In public or Not?

I test in public, so far including restaurants, a park bench, a farmers market, during lectures, at intermission at plays, and during the break at outdoor rock'n'roll concerts (needed some lighting help there to find the blood drop). I work in a reasonably loose environment, so I can also test there.

I also inject in public, particularly (natch!) in restaurants. It's pretty discrete with a pen, particularly since I do it through my shirt. Coworkers are frequently unaware that I use the pen to actually inject anything...the needles are pretty small.

ZZ

I test in public anywhere, everywhere. I only had one friend to privately ask me not to test at the table when we were with a group at an upscale restaurant. It did not bother her, but she claimed that one of her "friends" at the table( I had never met this woman) was deathly afraid and would pass out at the site of blood. ( I wonder how she dealt with her own "monthlies"). I told the friend who asked me not to test why it was such a big deal, as I could test in my lap,under the pristine white tablecloth: All would be obscured from view. She says that she was just trying to keep the other friend safe. I complied and went to the restroom to test.It was clean , as this was a very high end place, but I did not like it.
This same close friend had once complained to me about a prior viewing of a young graduate student who was working with inject her insulin her belly in public. She though it was gross and showed "no manners". I asked her why. She said she thought that injecting was a private thing as well. I know now that I have to ask when I am around her, as SHE is probably the squeamish one.

When I was on injections, I only "shot up" around friends and family. I just did not and do not like showing my thighs or belly to strangers while injecting. It is not about the shame to do an injection for me. I was raised to be Southern modest, and though I wore hot pants, mini -skirts, and mid-rif tops in the 70's.. I was not supposed to put my insulin syringe in those exposed areas, as it was not considered polite to lift your clothes to inject in public, so said my parents. weird. Well, I still will if an insulin injection is needed, go to another area. I will not pull up my shirt or skirt to inject in public. Though I will readily reach in and pull out my pump from its cradle in my bra( I will cover my front with a napkin or a shawl or jacket but only if in formal,or regulated place, like church or a professional meeting.Any other times, I just dig in and pullout, no breast exposure..Just a bit of that old school "modesty" to an extent. LOL. I do not feel comfortable injecting exposed areas in public, but I think that it is left up to the individual diabetic injecting insulin.

God bless
Brunetta

From what you said, I would agree it's your friend who was skittish about testing in public... Let's hope she never finds herself in our situation. As for "southern modesty" we up north do have some of that also. I know that you understand this, but for those who are new to injections etc, in public or private, most of us I am sure don't pull our shirts up over our heads to inject in our mid regions...nor do we drop our pants or lift our skirts up high enough to expose anything more than a thigh....I as I said, will sit next to the wall or next to my husband if he's there, and will lift enough of my shirt to get at a prime spot on my mid section and inject quickly and quietly....I haven't used my thigh as yet, but then I don't wear shorts or short skirts, I'm sure for that process, I'd need some space and would excuse myself, or inject in the vehicle. We do what we have to do when we have to do it. Whether we are comfortable in public or private is our decision and choice, we just have to take care of ourselves.

Hello to all, well my situation was that at a younger age I felt embarrassed and somehow I disliked the fact that people ot even (ignorant) people (no offense) would ask questions like does it hurt? Or is contagious? Or how long have you had it? And somehow the look on their face was like feeling sorry for what I had, I mean it was very bothersome, but as I grew older I saw that most of the time the process of checking.and taking the insulin was dome discreetly or fast that no one really paid attention to it,thoughat time when Im out and eating I just check right there and then and just put the pen.injection either on my arms or stomach, to me it just isnt important who sees or doesnt, though I wouldnt like to cause any bother to anyone I just keep it low key

I've talked with several young people, ages 9 - 17 mostly, about their diabetes and how they feel about checking etc. Some had pumps, which they tell me other kids think are cool (some thought they were for music :) ) and others do have pens or syringes to deal with. They say they mind "stupid" questions, like contagious, what can they eat, and a puzzling one, "how can I get it?" Otherwise, they have few problems with their testing and injections, except at school, where the rules change with the game. Some have to go to the nurses office to do it, some have to check in front of an adult and the lucky ones can take care of it themselves. I asked if their friends know about what to do in an emergency, and they all for the most part said, yes that was part of their fear is that no one would know what to do, so many of them, 9 out of 12 have gotten up in front of classes and gave a short "what to do if" lesson. Pretty cool, that they are less afraid of people knowing than adults. OH and one group was selling medic-alert bracelets not just for diabetic kids, but for any medical problem a child might have, allergies, blood types, injury information etc. They use the money so kids can go to Diabetic camps in the area.
WOW!

