In the United Kingdom - not keen on bs testing...?

Hi there, I also am surprised that your Dr. told you not to test even a couple times a day to see how your sugars are fairing. I test 7-9 times a day. I get concerned when I don’t know what my sugar is. I need to know.

I did find it strange a few years ago when I was at my then, new GP;'s office for an appointment. I had forgotten to phone my Pharmacist(they phone my Endo’s Secretary and she faxes the new prescription to the Pharmacist so I can pick up my meds.,later that day )for a refill so I asked my new GP if I could get a prescription for my 300 One Touch stripes. Well, the look of shock on his face I can’t forget. He repeated what I said and asked why I tested so much(I’m a Type 1 and I told him I tested 8 times a day). Well, of course now, I was alarmed. I said,“Because I want to and my Endo told me to go for it”. Then he said, “Oh, okay”. :smiley: What a Funny Guy. I don’t know if it makes a difference but he’s from Ireland.

My Husband’s job covers all our meds. except we pay the Pharmacist $25. at the beginning of every year. I guess that would be Group Insurance. I know nothing comes off his cheque for our meds.

Gee whiz, you would think the Drs. and Nurses would be encouraging you to test so you will get used to it and so you and they know where you stand. Then you could cut back or cut out certain foods and then maybe know when you need extra exercise, etc. I wish you Great luck Cathrynn, with your testing situation and Good health. :o)

Hi Linda,
Don’t beat yourself up over the concern about tests. I think most of us get concerned when we know something has been out of whack. You are always an uplifting and supportive person. So I am sending you a big supportive hug. Your tests will be better. They WILL be better.

Cathrynn, If your test is a 9, like Linda said it is a 9. But now you know more than before and you will do better also. So I am sending you a big hug too.
Meadowlark is best with these, but I am learning too. You WILL get better.

Was chequing my messages before hitting the hay…thank you, Saundra, for the uplifting comment…that’s what this group is all about…supporting one another…around the globe!

I am soooo glad to know you all…have learned SUCH a lot now…:slight_smile:

Here in the U.S., there is a television program dedicated to diabetes called dLife, and one of their main messages is best described by their tagline: “Test, Don’t Guess!” because the simple fact is that the ONLY way one can possibly know if their treatment plan is working effectively or how they might need to adjust it is to see where you are through testing. In general, its advisable to test just prior to eating and then about 3 hours after each meal, as well as when you get up in the morning (that may be the same test as your pre-breakfast, or maybe not). The reason is so that you can see exactly what your blood sugar is doing and how food impacts it – that way you can also understand if your treatment plan is working sufficiently.

I will say that many family doctors/general practitioners aren’t the best at managing diabetes because they treat so many different ailments, ranging from heart disease to gynecology, and they may not have continuing medical education (CME) credits in diabetes treatment that is recent enough to fully know about what “optimal” care may be. You can, of course, ask your doctor but feel free to be candid about why you’re asking. Also, the National Healthcare System in many countries does try to limit expenses that doctors recommend, so limiting testing in some patients is a huge cost-savings, but its not necessarily the best possible care.

Cathrynn
You should just be able to click on the picture or the name of the person you want to reply to(Where it says “Reply by”) … Doing this will take you directly to that person’s page.

~Kristy

“Endo” is short for “endocrinologist” - a doctor who specializes in disorders of the endocrine glands, or in hormone disorders. Most, if not all, T1s in the US are referred to an endocrinologist for diabetes management; many T2s on this list have been referred as well. I’m one of those who sees only the GP and has managed well with self-management and self-education. I think also that when I was diagnosed, my insurance may not have supported CDE consults. (“CDE” = “Certified Diabetes Educator” – a health care professional who specializes in teaching people with diabetes how to care for themselves, and assists them in setting up the necessary lifestyle changes. Many CDEs also have specialties in nutrition and can provide resources for meal planning.) My Other Half went from “borderline” to “T2” about eight months ago and was told to set up CDE appointments.

Hi Cathrynn
I am a Type1 who lives just down the road from you in Newbury. I test all the time and my GP and Diabetic Consultant are both very encouraging.
To discourage you from testing regularly because they think it will cause anxiety strikes me as rather condescending - they should be delighted that you want to take control of your Diabetes!
All the best
Catherine

oh…good to meet another uk-er…:)…perhaps it is because my own gp and diabetic nurse dont take the borderline stuff so seriously? yes, it is condescending - my doc was the same about my bp…but I bought a monitor and now know much more how I am with thebp…so that makes me NOT worry!!!

Take care…Cathrynn x

Hi again, Cathrynn…another thing that should make docs want to encourage those with pre-diabetes to self test, is simply that it may postpone getting full blown diabetes, and thus be LESS of a drain on the national economy (if you want to think of it in dollars & cents/sense!)…best wishes…linda in canada.