes and insulin pump technology, much less explaining anything about an algorithm. We’ve all watched as eyes glaze over at the first mention of basal, bolus, or autoimmune in any casual interest in things diabetes.

I think it also reflects the limited attention span of most general audiences. This article was written in very broad brush-strokes with little to no detail. It’s unfortunate that this is the type of article that much of the “media” has been reduced to. Headlines are written with click-bait in mind instead of a real preview of the meat of the story.

The uninformed public take in the mind of the public is that insulin pumps solve diabetes. Isn’t that wonderful? I remember in 1987, when I got my MM504 pump and people thought then that the pump could sense blood sugar and deliver the right amount of insulin.

This superficial attention span of the average member of the public when it comes to disease that does not affect them directly is a simple reality that is not going away any time soon. We’re all ignorant of many diseases that don’t impact our lives. We all allocate our personal bandwidth using a variety of values.

4 Likes

How many newly diagnosed are going to make their pump decision (for the next four years) based on this sort of article.

1 Like

“The pump has a computer algorithm that can calculate the rate of rises and drops in blood sugar and deliver the insulin,” Palau said.

So, Colton can set it and forget it when he hits the field.

Wait a sec. He just said he disconnects from it and hands it to his coach when he goes out on the field. Which makes perfect sense–it’s not exactly convenient being attached and carrying the pump body around while bashing into other players–but that means the pump is doing precisely nothing for him while he’s out there.

And because the system is able to adjust the amount of insulin the patient is getting, there’s no more worries overnight.

“It will send an alert to the parents and let them know that the blood sugar is low and they need to come fix the problem,” Palau stated.

It will??? Since when? Dexcom Share does that but the 670 G/Guardian 3 system as shipped doesn’t include any such capability.

ETA:

Like most teenagers, Colton Smith is extremely active.
[snip]
So it was quite a shock when Colton was diagnosed with type-one diabetes at the age of 14.

“So” it was a shock? Meaning it wouldn’t have been otherwise? Because “active”? Yeesh.

4 Likes

I think there’s real advantages to closed-loop systems or even CGM usage in open-loop systems.

I do think the “no more worries and having to wake up and check your kids bg overnight” selling point is a bit over the top and a little too close to an advertising pitch.

But it’s also very close to the truth. I was the T1 kid decades ago but I understand the worries of T1 parents at least a little bit as a result.

Extended exercise (like a football game or football practice) dramatically affects insulin sensitivity and sometimes in unpredictable amounts or lengths of time.

I think the article extolling this as improving quality of life is very true. I’ve had T1 for 36 years now. While I have a decent handle on how much I have to adjust my insulin for the immediate exercise, I still cannot reliably predict how much my insulin needs will change after extended exercise. I know for sure a recently diagnosed teenage kid lacks the experience I have and I don’t see how he could reliably predict all the dynamic changes either.

1 Like

Perhaps that is a brand new feature of the pump. When disconnected, the pump no longer delivers insulin.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah. Might be just a little more believable if it comes from a parent of a child with T1.

Sure. But when it just goes too far then the article loses credibility and it becomes a joke.

= = =

I prefer under-promise and over-deliver with technology and upgrades.

I think the author did a wonderful job making a readable article that used a relatable real world example of where closed loop technology is especially advantageous.

If the writer gets slammed too much on the Internet by us nerds I hope he goes and watches some Simpsons:

[ Comic Book Guy ]Last night’s Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

1 Like

Let’s just wait and watch these guys get their disappointment. If they plan on having it adjust the amount of insulin delivered based on the CGM, being away from it for a whole game all the time will prevent efficiently doing this because it cannot get CGM for so long. So once they learn that this feature will not be usable in their scenario, they could turn on the feature of suspending delivery on low & (assuming their parents have good enough hearing) turning on the high/low alerts, which will definitely be helpful, but somebody still needs to treat them. But if you have a sports oriented lifestyle where you need to be disconnected for long periods of time, Auto Mode is not appropriate for you. The 670G & Guardian 3 are still great and are things you should have, but don’t expect them to allow you to no longer need to put any effort into taking care of yourself.

1 Like

I agree with what you’ve all said.

This article reads more like commercial than a news report. The teenager talking about handing the pump over during the game seems like a carefully scripted, “and it’s so tasty too!” (I Love Lucy reference) Disconnecting for a game would take something more than just unplugging and replugging.

I remember a fellow talking to us about an insulin pump when Caleb was diagnosed. We were still in the hospital and the thought of him connected to a catheter conjured images much more dramatic than was reality and I was horrified. She made it seem like, plug and play/set it and forget it. When we finally started pumping, we had an awakening. Expectations were just not properly set.

That’s what this article makes me think. People will have unrealistic expectations and implementation of use of this pump will be all the more difficult. When Caleb was looping, we still needed to watch. The pump could not shut off basal enough for those intense activity induced overnight lows, so although risk is lessened overnight, it’s not eliminated.

2 Likes

I’ve been on the 670g for 15 months. My time in range is 87%. I now have maybe one low every two weeks rather than several times a day. One of the most outstanding features of this pump is steady blood sugars every night. Generally I don’t snack before bed and the pump keeps me around 120mg/dL. My endo was almost giddy when she looked at my CGM graph.
Getting to that point required a lot of work and research on my part with help from my trainers.
Every diabetic is different and what works well for one is completely different for someone else. Some folks have a much easier time adapting to this than others.

If Colton detaches his pump for sports, I don’t think the 670g has any advantages over any other pump. In fact, I doubt Colton’s CGM would keep working while he’s playing. Without active CGM readings, the pump goes into safe mode. Basically if he’s going to detach, he would use the “delivery suspend feature”.
On forums and social media sites, a T1Ds choice of pump and CGM can frequently be controversial and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.
Just because I had a bad experience with a pump doesn’t mean I should bash anyone else’s choice or bash that person because they love that same pump or CGM.
Medtronic seems to be the subject of a lot of bashing over the years. I have used 2 different pumps for other companies that both left the insulin pump business, leaving me pretty much high and dry, and oh by the way, neither was Animas.
If possible, I’ll stay with the company that’s been in business since insulin pumps have been around so I don’t have to worry.
Whatever Colton decides to use, I hope will help him keep his bg stable.

I think you said it better than anybody.

My thoughts exactly after I read this article, I’m surprised they weren’t told this by their trainer and/or endo, hopefully they aren’t too disappointed when they are forced to use Manual Mode.

I love Medtronic, especially the 670G & Guardian 3. I was also a user of the 530G & Enlite before that. I will admit that the Enlite was not the most reliable or accurate CGM in the world, but that doesn’t mean the Guardian 3 isn’t better (because it is). I think there are a lot of people that don’t recognize how much better the Guardian 3 is. I will even admit that I was somewhat skeptical about the Guardian 3 when I was being upgraded from Enlite to Guardian 3, after I gave it a chance, I am very glad I did. If somebody is happy with the pump & sensor they have that’s great! But like you say, that doesn’t mean you should bash the others. Every brand & model will have some frustration and require some getting used to.

They get bashed because they deserve to get bashed - My own thoughts are they pulled off the biggest scam in history on the diabetic community with enlight sensors - they tried to rip me off on billing and simply lied at every turn for 12 months - they actually told me I had to prove documentation that they sent to me ( how do I do that go back in time to watch them mail it? ) They are a horror to do business with. Bashed is too good a word. If I had the power to make one company disappear from the face of the earth it would be them.