In public or Not?

I like Adorn diabetes bags; I do find those made for diabetes to be handy. https://adorndesigns.com/

Every diabetic bag I saw didn't fit my taste, so I figured that I do not need anything extremely special, just a bag, not too small and not too big, with a decent amount of inner pockets for the sake of organization.

I inject in a plane, on a train, in a car, in a bar, I'm a regular Dr. Seuss with regard to my diabetes self-care.

That being said, I NEVER knowingly ever make a spectacle/scene in any manner about it. I have both tested AND injected soooo discreetly, the woman next to me at the same (round) table never knew I did so.

Provided it is not a "specticle", I see no problem doing so. Some people are terrified of needles, blood... do not wish to make them uncomfortable if I can avoid it.

1 Like

Since I spend (used to) a large amount of time out in the woods/forests/swamps in Florida,I just re-purposed one of my outdoor bags. It is by no means a "European Shoulder Bag", it's a manly-man shoulder bag :-) VERY rugged, not too stylish, but then neither am I: Cargo pants & t-shirts.

I've gotten several comments from nurses in the ER (yes, I've spent too much time there this year) and while out and about. Mainly from the ladies that think something like it would make a great gift for their husbands/boyfriends.

I carry the Jumbo Versipack, not too big, not too small. It also makes a great minimalist, manly diaper bag.

www.maxpedition.com

They started out as a outdoorsman/shooting sports accessories manufacturer and that is still their primary focus, but they have added many less 'tactical' products in the past few years.

Wow. That's a neat one. I like that.

Thanks! Iā€™d carted the idea around in my head for years! The top hat was like a daybeforeattenPM add on I stumbled upon online!

I actually made a blog post about this subject back in June.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/fear-of-needles?xg_source=...

I'm the type of person who will try to be discrete about it. (test under the table, shot in stomach, etc.) But if someone says something to me, I will probably cuss them out. I feel that keeping myself alive shouldn't get me shunned by the rest of society.

Its just a tiny needle. As long as it isn't pointed at you, theres no reason that anyone should make a big deal out of it. If they DO make it a big deal. I'll make it an even BIGGER problem :D

As far as bags go, I'm in my early 20s, so it is perfectly acceptable for me to wear one of those draw string backpacks out in public. I found one with a zipper compartment, a main pocket, and 2 cup holders. It can hold everything I need just fine.

1 Like

I do everything in public, its never ever been a concern although when kids are present I tend to be a bit more discreet. I've always been very open about my diabetes and of course run through the if ands or buts about my condition with anyone who knows me. Honestly I'm proud to be a diabetic and have no reason to hide it, 43 years and counting. Cheers.....

1 Like

I test in public. No big deal.

I test and inject in public if nessacary. I am on a pump so injecting is kinda a thing of the past, but if I had to inject in public, I would do it. Yeah, I feel like everyones eyes are on me (or is that my imagination), but I have to do it, and Iā€™m not going to the bathroom because of that. People around me know I am diabetic but when I am in a new place with people that donā€™t know, I just tell them and explain.

I opened a discussion post (https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/injecting-in-public-areas?xg_source=activity) about this a month ago, because I was writing a paper on about breaking social norms. Though injecting is nothing bad or illegal, it may be akward for others.

I am new at this and felt at first like a spotlight was on me when I tested in public for the first time. Now I am quite comfortable with it (and more efficient at the process!) and also inject pretty much where ever I need to do so. Sometimes I use the restroom in public in places where I know that cleanliness is not a problem and need a quieter setting. I havenā€™t been to a really high-end restaurant since my diagnosis but would probably test and inject privately in such a setting since ambience is a big part of the experience for all the diners.

I used to test and inject in public with aplomb. However, I do have to admit that having a CGM and pump increased the "feeling like a normal person" index substantially when eating out.

I don't know, I am just private about my testing and injecting. Blood isn't something I "want" to see, mine or anyone else's. I test, at my desk but prefer, when noone is around. Everyone knows I am diabetic not ashamed about that. I pump so, the only thing I really inject is my victoza and the only place you are supposed to inject that stuff is in your belly. So, since I don't want no one seeing my big ugly gut, I do that in the privacy of my bedroom. Just the way I am.

Nothing wrong, or worthy of criticism in anything you wrote!

OOPS, sorry! I just realized this in under Type 2! All I could think was I would never leave my house or likely end up dead if I didn't test in public.

This has been a great conversation. If I haven't learned anything else I learned that people with diabetes are not ashamed or afraid of it usually. If you are a private person about anything, you test and medicate yourself in private....just make sure that the place you are doing this is a little cleaner that a public restroom. If I know we are going out to eat in a place that very open, I will test in the car and use my insulin in the car.... otherwise, I am an "in public" person, get over it. I don't make a big deal out of it, I just test, and medicate. Those people who know me well know I am diabetic and have been through t his with me often. Those who don't might not even know, except that I am digging in my purse often. What ever or how ever you choose to treat your self in public, don't hide, but do take care of you,'

I test in public but discreetly. I don't empty my contents on the table. Just as some who might have to take a pill before they eat, I also need to complete an action before I eat. Honestly, I don't care what other people think but I always ask my companions if they mind. And with the Dex, I sometimes skip the finger stab and go with my chances.

I test my BG at work at my desk which is in an open area with people coming and going but i make sure that I have alcohol swabs and pill bottle with a lid to put my test strips and alcohol swab when iā€™m done. I used to lick my finger where i tested but i didnā€™t want to gross anyone out.

1 Like

I test in public frequently, i do have people, come up to me, & ask what iā€™m doing, i say i have diabetes, & they, go-on with there business,.

i need to test, if they donā€™t like it, oh well, i can care less,.

4 Likes

I agree with eric! I also test & do insulin injection in public, if people donā€™t like it - too bad, but i feel like people are generally ok here, and are willing to learn about life with D.

3 Likes