I test and inject whenever and wherever I am. I have never been ashamed or worried what others think. I am early 40's and was diagnosed when I was 1. I hear stories of my mom dropping my pants bend me over her knee and inject in resturants and ball games. I guess I was just brought up feeling it was natural, and it is. I relate it to breastfeeding. If ypou dont want to see...................turn away. Nothing wrong with feeding your child anywhere as that what gives them life. Insulin gives me life.

1 Like

AMEN!!!!

I test and inject in public . No way do I want to use a bathroom full of germs. I put everything on my lap or in my bag and work from there. I try to pick my spot at the table so I can be as discreet as possible. Everyone I usually go out with is great . I also just got a dexcom continues monitor which has been very helpful in the juggling on my lap ,with that all I have to do is read my meter and get my pen ready so one step is taken out of the equation. Not for nothing I have had my dexcom for 4 weeks and donā€™t know how I managed with out it.

I test, inject and pump in public. Hey its only blood for goodness sakes. OK well some folks might be bothered. I do it discretely as possible, but really it is not like I do ahh well never mind. I just am not embarrassed. I test, inject and pump loud and proud. I always have.

1 Like

Hi! I test in public, when used to need injections I went to the bathroom, only when I had the pens I did it in public, mostly in my waist, now I have the pump so no problems, just some questions from people that with pleasure I answer (what is that!? a bipper/telephone with cable? etc ) only ones came across some young guy that tested and injected himself in a pizza place in NYC, I thought was owesome, hold myself from going and kiss him hahahah

I guess I am more comfortable not being exposed to those who judge what is on my plate with my condition. Exposing that, exposes the judgement of others and those know it all types that would scream if I ate an apple (lol).

Having been in the closet with my D for a very long time...including to myself, it was so freeing to start testing myself and injecting in public. It's about being responsible and no longer hiding from myself OR from anybody else.
I'm out of the D closet and have been so for 15 years.

Say it loud...I'm D and I'm PROUD!...song to the tune of the old James Brown song Say it loud!

I do attempt to be somewhat discreet but hide it? Absolutely not going to happen EVER again. Hide in a bathroom? Not a chance...period!!!!

I've been on a pump for about 10 years so discretion is more easily achieved.
1 Like

I test and take insulin from a syringe in public if I need to. Why should I care what anyone thinks? I have noticed that some co-workers will treat me differently after they see me take insulin. It's as if they think I'm taking illegal drugs or something. However, it's their problem not mine. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. If I am sitting at a common area with a co-worker or family member, I usually say "will it bother you if I test my blood sugar" just to be polite.

As a matter of courtesy I do my best to be discreet, including stepping away from the table to inject. Not a question of hiding or shame, but before I was T1, I had friends who were and I know for a fact many (including me) were squeamish at the sight of needles and blood, particularly at the dinner table. There's nothing wrong or shameful about shooting up or testing, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be mindful of those around us. I will say that a CGM/pump combination (recent for me) pretty much eliminates the issue - just press a few buttons and apologize for checking email in the middle of dinner . . . no one knows.

I am often times "jealous" of people who have a pump, because being out in public seems to be so much easier to take care of your diabetic needs (If I am wrong, please excuse my ignorance) For example, because I now have to do testing before meals, I need to carry all my "d-stuff" with me....I would love to find a bag or whatever to put everything into it, and still be in style so to speak. I am a small woman, and to carry a back pack into a movie (which then around here gets searched for "snacks", or a nice dining place is not acceptable. But to me, remember I am sorry for my ignorance, a pump would make a huge bag unnecessary. It's great that you consider those around you, but T2's don't seem to have that luxury when we have to test or inject,.....I wish there were a better way.

Actually many of using pumps carry more than we did when on MDI. We still test - actually I test more often now than when I did on MDI. Plus I carry an extra insulin penā€¦just in case of a pump/Infusion set problem, an extra infusion set and extra insulin. Iā€™m a guy and carry a ā€˜purseā€™ so that makes carrying everything easy. And no, no one gets to search my bag for anything, ever!

Didn't understand that, but I should have thought about the possibilities. I saw a guy a couple of weeks ago, didn't know him, but he had the coolest bag, and I've been looking for one like it ever since.....any ideas of where? It had a side for his "D" supplies and then another for wallet, pen, etc....not huge, just an over the shoulder bag...very nice

I have no problem testing at the table,injecting if the meal is appropriate. I donā€™t inject at noon.as long as I am polite about it ,I am fine doing it. Nancy

Try ebay. Look with words "bag" or "purse", plus, the name of whatever bag type you can come up with. There are thousands of them. They are not made strictly for diabetics, but I do not think it is a necessary requirement for us as well.

You mean to tell me we don't have to have a SPECIAL bag? I'd better tell my old CDE that, she said it had to have about 10 different requirements to be a certified diabetic bag.....and cost $100....but she sold them off the hospital campus too. SCAMMER!