If theres no long acting left, how often would you correct with fast acting?

has anyone ever done this before? and for how long?

I think there is no save way to achieve this. Analog insulin is very potent but short acting. You will have to test and inject at least every two hours. Obviously this is not possible at night. If you are out of options you could try to find NPH insulin in the pharmacy.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with Holger on this. A pump uses rapid to mimic a basal so it certainly works, the real question is what level of control you will tolerate. If I recall, you are newly diagnosed and take little insulin and are probably still in the honeymoon stage. A real question would be if you say skipped your basal, how much would your blood sugar rise? If your blood sugar only rose to like 200 mg/dl overnight then you might actually get by simply adding a correction into your meal boluses to restore a normalized blood sugar. It wouldn't be the best control, but it may well work. Others may be different, without basal they might rise to 300-500 mg/dl and beyond overnight in which case that just won't work.

We must remember, before the availability of NPH in 1950 people actually only took animal insulins (roughly the profile of Regular) and they only took a couple of shots per day.

I did this once for two days. I am a light sleeper and I am always waking up every 2 - 4 hours, so for overnight I would test whenever I woke up and would give myself my basal for the next 2 hours, plus any correction. During the day, I was testing every 2 hours.

It "worked" from the standpoint of not always being 250+, but I was glad when it was over and I could go back to pumping. I had better control during the day, but not a lot of flat-lining within range.

I did this when I was switching my basal time from pm to am for the large dose. I test a lot anyway and I was running high alot. Then it happened again when my novo pen echo malfuncitioned, also went to 200 and above sometimes and I was running high to start due to the change, but fast acting only got me back to range once or twice I think. It was a crazy few hours each time, at least the first time I knew what was up and was at only 150's most of the time which sometimes happens to me anyway for no apparent reason.

In theory though, if you take the right dose of fast acting every hour or so you should be able to have some form of good control. I was also walking around and active while most of this was going on too.

Indeed, I would think one could plan to be a bit high before bed (150), give a proper correction dose which in theory gets you back down to goal in about 4 hours, at which time you only have about 4 more hours unmanaged before waking up to correct again.

This would be a better approach than trying to be on-target at bedtime, then going 8 hours without management and then correcting.

Doesn't even have to be 150. 120 would work. Just enough to administer a measurable dose, throwing in 4 hours worth of basal as well.

In the end, this really just boils down to a stacking issue. With a good smartphone app that can calculated IOB, it should be possible to work out a rough protocol/schedule to stay controlled, although not what we all would consider "good" control these days.

If my pump fails I will dose every four hours, food bolus/correction + basal (supper bolus) dividing my food consumption into 4 small meals plus a correction in the middle of the night... I have never been without a pump for more than a day and do not intend to use long acting insulin while waiting on a new pump.

I've done this a couple of times when my pump failed, and it isn't hard. And you don't need to dose every two hours. I have my insulin action time set to four hours, so I take a shot every four hours around the clock. (I try to start it at midnight, so I only have to get up once in the middle of the night.) My dose consists of:
4 hours of basal insulin (for instance, if basal is 0.8, then 3.2 units) AND
Insulin for a correction bolus (if needed) AND
Insulin for a food bolus (if needed).
Add these all up, then round to the nearest unit or half unit (or however fine a dose your can get.) It's doable for a couple of days. And, since I don't have any long-acting insulin in my system, it's much easier to start back up on the pump.
If you are not on a pump, you still should be able to break your long-acting insulin into four-hour windows.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

thanks very much for all the information!