Inherited Type 1

My first grandchild was born yesterday. His name is Nicholas. My daughter just told me that because Nicholas weighed 7.0 lbs after 41 weeks gestation, he was considered under weight and he is being evaluated for Type 1. Has anyone else been through this with a grandchild? I was diagnosed with Tye 1 when I was 53 years old.

I don’t know about the weight. But type 1 is inherited by a gene or genes that make you susceptible to getting it. The gene(s) is prevalent in Northern European ancestry. They think a virus sets it off.

But yes, if someone in your family has type 1, you are more likely to end up getting it just because they can inherit the same gene that causes it.

1 Like

I think it’s just a precaution, and wouldn’t be too concerned. They have 'rules" to follow, which is good, but likely low chance of type 1, especially if that is the only a sign. They routinely will check bg and other signs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of grandparenting, where you can spoil them rotten then send them home to their parents.

Congratulations

Re heritability: there does seem to be a genetic component that makes you susceptible under the right stimulus, often thought to be viral. And there do seem to be families where parents and children both have it. But on the whole it seems to track in families far less reliably than T2. In my own case I have in the area of 100 people in my extended family three generations deep that I’m in some sort of contact with, and there’s only one other case, my 1st cousin’s daughter (my second cousin).

I was exactly 7 lbs at birth. I always thought that was normal weight. However my daughter was 8 lbs. and no sign of diabetes yet, but I didn’t develop it till I was 21.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a grandparent. Being a parent was great, but being a grandparent is twice the fun. You will love it!

The tendency to develop diabetes has a genetic component, but I would not worry about your grandson just yet. Many years ago, because I had been diabetic for 12 years at the time, my husband and I consulted a genetic counselor about having children. My husband’s grandfather and I both were diabetics, yet the counselor said that those components only raised my children’s risk of diabetes by 12 percent. We were willing to take that risk, and neither of our children is diabetic. So if your daughter and her husband are healthy, active adults, your grandson’s risk of being diabetic is small.

Also, sometimes diabetes runs in families were sedentery lifestyles and poor diet choices also lead to a greater chance of developing all kinds of health issues. Genetic predisposition is only one area of concern.

Wait and see. The doctors are just being overly cautious because of his higher weight gain at 41 weeks. Chances are, all will be well. And even if the worst happens and he IS found to be diabetic, would you love him any less? Of course not! So enjoy the grandparent ride. It is a hoot!

1 Like

Yes I do hope it is just a precaution. I thought 7 lbs was a good weight so this took me by surprise. Thanks for your thoughtful response

Thanks everyone. I am thrilled to be a grandparent. Nicholas came home from the hospital today and is doing fine so far. I love him to pieces already. A bit of a weight gain for him would be nice too.

1 Like

"@SherryAnn Said

So if your daughter and her husband are healthy, active adults, your grandson’s risk of being diabetic is small.

Also, sometimes diabetes runs in families were sedentery lifestyles and poor diet choices also lead to a greater chance of developing all kinds of health issues. Genetic predisposition is only one area of concern."

She is concerned about Type 1 and getting Type 1 has nothing to do with sedentary lifestyle or poor diet. Or the parents health. You inherit a gene or genes that makes you susceptible to type 1. There seems to be a consensus that a virus sets it off.

I think the concern is not that 7 lbs is not okay, but that 41 weeks and being only 7 lbs is what raised an evaluation. Type 1’s can’t utilize fuel properly because of a lack of insulin. I think it’s great they ran more tests.

1 Like

Yes that was exactly my concern. The good news is that the glucose tests are ok and he is feeding well and gaining weight. What a relief!

4 Likes

Interesting, and similar experience: I’m the only one in three generations. If I go back one more generation (mostly N’ern Europe), there’s one possible T1. I developed T1 as an adult, LADA, no other contributing/co- conditions that my endo or internist could figure out.