Insulin Allergy?

For the past 6 months, I've been having some terrible issues with my insulin. My sites have been getting red, swollen, hot to the touch and infected. They stay red even after I remove the site from under my skin. Initially, I thought that it might be the adhesive, so I used several different types of tapes and coverings, but no luck. Then I thought that I might be reacting to the teflon in the canulla, but that didn't turn out to be it either. Eventually, I noticed that when I gave an injection through a syringe or pen, I would get the same reaction.

Thus, I narrowed it down to my insulin.

I switched from Novolog to Apidra and then to Humalog, but I always get the same reaction no matter what I do.

I don't know what to do anymore! Taking Benedryl and Zyrtec doesn't help. It is the deeper layers of skin that are inflamed moreso than the outer ones.

Anybody have any experience with this?

please join this group
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/allergictoinsulin

maybe they can help you

Thank you. I joined that page, but it doesn't appear to be particularly active :(

I am having the same exact problem. Have also been looking for answers. Endo referred me to allergist. Allergist says he isn’t set up to do insulin allergy testing. Going round in circles

All I can suggest is that you try other insulins.
Maybe R regular won’t be reactive.

I really don’t know what else you can do since you absolutely need to take it

There are preservatives in insulin and maybe it’s the preservative you are allergic.

Your endo must know how to get you tested to find out exactly what you are allergic to.

Try calling local ADA to check if they have list of allergists that are familiar with treating insulin allergy.

This article may be helpful.

1 Like