If you’re new to the community, please introduce yourself!

I had trouble figuring out how to use this site. I am Dave and have been dealing w/issues now for 10 yrs. At 65 now I use 3 oral medications to keep me at 7.8. Should be lower this month as that will be 30 days when Invokana was added to my 20 mg og glipizide and 2000 mg of met. I will see. I’ve considered asking to go on insulin again. Any ideas? Nice reading a number of post though very unnerving. I hope all do well.
Take care, Dave

3 Likes

Hi,
General background. I am 61 yo, have been a night shift ICU nurse for almost 40 years, have a daughter up in Vermont, currently live in Florida, and have missed living in the Chicago area almost every day for 17 years. Oh, I’m part of the third generation of what used to be Adult Onset Diabetics. BTW, none of us were over weight when diagnosed.

Last spring when my father died in his 90’s, I saw my sister for the first time in about 10 years. She had an open sore on her foot. When I asked, she said she had had something removed about a year earlier and it had not yet healed. Not good. About a month later she let me know she had just been diagnosed as DT2.

Being a nurse, I promptly arranged to have my own blood work done. The results were surprising. Yes, my fasting glucose was a bit elevated and my HbgA1c placed me as pre-diabetic, but my insulin level was on the low end of normal. OMG! Was I on the way to LADA? Since I couldn’t get an oral glucose tolerance test with insulin assay without a physician’s permission, I had to see my physician. Did I mention I avoid doctors outside of work? So she ran the usual labs and agreed to the 3 hr OGTT with Insulin assay.

Results:
fasting glucose 114 or 6.3
1 hr glucose. 217 or 12
2 hr glucose 112 or 6.2 note drop >100 or 5.5 in one hour
3 hr glucose 38 or 2.1. After the test, I drove to Sam’s Club since I didn’t know anything was wrong. Luckily, no accident.
Insulin levels were normal. No LADA.
Conclusion: pre-diabetic with reactive hypoglycemia. This really explains so much.

I now have an endocrinologist. I try for Ketogenic in my diet, but end up eating carbs at work due to stress. Once I start to eat, I can’t stop. I eat until I go to bed. To counter that, I fast intermittently 18-72 hrs, depending on how I feel. My last at home A1c was 5.3. Whooo Hooo. Now to keep this going for the rest of my life, since diabetes can be controlled, but not cured. I am also extremely excited that I have an appointment in a bit over a month to see about a Freestyle Libre. I have no hypo awareness since almost all the symptoms are consistent with sleep deprivation and an astigmatism.

I have been active on the diabetes.co.uk forum, but didn’t know of any forum here in the USA

My goals:
2 legs with 2 feet and 10 toes.
Being able to see and read well into my 90’s
Being able to walk and take care of myself well into my 90’s
A strong and healthy heart
To make friends someplace other than dialysis

5 Likes

Hi @hdsl!

I hope that the Invokana can help you! An A1c of 7.8 is worrying. If you don’t see significant improvement with Invokana, it would likely be worth pursuing insulin options. I’ve read that it’s really important to hydrate properly on Invokana.

Are you dieting or exercising at all? Exercise can have a big impact on your insulin sensitivity. Welcome to the site! I hope you’re able to find some helpful information on here.

Welcome @Kailee56! Sounds like you’re doing everything you can to stay in range. Glad you’re on top of it! I hope you stay healthy and meet all your goals.

katers87
March 13 |

Hi @hdsl!

I hope that the Invokana can help you! An A1c of 7.8 is worrying. If you don’t see significant improvement with Invokana, it would likely be worth pursuing insulin options. I’ve read that it’s really important to hydrate properly on Invokana.

Are you dieting or exercising at all? Exercise can have a big impact on your insulin sensitivity. Welcome to the site! I hope you’re able to find some helpful information on here.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

hdsl
March 12 |

I had trouble figuring out how to use this site. I am Dave and have been dealing w/issues now for 10 yrs. At 65 now I use 3 oral medications to keep me at 7.8. Should be lower this month as that will be 30 days when Invokana was added to my 20 mg og glipizide and 2000 mg of met. I will see. I’ve con…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Ty. I do exercise 1 to 5 hrs 7 days a week. My meals are healthy but I snack.

Take care, Dave

1 Like

Hello,
My name is Sylvia. I am a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed when I was 60. I had. Tumor on my pituitary gland that caused a lot of issues. I came to this site because of the discussions around the Medicare/CGM controversy. What a dumb decision. Glad to be part of the forum.
Sylvia

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome.
Was thrilled to go from 5.7 to 5.4 in 7 months. Of course the 5.7 was after losing 20 lbs a few years ago eating mainly low carb. Was probably higher. It’s amazing how one lab test can change your life. Now I have something else to be OCD about, beyond work. :rofl:
What I find funny is that a lifetime ago, my final paper for my MSN was the effects of diabetes on vascular endothelial cells and the systemic repercussions. I remember because it was a bear to research and write. Then I went into cardiac intensive care nursing. Maybe the universe was telling me something. It sure has my attention now. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Hi, I am new in this forum. I am Jesús, I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 12 and I am now 40. I am using Dexcom G5 for one year and a half.

