Increased Low Awareness

I know I've been gone a really long time (school, family, lack of sleep--it all catches up eventually). I've mostly been good--the Cycloset seems to be working well, I haven't lost a single ounce, and I can't wait for school to be over so I can go back to eating like a normal person.

I had a scary experience yesterday, though, and I wanted to ask if anyone's heard of anything like what I think might've happened.

I walked home in the absolute pouring rain yesterday--so bad my sneakers are still soaked. By the time I got back, I knew I was low--I could hardly get up the stairs, practically couldn't peel off my socks--but when I tested, I was only 66.

I hardly ever get lows anymore. I used to get 5-6 per week, with one or two of those being in the 50's. I think I've had three in the last three months, and I can't remember when the last one was before that. And I used to never feel lows. I'd occasionally have a headache, I had the rare episode of being unusually hungry or cranky or tired, but I almost never had that shaking, lost, I-can't-control-my-body kind of low that I've always heard about.

I treated with a quarter cup of orange juice, followed by four cookies (completely unable to control myself--I should've stopped with the orange juice).

The last two lows I've had have been like this, too--not as bad, but they were similar. Those three lows are all the lows I've had since I started Cycloset, and I wonder if that could be the reason for the increased low awareness.

Has anyone heard of increased low awareness rather than decreased low awareness with meds? I know that pretty much no one here takes Cycloset, but the insert I got with the drug doesn't say anything about this. I know there's a good chance this is just because I'm almost never low anymore, but I just want to check before I make a fool of myself to my endocrinologist.

Also? Is it weird that it completely freaked me out that a borderline low made me feel that low? I mean, with the symptoms I should've been in the 30's or 40's, not the mid-60's.

Good to see you, guitarnut! I don't have any idea what Cycloset is, so can't respond to that part of the question, but I would assume your returned low awareness is due to having less lows? As for why that borderline felt so bad, perhaps you were high and came down quickly? Sometimes the rate of drop affects the severity of the symptoms. But, in general,for whatever reason I find a real range of subjective experience that doesn't always fit the numbers.

I’m quite hypo unaware now until I hit 50 unless I can avoid lows for a month or so, then the typical hunger/shakes awareness returns in the low 70s and 60s. Could be your awareness is better after avoiding lows, but it could be the cycloset, don’t be afraid to mention it to your endo particularly since it is not a common med. I once had an unusual reaction to a med and my doc called the drug company to report it, it was added to the side effect list and others have reported it now too.

I occasionally feel mild lows as if they are much more intense than they should feel. Usually it means I've had a pretty fast drop from high to low.

Yeah, forgot to mention that I don't think I'd been high before. I had eaten lunch several hours before and I hadn't been high then. My BG doesn't rise significantly without eating, so there's an excellent chance I wasn't high to begin with.

Welcome back Guitarnut!

I don't know anything about the oral meds or cycloset, except my one pill of metformin, so I can't offer advise either.

I find all my lows are different, sometimes I feel nothing at 30's, sometimes I feel I will pass out and although I don't usually feel bad in the 60's-70's sometimes I do. Usually when I hit the 50's is when I start to feel bad. For me it seems to be how rapidly I'm dropping, the faster, the worse I feel usually.

I would not be worried to discuss all of this with your endo, that is what they're for. I hope you get this figured out soon.

I'm sure you've prolly read all the info on cycloset but here is some info anyway.. no mention of hypo awareness. But maybe it is because you have had less lows... I think people say that makes them more aware. It can cause low blood pressure, have you tried checking your blood pressure when you're low? I have done that when I spike or go low to see if bp had any possible correlation with my bg swings.

http://www.rxlist.com/cycloset-side-effects-drug-center.htm

http://ir.santarus.com/common/mobile/iphone/releasedetail.cfm?Relea...

Guitarnut, keep in mind that BG meters are not perfect. Even if yours meets the FDA guidelines and is +/- 20%, your actual BG could have been somewhere around 50 (53=20%)on the low end of the guide. Most of the time my few years old One Touch ultra is within a couple of points on repeat measures but sometimes it is 30+ mg difference.
And, it probably continued dropping until the OJ got into your system. And OJ is not TV instant (how things happen on TV).
Just a thought.

66 is a perfectly normal bg reading for a non diabetic if they are hungry or hadnt eaten in a while. Sometimes we attribute everything we feel too readily to blood glucose… IMHO. The tricky part for diabetics is that the way they feel might not just be nerves, coffee jitters, hunger, anxiety, whatever… But it still can be just as much as anyone else

I have the Accu-chek Nano, so it's +/- 15%. Also, I tend to re-check odd readings (force of habit from my years with OneTouch). The other two readings were in the low 70's.

Yes, 66 is a perfectly normal reading for a non-diabetic. Except I am a diabetic, so my BG regulation isn't great, regardless of whether or not I'm on insulin. Nerves, caffeine jitters, hunger, anxiety, and everything else cause shakiness but don't cause confusion, dizziness, and an inability to walk straight. I know what lows feel like--I had hypoglycemia for years before diabetes.