When you want something sweet...
Instead of cake, cookies, or ice cream, try:
- Sugar-free jello or hard candies (but always read the Nutrition Label on every food for serving size information)
- Sugar-free hot cocoa
- Fruit with cool whip
- Lower fat cookies like ginger snaps, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, animal crackers (again, observe serving size)
- No sugar added pudding or fudgsicles
- Eating very small portions of your favorite treat
When you want something salty and crunchy...
Instead of potato chips or tortilla chips, try:
- Low-sodium pretzels
- Air-popped popcorn
- Baked chips or baked tortilla chips
- Cut raw veggies with low fat dip, salsa, or low fat cream cheese
When you want something to drink...
Instead of soda or fruit punch, try:
- Diet soda
- Crystal light or other sugar-free beverages
- Seltzer with just an ounce or two of fruit juice
- Water with lemon juice
When you want fast food...
Instead of hamburgers or hotdogs, try:
- Grilled or broiled chicken sandwiches
- 1 slice of thin crust veggie pizza
- Low fat sub sandwiches
When you want "comfort food"...
Instead of high-fat, high-carb choices, try:
- Macaroni and cheese cooked with fat-free evaporated milk, low fat cheese, and egg substitute
- Mashed potatoes made with trans-fat free margarine and fat-free milk, or replace part of the potato with pureed cauliflower
- Meatloaf made with ground turkey and egg substitute
- Beef stew made with round cut beef, fewer potatoes, and more non-starchy vegetables like carrots, onions, green beans, and spinach