I’m looking forward to learning from others

3 Likes

Hey there! New member, my name is Maggi. I’ve had diabetes(type 1) most of my life, almost 25 years. I live in the US, Minnesota. Uhhmm yeah, not sure what else to say.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m technically not new to the community - I joined back in 2011 when I was first diagnosed - but it’s been a long time since I’ve been around. I’m back because I really want to get my diabetes control in check, and I need better focus and support from others who know what it’s like to make that happen.

I’m a mom of twins, yoga teacher, and crossfitter, and I’m currently dealing with dawn phenomenon and lows that have been hard to rebound from. I’m looking to go back to an insulin pump in the very near future to combat this.

So, hi again. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Ann. I’m new to the community but have been a T1 diabetic since 1993 having been diagnosed in grad school. I’ve been an Ominpod user since 2008 and just recently started using the Dexcom CGM.

3 Likes

Hello everyone! I am a type 1, diagnosed at age 15, 58 years ago. Started on NPH, with glass syringes and self sharpened needles (boiled daily), food exchanges and Clinitest urine test kits. Have been a Medtronic MiniMed pumper since 1998 and have been using the Medtronic 670G for about a month and a half (Auto Mode for 3 weeks now). I must say that since starting with a pump I have reversed and virtually eliminated my retinopathy and protein leakage through the kidneys. Using a pump did really change the direction my life and life choices were heading towards. I am here to learn more by seeking information and new strategies in dealing with this new technology productively and efficiently.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Caren and I just joined TuDiabetes about a week ago. I recently found out that I was pregnant with my first child and I’ve had Type 1 diabetes since I was less than 2 years old.

Joining this forum has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all of the wonderful members who’ve replied to my posts with their positivity, encouragement, and sound advice. I also want to thank the forum’s admins.

Living with diabetes my whole life, I’ve always felt alone and out of place with no one to really share my experiences with. TuDiabetes has been such a safe haven for me and my partner in the short week that I’ve been a member.

I’m hoping to help someone and offer valuable advice/encouragement here to anyone who needs it, as many have already done for me. THANK YOU!! :heart:

4 Likes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Alex. I’m 27 years old and I have had type one diabetes since I was 13 months old. I’m a college student at one of Penn State’s smaller campuses majoring in English and minoring in information science and technology (IST).

2 Likes

You could be a 50 year medalist!!! Medalist Program at Joslin Diabetes Center

From what I understand, this can be incredibly helpful in diabetes research because it helps them identify the markers of complications. You can actually make a significant impact! Not too many people can say that…

I look forward to your contributions on this site :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m Liz and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at a young age.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I formally introduced myself since joining a week or so ago!

My name is Angelina & I’ve been a T1D since 04/14/1997, when I was 9 years old. I am currently using the Omnipod & the Dexcom G5. I was on & off the Omnipod due to insurance problems, but since January I’m back on both! My A1C has been a roller-coaster through the last 21 or so years, but I am on the right track.

I’m really appreciating this community, and am glad to have found it! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m Dinesh Mittal from Belgaum, India. I’m currently working as project manager in Vinutan IT solutions. From past 10 years I’m suffering from Type 2 diabetes. I take oral pills as well as insulin. I’m very happy to be a part of this forum

2 Likes

Hello to all,i am mrsbeebee70,i am a type 1 diabetic for 43yrs.i am a mother of 2girls and grandmother of 4.retired and love to garden.

2 Likes

Hiiii,
So this is going to be a little hard for me, because I’m latin and I may have some orthographic fails haha. Leaving that aside, I’m going to introduce me. I’m Josefa, Jofa for my friends and family. For me, the idea of having a bunch of people like you guys, that are here to talk and be supportive is like being in a huge family, so I’m Jofa for all of you. I’m a 15yo girl who was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in July 4, 2014. I’m constantly going through changes in my glucose haha but that’s other problem. I’m a very cheerful and happy person, I can always support people that I don’t even know, receiving in exchange a smile trough the distance :heart:. Like the most of you, I’m sometimes in good and bad places. Most of the times, I need someone to talk when I’m like that, but that’s the problem; my family, friends, teachers…etc. can’t understand me like you do. So here starts the second real journey in my life! I really hope I’m able to make friends and be the best version of my.
With all the love of my heart, Jofa.
If u wanna chat, message me!

2 Likes