If I could teach newly diagnosed people one thing, it would be

I would teach newly diagnosed people “diabetes problem-solving and positive confrontation skills.”

Too many people are blamed by everyone else for being “bad” or “non-compliant.” It’s tantamount to endless mental abuse.

4 Likes

Self-reliance is a difficult skill to teach, but one of life’s most important lessons.

3 Likes

“It’s going to be OK. You can do this, although you’re going to need help. And needing help is OK too.”

3 Likes

I would teach them how to kick box any person who thought that “non compliant” was a word to describe any diabetic.

Sorry, you said ONE THING.

But, I’d like to tell them that This gig can be managed.

4 Likes

I would teach them that unless you were legitimately on track to being an airline pilot or an astronaut, that diabetes shouldn’t cause any limitation in your life whatsoever… and in the 1:1,000,000 chance that you were, course changes are a normal part of life…

2 Likes

Please teach newly diagnosed diabetics about carbs and how to limit them to suit their body.
It will save them from being labelled ‘non compliant’ a simply dreadful term.

3 Likes

I would teach them NOT to be a VICTIM. Own it!

3 Likes

I would teach them to limit their carbs and of course be able to count carbs as part of that teaching. That doesn’t mean I would expect or want someone to eat no carbs. Just not to overindulge them as that will put them on the dreaded roller coaster

Thank God, someone said it!! Does anyone know how many horrible diseases and terminal prognosis are read over a desk each day as the patient is im complete shock!!! Diabetes is awful for any patient and family but if you take your meds…including insulin, exercise and careful monitoring, especially while newly diagnosed, you could be more healthy than most of your friends and colleagues. If you dont eventually it wil catch up to you. Look these our are children. Its our job to hold them, help them and love them…however it is not our job to enable and act as if nothing will come of this. I get it, life is hard and no one wants their children to suffer in any way but the cards were handed along time ago and the game does not stop for “Its not fair”. In not securing their compliance ( and yes you can cheat sometimes) you are condemning a future. I had a fiancee aak me, " So you wouldnt get mad if I said this to your child" my reply…" If it came to her life and ability to enjoy it or even live it and you didnt tell me…I could never forgive that. Lets just say no ring anymore. This is life guys, it was never intended to be easy…so fight hard and completely educate on every level. I am an RN as well and I have seen soooo many sad stories and outcomes. Im not talking 60 or 70. These have all been 20 to 40year old telling me, " I wish I would have had someone making me do it, like it or not". That should say it all

Thanks for the followup Summer. Exactly my point… everyone gets a trophy today… but did they earn it?

I AM healthier than 90% of my colleagues. I’m a 50yr old dad, raising 4 children, coaching softball, chasing 30+ Boy Scouts in the woods, chasing my kids track meets, and still find time to get to the gym 3 times a week, eat right (and you better believe I’ll have a donut now and again :slight_smile:) Oh yeah, and have a career on top of that. Sure, I’m a 25+ year T1D, but its just something I have to do.

T1D is hard, but being a wimp about it will help you NOT!

2 Likes

Finally I can actually sigh with relief that an educated person who doesnt have the…everything is too hard syndrome…truly does exist. I was starting to think I was the last one. You know I was married had a beautiful daughter and in love. My husband died 7 years ago and she was so close with him but I told her a year or so later…Honey life is hard, and your mommy will always be here with you, to lead you or to guide you but the rest of this world will not give you a free pass at 18 bc your hero died. You have to go through it, not around it, but through it! Nothing about it will be fun but this is yours so make it happen. I NEVER would allow my daughter to be a victim and thats what parents do to their kids. With mine as Im sure yours…Get Up And Fight!

By the way toss the rock your under, we need you on team " You Can Do It", Mr. Underarock

2 Likes

Terribly sorry for your loss Summer.

I would teach a newly diagnosed person with diabetes to do the experiment. While there are some general rules to help guide you, like calibrating insulin doses to the carbohydrate content of your food, your body will responded differently to others. It will also respond differently at different times of the day. The only way to learn about your varying glucose metabolism is to closely observe, experiment, and draw logical conclusions.

A willingness to experiment will educate you about your body. The doctor does not have the answers to most of your questions. You need to become your own expert. Knowledge is power. Gaining this knowledge through experimentation will help you to own this disease. Owning your diabetes will help you avoid one of the most damaging attitudes towards any human disfunction: denial.

6 Likes

In the words of a former admin here David, Diabetes is a marathon not a sprint.

3 Likes

I wonder what ever happened to @David_dns. I hope he’s well.

1 Like

To the newly diagnosed, one thing is you are not alone with diabetes.