If you're 84 mg/dl and you know it, clap your hands

Type1Gal -- I find your focus on the "differences" between T1 and T2 to be both unhelpful and, frankly, more than a little offensive. I've never once thought or said anything that minimized or trivialized T1 or what T1's have to go through in order to manage their disease.

I wish you could offer me and other T2's the same basic respect.

If you cannot, then I at minimum expect you to abstain from minimizing and trivializing T2 when posting a reply directly to me.

I'm here to understand diabetes, be supportive of others, and hopefully get the support I need to manage my diabetes well. I do not come to TuD to engage in one-upmanship or to trivialize what others are experiencing.

If you are sincerely interested in learning more about the progressive nature of T2 diabetes, there are lots of articles on-line. If you can't find one, I'll be happy to rustle up some links for you.

In the meantime, for your information, I am insulin dependent NOW, will probably be insulin dependent for the rest of my life, and that is really all I have say on the subject.

Jean, we're having a lot of sun and a bit of rain, good spring weather. Good spring to you! And I absolutely agree with every word you just posted. Cheers.

Hi Trudy, I'm glad you're getting a bit of spring. We had a wee dusting of snow yesterday, but it didn't stick. Today was a comfortable, peaceful day -- a bit of drizzle, a really great classical music concert in the afternoon, and now a green salad and some baked chicken. 125 mg/dl and life is good. ;0)

I don't know where they get this stuff. I also don't know how they can set a limit on a sliding scale and tell you to inject X amount of insulin for "250 mg/dl and above". WTW? Haven't they even heard of calculating a correction factor? Don't you think that how a person corrects 250 might be different than, say, 450?!? It's a bit scary to think of it.

I'm so glad I found you and TuD and really good books and websites to help me!

I instructed to take 35 units Lantus when I left the hospital. Had staggering, about to pass out cold lows. The answer to this problem--eat more. Don't raise the bridge, lower the water. Was my first clue as a new diabetic to strike out on my own. Heard from others who were also told to use 30-35 units Lantus as their starting dose. Must be the accepted. Eye rolling.

Was also given sliding scale, of course. Couldn't understand that for just the reason you stated. Quite scary.

Good on you! I wish I could wake up at 79 some morning. Dawn phenom stalks me like my own shadow -- can't get away from it!!! Any dose that knocks out dawn phenom also sends me into the 50's in the wee hours. Grrrr....

I just have a habit now: get up, tinkle, test and correct. It's like clock-work.

"...Don't raise the bridge, lower the water."

Isn't that it in a nutshell?

All this "you must eat precisely one bazillion grams of carbs at each meal and then inject a whole bunch of insulin to cover it" is just...gah.

You got it. Some are still functioning from old NPH days when people had to eat to prevent lows on unpredictable insulin. Others are simply ignorant.

All the snacking is absurd also. Who eats every two hours? Snacks before lunch, before dinner & before bed & taking (stacking) insulin to cover all that between meal eating. I was reprimanded several times for not snacking. Sorry, I don't eat just because. Of course, eating high carb begets hunger, so eat even more.

You need a pump ... ;)

Before I got the pump, doing a shot of Humalog at 3:00 AM was the only way to not wake up at 200+. It worked, but was annoying.

Even on very low carb my total daily dose of insulin is right around 90-100 IU. I don't think that will work with the pump very well, will it? I would worry about absorption problems from using a site for even one day, much less three days or more. I split up all my doses, so I'm probably using eight to ten sites every day...??? If I could wave my magic want, I'd prefer the pump (the Omnipod, I think -- I don't like the idea of tubing very much) but between the cost, lack of insurance, my allergies to adhesives and the "too darn much insulin" issue, I think my dreams of pumping are sunk.

I like to eat every 3 hours or so. Maybe it's a habit but I sort of like to take a "break" by eating mid-morning and mid afternoon.

That's great. Keep up the good work. It is nice to see double digits on our meters.

