Ibolus

check out this study, looking at 'ibolus' feature ( insulin dosing based upon CGM data) versus traditional meal bolus ( carb ratios, correction, etc...)

The thought is that the emerging diabetes tech, smart pumps, cgm's, will enable better post prandial control...

what they are studying is the area under the curve... cool...

think it will work?

Here is the link

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01550809?term=artificial+pancreas&rank=21

Interesting...it doesn't get away from the need to carb count, according to the study, but it will adjust the insulin dose and corrections based on recent history of doses and responses from the CGM. I think it has a good chance of fine tuning the insulin dosing based on the body's recent responses.

That looks interesting. A lot of the time, at work during the week, I could probably get away with that, as my days are sort of similar and once it's "dialed in", it seems to work pretty reliably. If there were any variability, I would be leery of using a CGM. To me, it's not the "smart" of the pump but the accuracy of the CGM and meters that are the problems with a lot of therapy decisions?

I'll bet the scientists $100 I can beat their machine!

It's intersting when they say

a set of solutions (the iBolus) that contains a bolus insulin dose, a specific mealtime basal insulin dose and the time for restoration of basal to baseline values.
So the bolus is a double wave.

But it's only a bolus wizard, no continuous feedback from CGM postprandial readings, no qualitative estimate on food used (low/high glicemic index).
I think it's best to spend time and money on AP alghoritms, semi closed loop systems are almost ready to use.

I've had really good results w/ a bunch of basal settings, to crank it up a couple of notches at mealtimes, but then you have to turn it off and all that too?

I meant dual wave, also said combo bolus (link)

I think they mean you use such a bolus and the algo tells you how much, how much delayed and how long