Inpatient pump start

Is there the possibilities that your doctor is putting you on a pump an keeps you in the hospital for the first night?
Did anyone of you was put on a pump and kept in the hospital?

I didn’t. My doctor did a saline trial with us for the first three days but then insulin in the pump and off we went.

the first (and second) night was really low…but i didn’t take any long acting that morning, and dialed down the basal for a day…and tested every hour or more for a few days.

its not a seamless transition, but i don’t see why you would need to be inpatient…just vigilant (which we are anyway)

No - in fact my pump trainer and endo were confident with my abilities on the workings of the pump and started me right waway on insulin - freaked me out a bit. I didn’t sleep well that night, constantly checking my BG, but survived! Hahah. When pumps first came out, I think it was routine practice to do an inpatient pump start, and I do not believe it is the norm now.

I have never heard of anyone being put in the hospital for a pump start. To me, that just sounds like a way to bill your insurance company more! Most of the time, they adjust your rates to be a little lower than what they are on MDI, but that doesn’t always happen either. I did not start out with saline. They had my rates set too high and I was running low the first day but quickly adjusted those. I don’t see why anyone would have to go in the hospital to start a pump.

I haven’t heard of that. If you’re worried about going high/low overnight, then wake up every hour or to to test to see if your basal rate is working. You might find some difficulty in getting insurance to pay for it, so if you do go that route then make sure that they’ll cover it.

Yes, my endo always hospitalizes anyone starting on a pump. I had to spend 1 night getting used to my pump when I first got it. I guess it’s odd but I thought it was the normal thing to do. I’m glad I was hospitalized. I learned a lot and have no regrets over 1 single night in a hospital. It was extremely helpful. Good luck to you!

Nope… I was not kept in the hospital…

I did the pump training at the endocronologist’s office with the Medtronic trainer…

I adjusted my Lantus insulin that night and the next day started on the pump… My blood sugars really were crazy for about a week then leveled off. They would be 350 and then 50 and then 350 and then 50. It was crazy!

Rebecca

No, I wasn’t hospitalized. I had training by my CDE nurse (who is also Type I and on an Insulin Pump). She was great!

Just a note, not all hospitals understand how to use the insulin pump. When I was a patient there they made me take off the pump.

Nope no hospital stay. They did adjust my basal lower to make sure I didn’t go low. I had read my manual and it was a quick appointment I was adjusting my own settings two days later. After 15 years of figuring out shots the pump is a breeze.

Honestly I could have done the math myself and started the Pod on my own. Reading and the internet are very helpful.

Nope. I had a nurse who worked for Omnipod come to my house and set me up with the saline pump and help me input my settings to my pdm, and 3 days later I went to a nurse at the hospital to put on the first “real” pump with insulin. Didn’t stay though, just made sure everything seemed alright and they told me to be watchful and call if I had any issues.

We just started the Omnipod and LOVE IT! Did it all at home with a nurse and trainer. Is it possible there is no one in your area that can help you with the pump start?

My doctor puts everyone in the hospital overnight when they start their first pump. I was put in the hospital for 23 hours. I was upset at her at the time because I hate hospitals with a passion. I ended up going dangerously low. When you start the pump it is not uncommon for your need of insulin to change drastically.

The other patient that my doctor had admitted the same day went dangerously high. That person ended up having to stay longer than I did.

I would say that I am glad that my doctor is very cautious. I learned a lot that night that I stayed in the hospital.

My son’s endocrinologist is recommending we have at least 2 nights at the hospital before they send us on our way. I am looking forward to Brendan getting a pump but he is really resisting it and I have had to drop the idea at least for a little while. He is terrified (to the point of nightmares) of the infusion set. He is convinced it’s going to hurt and nothing we say or do will convince him otherwise.

Nope they set me up and off I went…checked in for a couple of days with my educator.

Thanks for the replies guys :). I am just really worried to get too low or something else might happen… and since I live alone it just makes it even scarier. Do you guys think insurance would cover an inpatient pump start?

Mine did for me. Just call to see if it gets preapproved. My pump company told me that they would pick up the tab if the insurance was not willing to. Check with them.

Mine covered it no questions asked. As long as your doc recommends it it should not be a problem. It should be considered ‘medically necessary’.

This is standard practice in Hungary (2 nights in the hospital). I started on the pump in the USA without any hospitalization, but started on saline for 2 days. If your insurance won’t cover it, you can ask your doctor to set lower night time basals and to only increase them in you go high.

Good luck!

My Endo didn’t put me on a pump it was my CDE and I was at home. First time I’ve heard of that happening.