If you have uncontrolled diabetes, does this disqualify you from using Pump therapy?

It’s likely he is skipping insulin dosages. Running that high makes me think he’s skipping basal AND bolus insulin dosages consistently.

The bigger question that needs to be addressed is WHY he’s skipping shots. HIs regimen may actually be completely appropriate for his needs, IF he would just stick to it.

Then again, this is all conjecture.

Maybe he does in fact just need a LOT more insulin - maybe he has severe insulin resistance.

I think a lot of us are making assumptions because we weren’t given enough information on how he is/isn’t trying to care for himself.

Besides forgetting insulin, it is also possible that the highs go in combination with being on a rollercoaster. When I was on Lantus & before figuring out how to manage gastroparesis, I was literally going between 30 and 300 everyday. No one heard the “30s,” they only heard that 300. If he is already bouncing all over the place, adding insulin is only going to compound that problem.

It is possible he has gastroparesis. If he is going low after meals, maybe he cut back on insulin to stop the lows and doesn’t realize that he can split his doses up. I did not realize that I could do that until 2008 and I have been diabetic for 27 years – that is something most doctors don’t bother to tell you.

I would like to give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt. I know when I asked for help from doctors, I got none. It wasn’t that I did not want help, because I asked for it. One day when one of the doctors was criticizing me, I even said, “tell me what to do and I will do it.” I was met with blank stares and no response.

If he is forgetting shots, it is also possible he has some memory issues going on. I have 2 things going on right now that cause brain fog – I used to have a really sharp memory but can’t remember my phone number right now. I have alarms on my meter set and I remember going to take insulin but I can’t remember whether I actually took it or not.

Actually, uncontrolled diabetes is a rationale for pump therapy, particularly if he can pair it with a CGM–that might actually give him better insight into what’s happening with his BGs to bring his numbers so high. Some people do a whole lot better when the machine is there to manage their basal for them, and when they have an alternative to pulling out a syringe. If MDI isn’t working for him, and it obviously isn’t, then alternative forms are indicated.

Also wondering if, given the doctor’s resistance, he’s working with an endocrinologist who specializes in treating T1s, or if his current doc generally treats T2s. If so, I’d echo the call for a new doc.

You all have brought up great points. I’m sorry I don’t have more info on his health regime… I’m going to try to find out myself. I don’t know this man, only through his wife. I appreciate everyone taking time to respond. You all are the best, I really learn a lot from everyone. :slight_smile:

Hi, Everyone~
I was able to speak with my friend and found out he has scar tissue due to having Type 1 for over 30 years. It seems his insulin doesn’t always absorb well, leading to the high BGs. He also has to take the highly concentrated insulin which would then lead to very low BGs. The good news is that his liver is doing better with his new diet and has greatly improved.

He has been testing 8-10 times a day and the 400-500 BG is now gone, although he is struggling with too many lows due to the special diet he is on. He sees a new Endo next week who might be willing to consider the pump with him, especially since he is putting in the effort.

Thanks for everyone’s responses! Take care~

Hi Jessica, Glad to hear your friend is doing better now, Just read your original post and quite frankly it amazed me, how any any doctor refuse to help with any method possible ??

I live in Australia and just ordered my first pump which I have fitted at the end of June, my endo told me not to have too good an A1c as that would disqualify me, so its the total reverse over here ! They view it as the next step in better control.

hope your friend is able to qualify and hope they find another doctor ready and willing to support them.

good luck
Nat