If you’re new to the community, please introduce yourself!

Hi all! I’m Luis and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Feb '16. While I was in the ICU, my wife starting doing research online and learned about LADA. When we talked to my doc of over 15 years about it, he said “Oh, don’t believe what you read on the internet.” He was firm about me being a T2 diabetic simply because I’m Latino and slightly overweight.

Eventually, we found a new medical team that tested me for antibodies and I found out that I’m Type 1.5 LADA (and this has been confirmed with additional GAD and C-Peptide tests over the last 2+ years). I’m still on my honeymoon, and I’ve been able to maintain a 6.2 - 6.4 A1C after 8 months of diagnosis (was 12.8 at Dx, brought it down to the 6’s 6 months later).

I was on MDI (Levemir & Novalog) until about a month ago, when I finally got a Dexcom G5 and Omnipod. I’m discovering new ways of managing my BGLs using this combination that I wasn’t able to do with just MDI and my Glucometer! I’m a bit of a techy person (I build and modify my own audio equipment) but know my limits, so I look forward to learning more about control using the Dex and Omnipod from more advanced users!

Hola @Jofa_dt1,

Tal vez te sientas más a gusto en EsTuDiabetes.org, es nuestra comunidad hermana en español.

Hi, my name is Jennifer, and was diagnosed with Type 1 20 years ago, and I use the Medtronic 530g pump. I’ve had quite a few ups and downs and some complications but am committed to taking better care of myself. I’m hoping talking to other diabetics will help!

Hi guys, I’m the newest member of the crew, my family has a history of Type 1 diabetes. Then recently I experienced excessive thirst and urination which I know is one of the early signs of having diagnose od Type 1 Diabetes. I’ll be having my check up next week and I hope that it does not that severe it. ;). Anyway, my hobbies are playing computer games, watching sci-fi movies, and reading books. I do hope to get along with everyone.

Hello! My name is Jean and I am a newly diagnosed diabetic. My A1c is 11.1. I’m going back to the doctor to talk treatment plans tomorrow. I would love it if people shared ideas for questions I should ask tomorrow. I look forward to getting to know everyone. Thank you!

Hello All,

I am an 18 year veteran of treating my diabetes with insulin. Shots, the pen, Deltec Cozmo (still in mourning), Animas Ping, Accu-Chek Combo and now the MiniMed 670G with Guardian Sensor 3 CGM.

I’v been on the MiniMed 670G pump for five months and the Guardian Sensor 3 CGM for three months. It has been quite a mixed bag for me. The pump has been good and really no issues there except having to use a meter and the pump every time I check my sugar. All the other devices I’ve had only required one device because the meter could do all the functions the pump could do so no need to pull out the pump. The Deltec had the meter connected to the pump so you had to pull out the pump but still only one device. This is a big factor for me and the main reason I have never had a Medtronic pump before now.

The reason for getting a MiniMed now is the closed loop and auto mode. I had high hopes for it however I had my first visit to the endocrine today and my A1C went from 6.7 to 7.5. I am of course quite disappointed but my endocrine adjusted my active insulin from three down to two hours and told me to enter a BG before every bolus even if it is just the reading from the sensor on the pump. She also told me to start an exercise program. We shall see.

I hope to share my experiences with T1D and the technology and read many other peoples experiences here.

-Colt

Hi @Jean9. Welcome to the club no one wants to join!!

It’s hard for me to know what to recommend regarding questions for your doc. It depends a lot upon what treatment they recommend, what type of diabetes, and what may fit best with your current lifestyle.

Maybe you could create a thread detailing the new treatment methods recommended by your doctor, and we could help you determine some next steps and questions for the next doctor’s visit.

hi! i’m emma.
mama to 2 healthy boys.
i was diagnosed with pcos, took 10 yrs to get pregnant and had gd with both pregnancies.

Hi my name is April, I was diagnosed T1D in 1981 @ the age of 5. I am Married and have 4 kids non are Diabetic. I am on a Medtronic pump and new to Dexcom Cgm. Which I love the Cgm. I have always done what I wanted not being a Good Diabetic which has resulted in having Heart Disease and Kidney. But, I am here to regroup and learn new things that can help me get myself back on track.

