If you’re new to the community, please introduce yourself!

Hello, new here as well and trying to figure out the navigation of the site. Trying to edit preferences, avatars, etc but I do not see them on the home page (I watched the video and I don’t see any screens that remotely look like the video and the preferences page does not work).

Our 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with T1 almost a month ago. We are coping as best as possible and learning as much as we can. She is a trooper as she gives herself shots and checks her own blood.

We will probably be getting a Dexcom CGM which will require her to have a phone (no big deal really) but it looks like the G5 app (and eventually the G6 app) only work with certain Android phones. It seems like it will work with Android 7.0 only on CERTAIN phones. I am still a little unsure. Best bet might be to get her a Straight Talk iPhone 6 as those have come down in price and the apps seem to work with Apple phones. I think my wife and I would only need the “Dexcom Follow” app and I assume it will work on any phone (mine is a couple of years old and runs Android 5.1 – I have no desire to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do, I hate upgrading phones).

Anyway, we had the usual symptoms. Thirsty all the time (including the middle of the night) and too many bathroom breaks. We took her to the pediatrian who immediately admitted her to the hopsital and our journey into the “secret society” began.

For the most part she only needs the Levemir pen once a day, Novalog maybe two days a week. Still in the honeymoon period and we watch those carbs and have been able to control it to the point where most of the time Novalog isn’t needed.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new here and I was recently diagnosed with t2 diabetes. I’m reading on how to manage it without taking metformin since I don’t like it. It makes me dizzy and nauseous. I’m 19, still young will I die by not taking metformin?

Hello Everyone,

Hope you doing well,

My name is Lissa and I am new here.

1 Like

My name is Mary Lasrado
Been diagnised with Type 2 diab. for almost 15 years.
Need to find out how best I can control my blood sugar levels
Thanks
MLasrado

Hi, everyone. I’m Laurie, I’ve been tyoe 1 for 57 years and don’t remember a time when I wasn’t diabetic. I grew up with glass syringes, metal needles and urine tests.
20 years ago I got my first pump, it changed my life and I’ve never looked back. I just switched from Medtronic to Tandem Tslim and am using a Dexcom. I’ve gotten lots of great tips about both from these forums, so thank you.
I’m looking forward to getting to know people and the forum.

I was diagnosed with type I when I was 10 back in 1980. I did just fine all the time under any circumstances, until I hit my late thirties. Everything fell apart. I know that there have been British studies that indicate that some people don’t do as well on recombinant insulin as opposed to the old beef or pork. The timing matches, but who really knows.
Don’t ever think that your child can’t or shouldn’t do something just because they have diabetes. They can do anything. I’m proof. If you really want, I can list them all for you.
I now work in social services, and believe me, if you feel bad about diabetes, let me tell you about what I see every day! While I have some other medical issues, I am still grateful that at least my diabetes is something for which I can administer self-maintenance.

1 Like

Hello, I am new here. I’ve been T1 for 16 years (WOW! Has it been that long?!). I has gestational diabetes with my first child that didn’t go away. Doctors now say that I must have had it before the pregnancy, but only found it during. I used injections until my second pregnacy when I got an Animas pump. I used it for a few years and then due to a change in insurance. I had to go back to injections. I am now being directed toward another pump. I look forward to being a part of this forum!

1 Like

Welcome @Arrakis10!
A friend told me that the extended-release Metformin pills cause fewer side effects. She was originally on the immediate-release pills, and had lots of digestive problems. If you’re not currently using the extended-release, it’d probably be worth trying those out or at least talking with your doctor about them.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I just learned about this community so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Anna and my Dad was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in November 2016 at the age of 63.

Hi there. I’m Julie. I am a 44 year old Texas girl who loves her family and loves the Lord. I have 3 kids: 16, 14, and 9. and have been Type 1 since 2004. For some reason, I have been reluctant to join any type of chat rooms or forums before now but am now excited to be a part of this community. I recently switched from an Animas pump (sad day) to the 670g. Hello to you all!

Hello from British Columbia! I was diagnosed T2 just over 2 years ago, but when meds didn’t help (despite trying numerous ones), I was referred to an endocrinologist who did more extensive blood work. Due to those results, he determined that I have T 1.5, leaning closer to T1. I started Lantus 6 months ago, and 1 month ago Humalog was added. I am still trying to find just the right doses to keep me within the suggested range (currently 7 units of Lantus nightly and 2 or 3 units Humalog before meals), but I’m confident I’ll get it where it should be. My extended health plan (Green Shield) won’t copay for the Freestyle Libra or Dexcom, so it’s an awful lot of needle pricks every day, but we do what we gotta do, right?

