Injecting through clothing?

LOL. I second that emotion!
I have always injected through clothing when necessary (when not on the pump). Never had any problems! I think I’ll try the buttless chaps just for kicks.
Pun not intended, but darn funny in the end. :wink:

Have done it forever and still do…never a problem. Just really never think about it, if I have to do it I just inject anywhere and anyway I need to…no biggie. :slight_smile:

T1 since 84. Probably been doing that since 85 or 86.

With the 28 (and probably 29) guage needles you could inject through jeans fine. I did, though, have a few “gushers” which would leave a little blood stain. The thin needles bend more easily, so they are more difficult to get through. I’ve ben’t more than one trying to go through jeans. I try to only inject through light clothes now, like the thickness of tshirt, b/c I am paranoid it will break off. Never an infection from going though my nasty clothes. Go figure. We’re all so different.

too funny!

Forget about jeans. What works best are fishnets – except probably better not to inject the thigh in public. :wink:

LOL…I inject in the thigh in public…with my fishnets on!

I’m WAYYYYY to needlephobic to inject through clothing! Shoot, I am terrified that at some point I won’t be able to afford my pump and I’ll need to go back on shots, crap what will I do then, I HATE injections!

Now, my kids have no issue with it except that they don’t like the way it dulls the needle. I remember those creepy BD advertisements about not reusing needles, Way to much of a chicken to risk making a hook on the tip of my needle because I injected through clothing before it even hit my skin, ugh! ; )

Alright! Diabetes gives us boldness! Love it!

I was just going to go look for this study to link to it. I inject through clothing all the time. In fact, I just did so this morning as my pump is on the fritz and the new one is taking a few days to get to me.

What do you do in public places?

I’m on a pump but doing a little “vacation” at the moment because my pump broke (smashed on the floor when the clip fell off my pocket) and there’s shipping issues with a replacement pump. Yesterday I found myself needing to do a shot in a public area and I went to the washroom to do it. It was just nasty. I was grossed out touching things like the door and then having to touch my insulin pen. Today I just did it through clothing and it seemed so much more sanitary!

Worse case you hit a capillary, and you get a little blood. Dark clothes, never a problem. WHite clothes, my wife gets a little irritated (ok a lot) if I get droplets, or blood stains on them…

Nothing un sanitary about going through the clothing (ie from the cleaning the skin aspect). Messy on occasion, but un clean not at all.

Just bring a little bottle of hydrogen peroxide for the blood stains, it fizzes up and poof, you’ll be good to go!

Pre-pump I always injected through clothing. When questioned by those who cared about such things (CDEs, endo), yes I always rotated sites (well, not in an organized fashion), I always changed needles (whenever they got dull), I never reused lancets (okay, that was a stretch - once every year or so when it bent), and they never did ask whether I shot through clothes. I think they just assumed that I wouldn’t. haha

I pump now, but on the rare occasions I have to inject, I shoot right through the clothing. Even pre-pump I did this and never had a problem. It dulls the needle if you try and go through jeans, but then we’re only supposed to use needle once. Right! I do have a few shirts that have blood spots on them. No big deal. Better than baring my belly and possibly ruining someones meal.

A link to various reasons why it is necessary to test and manage your diabetes in public (USA)

http://www.isletsofhope.com/pdf http://www.isletsofhope.com/pdf/faq-public-testing.pdf

I was in shock when I read I its safe and effective to inject through clothes. I Always use my alcohol swab and inject into my flesh. To me it just seems more clean. I Read the study I know its supposed to be ok, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

I used to get disgusted when I was on other DOC before and hear of People promoting shots through pants particularly. But as they said, your skin is clean from showers/baths, your clothes are laundered where’s the uncleanliness? So as of about 2006, I’ve been giving shots through my slacks, finer jeans. No bent needles or infections or bleeding usually. I did get a dime size spot on my pink capris this summer though. What a pain. But when I’m a passenger in a moving vehicle with a seat belt on and need a shot or in a restaurant, then it’s easiest through the clothing.

Have you considered getting a Spibelt (Spibelt.com)? They are really discreet and can’t just fall off. There is a pump size that fits all sized pumps, although my MM522 fits the regular, original sizes as well. The advantage of the pump size for me is that I can add a few glucose tabs as well.