Hi, I’m Jimithy. I’m 63 yo and have been diabetic since 1998. My father had type 1. Back then BS readings were done with urine tests and were very unreliable. He tried his best but I saw his health decline and numerous hospitalizations before he died in his mid-forties. I’ve always been scared of this disease.

I’m type 1 now but it happened in a strange way. I was diagnosed with type 2 in the spring of 1998. I exercised more and changed my eating habits so that my average BS was 124 during the summer (without using medications). At the end of August 1998 my VA doctor put me on cyproheptadine (off label use of a first generation antihistamine) to reduce PTSD symptoms. My pancreas stopped producing insulin almost immediately.

Suddenly I became insulin dependent. It turns out that this drug was used to make animals diabetic (for research purposes). I contacted a diabetes researcher at U. of Michigan (now at UCSF) and was told it shouldn’t ever be given to people. This drug hasn’t been used legitimately as an antihistamine since the early 1970’s because it was never very effective. Doctors are still playing with off label uses even though there is nothing but anecdotal evidence that it works for anything.

The VA had me start using an Animas pump several years ago. Last summer it was switched to a Medtronic 670G and this February I got CGM and began using the auto mode. Last week I figured out that the glucose sensor is the most accurate when it’s on the back of my arm.

I’ve had a few problems with Medtronic and the auto mode. I found this forum while looking for people with similar problems (and hopefully, solutions.)

@Jimithy
Hello !!!
Some really informative posts regarding the Medtronic 670g and specifically with regard to the auto mode have been written by @DrBB. You may find them quite helpful plus he is great to ask particular questions of.

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

Hello. I’m new. I’m Aggie. I’m 31 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in January of 1997. I use Medtronic’s 530G and the Dexcom to treat my diabetes. I’m also 12 weeks pregnant with my first child. Experiencing a lot of ups and downs with this pregnancy. Most downs I’m sad and ashamed to say (morning sickness, high blood sugars, depression/anxiety). But I’m trying to get through this with my handsome and supportive husband :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,I’m Ray.Type 1 -just started using the Medtronic 670G.

Hello, My name is Milinda and my nephew was diagnosed with type 1d in November at 18months… everyday has been a crazy roller coaster and we have been trying our best to support both my sister and nephew… my family and I are worried that we might mess him up somehow by not catching his symptoms we try our hardest to be on top of him and there are times I just feel like what if I do something or give him something and he ends up in the hospital again… he’s been in and out of the er from November till feb it’s been over A month since he last had to go in but now I’m up at 2:30am worried that his sugars might go up to high because I forgot to give him his bed time lantus… I’m sorry not the best way to introduce myself huh… I hope with this group I can help find different ways to help him and be there for him without messing up like I did tonight…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I am new to the forum. However, I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes 14 years ago. I am currently 66 years young and newly retired. Now that I no longer have a stressful job I am focusing on my diabetes. Previously I just checked my blood glucose in the mornings, taking my Basel insulin at night and occasionally checking my meal time blood glucose. My A1C ran from 8.0 to 7.5. My doctor just told me to try to get it lower. Last December I decided I had better get serious about my diabetes so I searched online. My online research directed me to the book Using Insulin by John Walsh. With the directions from the book I was able to adjust my insulin usage and get my A1C down to 6.1. With all the blood testing I checked with my doctor and my insurance company and I was able to get a Dexcom G5 CGM.

Through this forum I have taken additional steps to learn about my Type 2 diabetes. From this forum I learned about Jenny Ruhl book Diabetes 101 which was mentioned in the forum. Her book has led me to Dr. Bernstein’s book Diabetes solution. Now I am working on eating a low carb diet and watching my CGM readings. I feel confident I will get my diabetes under control. The forum has helped me with my Dexcom and with the low carb diet. I just wished I was this informed 14 years ago.

Hi All. I’m new to this forum, but have been Type 1 diabetic for 20 years, diagnosed at age 8. I, like I’m sure many of you have, have had my ups and downs with T1D. Currently, my diabetes is pretty well controlled (A1C of 6.5), I use a CGM (Freestyle Libre) and will switching to the miniMed630G insulin pump today! Can you tell I’m excited!

I love that there are forums like this to connect to other T1D’s. I wish I would have known about them when I was in high school, but super excited to be joining you all now :slight_smile: