Increased carb sensitivity on low carb diet

Or maybe just have a drink. Nothing worse than a dry drunk, even if they’re insistent on telling everyone else how amazing their “recovery” is :frowning:

1 Like

I’m sorry to see this topic veering towards a critique of type1grit. I give the leader credit, he did turn around Dr. B’s outreach and he now puts all Dr. Bs videos and classes up on youtube. But if you want a better way of discussing low carb you might consider the Bernstein book forum or here.

To me it seems pretty obvious, when you do LCHF you “adapt.” Your body adjusts to what it is eating, it changes the enzymes you produce to match you diet, you produce more bile to deal with the fat and your body “expects” meals to be low carb, probably blunting your response to meals. You are even advised to “carb up” before an OGTT to make sure you don’t fail it as a non-diabetic simply because you have adapted to a LCHF diet.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear some of your stories from your interaction with the Typeonegrit group.

I’m a member of that group and they can be very supportive, knowledgeable, positive group of people.
I do admit that I don’t always agree with their ways or behaviors online outside of the group itself. Especially the whole “bombing the comments/feed with graphs, charts, images and memes” instead of taking the time to answer legitimate questions. I think that kind of behavior can be very off-putting for some who otherwise might be more open to trying low carb as a way of achieving better control.

I do see it sometimes as a defense mechanism by some people in that group, as they spend so much time defending themselves in front of doctors, medical staff, family members, etc that they develop these automated responses to the point they just don’t bother actually articulating an argument.

In any way, let me please apologize on their behalf. They are a group of passionate people who mean well.

As for the initial topic over here, I will say that speaking from personal experience only, I seem to be more “carb sensitive” now than when I ate a high carb diet. However with that said, I don’t know if I was quite in tune before as I am now, to any small change in overall BG. Just something to consider I guess…

5 Likes

I’ll confirm @MayaK"s take on type1grit. I participated in their forum for a while and they were generally very supportive of the few things that I said. I remember that I was able to help one member with using the extended pump bolus to dose for protein.

I found that they were primarily a type 1 parent’s group with a sprinkling of adult T1Ds like me. They are doctrinaire when it came to following what Bersntein publishes and their results are great. A few people didn’t like my raising the topic of Afrezza but some were curious about it. As much as they hew to the Bernstein party line, as a group they favor insulin pumps whereas Bernstein tries to steer his patients away from pumps.

They are very big into low carb recipes. Bernstein favors low carb but high protein for children and that’s what they aim for. Their recipes and pictures of food are great.

Certain personalities gravitate to certain situations. This is a group that has a clear set of treatment expectations and like the clear structure. Maybe they have a little of the seige mentality as low carb for diabetes has met with a lot of mainstream diabetes skepticism for so long. Maybe they take a bit too much competitive pleasure with their A1c numbers but that’s just human nature. Overall they’re a pleasant group of people who fight against the same thing we do, all day, every day.

I like their group name with grit in it. Dealing with diabetes does take grit.

5 Likes

I want to apologize for my initial post on the topic of type1grit.

I regret how negative it sounds upon re-reading my writing. I was venting a bit about my own experiences with a handful of members I don’t even know, and ended up generalizing about the entire group. Having never seen “inside” the group, I only see the few members who post on the outside. I don’t think anyone should be discouraged from joining or assume all members are the same, so I’m sorry that my post gave that impression.

I didn’t know that the type1grit community had anything more than a Facebook group and a Pinterest board (which is great). It sounds like they have done useful work on YouTube that I wasn’t aware of. I’m sure they have helped many people with their resources.

6 Likes

@MayaK, I tried to join twice to gain information on how practically people implemented a low-carb diet, and was never allowed to join. I don’t know if this was a deliberate rejection or just the person who is moderating the group was busy, but I found it to be the exact wrong way to help people get the message out.

I actually think if they had been a little more welcoming, relaxed and just generally seemed open to questions, I might have given low-carb (or perhaps lower carb) a more directed try with my son. In the end it just seemed like it was too much sacrifice to ask of a 2-year-old, but who knows what calculus I would have taken if they’d been more welcoming.

Hey @Tia_G because the group has many parents who share personal and medical information about their T1D kids, the admins use a screening process in which they will actually use private messages/chat on Facebook to individually talk with any person trying to join. The problem is that Facebook makes it very hard to see messages from people who you’re not already friends with. It hides those messages/requests under different folders like “other” and “filtered” and won’t notify you. You have to do quite a lot of digging to find those.

I initially thought I was rejected too until I started digging around. When I found the message from the admin and responded, we started chatting a bit and he asked me some questions just to verify that I was indeed type 1. We had a nice chat and he was nothing but nice, warm and welcoming.

I just wonder if you actually got rejected (did you get a message stating a reason?) or if it was just a fluke that you didn’t see the private message. Another admin mentioned that if you don’t have a profile photo or really much in your profile, they’re not likely to approve you as it raises their suspicion about your intentions as well.