LaGuitariste,

I don’t post much on this website but your comments have prompted me to come out and join the conversation. First, thank you for so eloquently defending T2’s that are insulin dependent (as I am as well). I find the T1 vs. T2 comments very disheartening and often turns me off to this website.
Second, I wanted to share that I have been on the Omnipod pump since October and have had the best BGL’s (80-120) I have ever seen since being diagnosed in 2003. Getting off the Lantus and MDI’s was the best thing I did! I am very fortunate that my company’s insurance is pump friendly (especially the Omnipod, as the company I work for is a parts supplier), though I did have to jump through the usual hoops. What surprised me most about switching from Lantus/Novolog pen to Omnipod pump/Novolog vials was I actually saved a little money and I have FAR better results and compliance. I have not experienced as many issues as other Omnipod users often comment on as I have had only 1 occlusion and 3 pod failures in approximately 6 months of use. I do see that different areas have better absorption than others and I have to use Skintac barrier for better adhesion and it decreases reactions to the adhesive. My only other “issue” is the disposable nature of the pods (though I have found the batteries work in many of daughter's toys so those get recycled :-). But, given the results I have seen and the ease of use this T2 loves the Omnipod.

-T

oh please! and every time another type 1 mentions the differences between type 1 and type 2..they get a spanking from the admins, which I know who it is. some ADMIN just sent me an email saying type 2 isn't about diet and lifestyle, give me a frickin' break, it's ALL about that so boo hoo hoo! what planet does that admin live on. type 2's can make choices, that's the point.

oh, and what are they 'the admins' going to do ban me.. who cares!

It's not all about that. I don't have T2 but have read enough to understand that it's a genetic "quilt" of intertwined issues. I don't think that saying it's diet and lifestyle is very productive as, despite whatever demographic trendencies people making that assertion can point to, there's more to it than that.

Diet and exercise are important for everyone. Modern medicine can keep people alive longer without "investing" time and energy in those things but the improvement to one's quality of life one can gain through them is useful for anyone, not just people with diabetes.

Yayyy!!!!

Hi Jean, I'm doing a happy dance for you and with you this morning! I join in your glee at numbers in double digits. I feel like I'm walking around grinning every time I look at my Dexcom now...I keeping holding the receiver up to show my husband the pretty flat line with the double digit and say "LOOK!". :)

I echo what Pethead wrote before me...the OmniPod has made a world of difference in my struggle with diabetes. I never would have believed this dramatic a difference so quickly would be possible. Combined with low carbing at an average of 40 grams carb per day, I've been in range 90% of the time in my first week on OmniPod with no lows. I wish there was some way that you could have access to that tool.

And on the Type 2/ Type 1 thing, I think we have to remember that we're stronger together than we are divided. Together, we're all just people with diabetes. And, in this case, PWD-on-insulin...doing a happy dance!

Agreed. We should all do our best to eat a healthy diet and get good-quality exercise, as much as we can manage. As the old saying goes, "It won't hurt and it might help."

I feel much better since I made healthy adjustments to my diet and started moving more -- and my BG's and total daily insulin dose reflect this.

I think athletes have different nutritional needs than older, more sedentary people (like me!)

When I was dancing 15-20 hours per week, I ate smaller, more frequent meals. Now that I get paid to sit on my bottom, staring at a computer screen all day, eating that frequently feels like a recipe for disaster. I'm eating three meals now, tops. Sometimes just two meals.

I'm just not hungry (especially since I cut out the carbs) and I don't need the calories so...why force myself to eat and inject more insulin?

I could live off of my "excess" for a year, and isn't that what it's for?

Hi, and thanks AZPethead. That's interesting about the Omnipod. Maybe I'll be able to use it in the future, if I'm on different insurance?

Do you mind my asking what your total daily insulin dose is now? I'm curious if Omnipod sites can handle a high-throughput of insulin?