Infusion sites infected?

My daughter is a pumper and it seems like every time we change her site it is oozing puss (sorry for the gross imagery) I asked her Dr. if she could be forming allergies to the infusion cannula but she said that there would be itching. If it is infection how could she be getting it at every site, every time?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You might need to use a better disinfectant… some people are just prone to skin infections (and alcohol isnt a great disinfectant, its more of a bactreostatic substance)… ever try washing the site ((as long as its above the waist and below the neck with Hibiclens or use a CHG prep like Hibistat (alcohol + CHG wipes)… Some people use Povidone Iodine but its 1. Messy and leaves a residue which you shouldnt clean up with alcohol… 2. People are allergic to it… Also its a good idea to use something like neosporin on pump (holes) as i call them after you pull the set and clean it up…

If that doesnt help talk to the CDE or NP, sometimes they have hints the Dr’s dont… Most times after i pull an infusion set i get a little clear fluid or a drop of blood but not usually pus…

Thanks for the advice! I use the IV prep pads in stead of Alcohol. Unfortunately she doesn’t use her tummy or sides. She doesn’t have a lot of fat in those areas. Is it safe to use the Providone below the waist as long as I do an allergy test. Also, I was wondering if you scar, my daughter has little white scars all over her from all the infusion sites.

Thanks again,
Kimberlee

My sister and I are both pumpers and we have scares from yrs of pumping. it just comes with the territory

Wow Emmy, Sorry you have had to deal with all of that. She doesn’t do much of the changing, I do. I worry about MRSA and Sepsis so I will try your tips. Thanks for the info!!

Alcohol is not bacteriostatic, it is abosolutely bactericidal at the concentration in wipes. However, it evaporates quickly (often before the set is put in) so its effects immediate rather than long lasting. Iodine is better in that respect because it hangs out a lot longer.

Alcohol oxidizes on contact, provided that some water is present to complete the oxidation, so it does not need to dry before it kills bacteria or anything else. You will, however, usually need to allow the site to dry so that the adhesive sets properly.

I agree with John as well, it could be a response to the set itself if it happens every time and she is properly disinfecting.

Thanks so much everyone for your tips, I will try them out. Hope something works!

I ment the reverse, though my advice is the same… Think Alcohol=Short Acting insulin and CHG/Iodine as long acting… if your getting reoccuring infections (if that what it is…) Your not killing enough bacteria/germs/etc and not killing it.

Still alcohol is a topic for debate

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0042…

http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/iv-site-prep-87803-…

http://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/alcohol-use-insulin…

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5110a1.htm

I never said that it was perfect, just that it does actually kill bacteria. The issue with skin is that there are barriers between it and the alcohol – architecture (pores, follicles), oil, dirt, etc. In this instance, contact time is more of a function of access to the bacteria than exposure time. But most people won’t take the time to scrub for 30 seconds or a minute to kill ‘everything’ (same goes for hand sanitizers).

Use whatever antiseptic (or no antiseptic) you choose, it’s not a debate that I have enough interest in to read all of those links.

iV prep pads use alcohol as their main ingredient.

Agree with trying the Sure T sets. Alos a great idea to try chlorhexidine press instead of alcohol. It is pretty standard now for IV s now to be inserted (in the hospital) using it based on evidence and studies that it is superior to alcohol wipes.