In a real sense, perception sometimes is reality. I wonder how many people have experienced the same apparent rejection you two are describing, and, as a consequence, never availed themselves of what could have been highly valuable support. Some barriers are real, and some are unintentional, perceived, or accidental. It’s one of the reasons Manny made inclusiveness a bedrock principle of TuDiabetes, and one we work hard, to the best of our ability, to preserve and protect.

3 Likes

I’m not sure which admin I spoke with in the group, but I did chat with her and was still rejected because I said I was “exploring” low-carb and was eating around 70 grams a day and thinking about going lower. She did point me to some useful resources, but told me to come back to the group if I decided to make 30 grams a day a permanent change. So that experience is what left me frustrated and feeling as if the group was overly restrictive.

Being T2 and although I vary between bernstein and keto, I’m not a member of T1grit either. I don’t tick the T1 box :smiling_imp: the group wouldn’t be a help to me.

There is no one size fits all. I think forums is where you work out what you want, I think most would visit a few.
The groups are more for when you need support with your decision. low carb bernstein is 30g, with more protein than LCHF keto.

some want to do keto, I guess the LCHF ketogenic groups 20-50g ,would also be restrictive about carb intake and who joins their closed groups.

there would be lower carb groups with 70-100g carbs on FB and such. Even some of the nondiabetic, general low carb forums would be good places to discuss this.
Then if you wish, find a group with your common goals.

I guess it would be the same as joining a WW group on FB and posting about LCHF, it will go down like a lead balloon

bottom line.[quote=“Jen, post:29, topic:57913”]
I said I was “exploring” low-carb and was eating around 70 grams a day and thinking about going lower. She did point me to some useful resources, but told me to come back to the group if I decided to make 30 grams a day a permanent change.
[/quote]

Wow. I’m really sorry about your experience @Jen. That is so interesting to hear as I know for a fact that not every single person in that group sticks to 30 g of carbs a day. I believe most do but there are many who don’t including even some members who are vegetarian and vegan who openly discuss how they consume up to 60 grams a day. Everybody there respects them and their decisions because they still manage to achieve good control which is the bottom line.

Actually, my perception is that they want members of like views. I am T2 as well, but I have a background which I mentioned immediately to R. D. Dikeman and I didn’t get further questions. I don’t really follow it much, it is mostly about announcing good results and not about management advice. They do post links to videoteleconferences, their pintrest board and things like that, but I already know about that. I find TuDiabetes a better source of advice.

The moderator controls all topics, you can comment, but that is it. And it is Dr. R.D. Dikeman and you will likely get pushback if you counter anything he or Dr. B says, so just keep that in mind.

sorry, I should have put a smiley at the end, it was tongue in cheek because I’m not T1 and the group wouldn’t be a help for me, nor me to them

the front page that we see is the mod posts, the discussions between members would be inside, I think.

This is what I ended up joining, a general low-carb group. But they don’t know anything about diabetes, so it’s still not a place I can ask any questions. I do see Type 2 diabetes come up sometimes as there seem to be some members with that. But when I asked about Type 1, I got no responses.

It’s true that you can’t talk about low-carb on any of the general Type 1 diabetes groups without having the conversation shut down either because the admin don’t like it or because it ends up in a huge flame war.

Maybe I will try to join again at some point. I did end up going lower than 70 grams a day in the end, but for me it’s still something I go back and forth on, not a permanent change yet.

1 Like

@MayaK, If I have time I will go digging through my Facebook profile to see if I ever got a message. I do have a photo, but my profile information is private because I don’t want snoopy McSnooperson strangers to know much about me.

@CatLady06 Me too. As much as I love rice / noodles, it’s one of my danger foods.
This has become far more apparent over past 2 years with CGM. My only choice has been to not eat it :frowning:

Rice, noodles, potatoes, bread . . . not part of my normal diet. The way I react to them, I might just as well eat a bowl of sugar and be done with it.

1 Like

@Tia_G @MayaK I’ve talked to one of the admins and was also referred to the same person. He was nothing but rude. I follow a low carb diet for part of my bodybuilding. Was seeing if anyone else had done the same or stayed strictly low carb. I was told that I’m either all or nothing that you can’t have a low A1C with doing both (just depends on if I’m bulking lean muscle or in a cutting phase). Well I took a screenshot of my most recent A1C which was taken a week prior with my info and doctors office info, sent it to him, and asked how was a 5.6 (which I still have) possible then. It’s either there way or no way. So I found another T1 bodybuilder who does the exact same thing.

1 Like

I was clearly told I was killing myself by eating 100-150g of carbohydrate a day. This despite the fact my A1c is 5.9 with a 18% standard deviation. Very odd. I give anyone who seems cultish on the subject of diabetic diet a wide berth.

1 Like