Hi!
This is SamV. I live in Michigan. Was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in my 20s while I was in university. Both my parents are type 2 and it’s genetic on both sides. Seems like everyone like my cousins and aunts have type 2 early on in their lives as well.
Two years ago I had gotten pregnant (but miscarried). My endo put me on insulin (Humilin and Humalog) 3 Times a day, for the first time in my life and in addition to Metformin 1000mg twice a day.
Since 2016 I have gained weight and have now reached 200 pounds the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I am no looking to reduce my weight and A1C (presently at 7.1) but in vain.
If anyone can ping me to a group on this forum please let me know!

@SamV, Losing weight while taking insulin is possible. There are strategies that can help. You might try limiting your carb intake. The fewer carbs the less insulin you will need, insulin does promote fat storage in the body for many people. Another thing you can do if you aren’t doing it already is to exercise, this will also help reduce your insulin requirements.

Check out the Healthy Living category. There you will find many suggestion for living a healthy life.

Hi all! I was diagnosed type 1 a few months ago at age 36, so this is still a very new adventure for me. Started Dexcom a couple weeks ago (very happy so far), and am considering trying Omnipod, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to take that plunge just yet! I don’t really know anyone else with diabetes in real life, so I’ve looked to the Internet to learn from others experience! I’m taking things one day at a time, and trying my best to stay active and positive. I’m looking forward to making some connections with others in the same boat!

Thanks! I’ll tell my mom about it.

Hi lilymarie, is it true that keto diet causes halitosis? I want to try keto diet but am afraid of the side effects

Hi there! I am a newly diagnosed LADA. Like every stereotype, I was misdiagnosed as Type 2 in December 2016 based on my A1C of 12%. I was instantly put on metformin and Januvia, and we cycled through various other add ons - Invokana, Trulicity - and then watched my A1C go up, up, up over 14 months, from 5.9 to 6.4 to 6.9 to 7.2, with me changing nothing. (I exercise 6 days a week and am a pretty good eater.) I have had various autoimmune conditions and do research for a living, so found out about LADA and thought that looked like a likely scenario. I talked to my MD, she ran a test, and boom. I had GAD antibodies galore. I went on Levemir that night, and my new endo put me on Novolog with meals and gave me a Freestyle Libre that is crazy space age. That was 2 weeks ago.

There are a few disturbing things, for me. First of all, all resources seem to be directed towards juvenile diabetes. There are very few resources for adults who have been recently diagnosed, except for this board. Most adults with juvenile have been counting their carbs their entire life, and can’t explain how to do it. They know nothing about any resources available, like apps, to help do so. They just know because they have been doing it forever. How about those of us who haven’t? Secondly, why did everyone assume I had Type 2? Both of my MDs who saw my A1C of 12 knew I had a history of autoimmune disorders. Why not test me for LADA right away? Even more than that, the original MD who got the result of 12 only got it BECAUSE I ASKED HER TO DO THE TEST BECAUSE I WAS REALLY THIRSTY. I mean, not only did she know that I had myriad autoimmune disorders, the fact that I had gestational diabetes 21 years ago was in my chart!
In the few hours that I have been on this board, I have learned more and gotten more assurance than in my 2 weeks as a LADA-ite. I can tell already that this is a great community and look forward to also contributing as I become more expert at managing my (our) disease.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am Mark, from Holland, in my late 30s and diagnosed with T1 in Sep 2012.

After using MDI for 3 years, I have been using an Omnipod with Humalog/Novorapid for the last 2 years. I also switched to a Freestyle Libre roughly 2.5 years ago.

I generally have my Diabetes under control (HbA1C is fine), but tend to spike after meals, only to drop into a hypo 5-6 hours afterwards.

1 Like

Hi Mark! Welcome to the site :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what methods you’re using to manage your mealtime boluses, so forgive me if I’m repeating advice you’ve already heard. Prebolusing is a very effective strategy to dealing with the issue you’re describing. Determine a time in advance to bolus before you eat. You might try 30 minutes for high glycemic index meals and less time for meals with more protein/fat. The time differs for everyone, but you’re essentially waiting for the insulin to be closer to its peak before you eat. You may find that you can cut back on your dose and not experience hypos as often several hours after eating. There’s lots of info on this site about it.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to your contributions!!

Hello katers, thanks for the welcome!

I already found out iteratively that prebolussing helped to solve my issue to some extent. Funny thing is my endo looked at me with disgust when I told here my regimen and thought it was irresponsible. However, even when I prebolus the problems persist, so I am currently trying FIASP (with mixed results, see my other contributions :wink: )

1 Like