Insulin and Type 2: How Do They Go Together?

I would like to know what you guys think about this doctor’s commentary. He’s basically saying it’s bad for doctor’s to prescribe insulin to people with type 2 diabetes.

What are your thoughts?

I wrote up my thoughts on this in a recent blog post:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/should-you-avoid-injected-insulin-when.html

It’s a common attitude among physicians, and one reason why so many people with Type 2 are allowed to wander around with extremely high blood sugars for long enough to cause blindness, amputation, and put them on dialysis.

The doses type 2s can need at outset are pretty eye-popping. I just saw one guy posting elsewhere about how he uses 70 units of Novolog per meal.

But if Type 2s don’t use what it takes to get below that level that causes even more severe insulin resistance AND glucose toxicity to the beta cells, they end up with no insulin production at all AND all that IR, which is even harder to manage.

When someone with your A1C posts about this topic, I listen. Thanks for sharing this!!

BTW, I had to look up “lackadaisical” in the dictionary: “Lacking spirit or liveliness; showing lack of interest; languid; listless.” :slight_smile:

My thoughts … This dude is a QUACK!

I WAS limiting my intake of carbs (about 120g per day, IF that much), as well as taking oral meds. Didn’t work. My numbers all of a sudden went on a gradual rise, with an A1c of 6.9, which averages out to a BG Average of like 147 or so! Not THAT bad, but yet not good either!!! Had I waited, it would have just went up and up and up. Go to the Endo, he puts me on insulin and BAM I am in good control! My last A1c taken May 31, 2007 was 6.0 (BG Average 120) Much better! After only 3-1/2 months on insulin. And hopefully I’ll keep improving that. If not, I’m satisfied with a 6.0! ;0)

The only thing I agree with him on, is the fact that the ADA pushes a diet that is TOO high in carbs! Their “exchange” diet is worthless to anyone with Diabetes, in my opinion!

Otherwise, I completely disagree with him!

Though, I’m not sure I AM insulin resistant! I don’t feel that I take much insulin at all. I take 15u NPH AM & PM, and a 1:10 ratio for R with meals, WHEN I need it. I don’t always need the R if my number is like 90 before my meal, unless of course, I plan on eating a carb laden meal! LOL I think I average about 8u to 10u of R a day.

I do want to have the C-Peptide test done to determine just how much my body is actually making on it’s own though (as well as the GAD test, to check for those anti-bodies) . Just have to save up for that, it’s not a cheap test I hear, so it won’t be any time soon, unless hub’s employer comes thru with that insurance soon!! And … my Endo is on thier “list”. prays

If you do get the antibody test, make sure you ask for tests on all the possible antibodies. GAD is most common, but there are at least 3 others. I am positive for islet cell antibodies, not GAD, so that confirmed the diagnosis of Type 1.

Thank You Libby! I’ll remember that! The GAD is the only one I’ve seen mentioned before.

my doctor explained to me that insulin for ppl with d2 is not the first option. other things should be considered before that since ppl with d2 do produce insulin. she did explain that the pump is certainly not meant to be for ppl with d2. i currently use lantus and humalog.

I do not agree with this guy. Neither does Joslin or the ADA for that matter from their treatment guidelines. Insulin is not a failure in my opinion, just a treatment tool in order to prevent lifelong complications. Do I think it is a first option, definitely not - but it shouldn’t be the last option when someone has been walking around with sugars of 200-300 and even higher for months and years - life long damage is being done to the nerves, kidneys, eyes, blood vessels, etc.

As stated I other post, there is much more to treating diabetes than just food. The lable, “DR”, does not make an expert. In this case the motivation is to “get D’s to buy my way” and don’t treat the whole condition. Blanket statements about othe experts demonstrates the narrow vision by the snake oil salesman.

I will say that I do agree that the ignorance in the medical profession is appalling, and they generally follow the ADA misinformation, I personally don’t want to have to be dependent on externally supplied insulin, I am aware that someday it may be the best option for me and I will then need to change my thoughts. This is, in my opinion the biggest problem out there, it seems most, other that we that take a personal interest in our own health, don’t understand that each of us is different and there is no 1 protocol that will work for everyone, it needs to be very individualized.

Its seems when discussing treatment for T2’s, the arguments all center around one treatment or the other. On the right you have the folks saying that T2 is a lifestyle disease and you are cured with diet and exercise and on the left, take meds and just eat sensibly (even sensible means higher carb intake and insulin to counter).

Personally my goal is to keep as close to normal, non-diabetic blood sugar. I do that with plenty of exercise, low carb healthy eating and meds. If my D progresses and I cant control BS using those methods, I will not hesitate to add insulin therapy to my regimen to maintain my BS goals.

Thoughts?.? Anyone who simply lays out a blanket statement on one side or the other doesn’t understand the complexity of this disease or the treatments that each patient requires.

I think he is full of s… I have been on insulin for 4 years, have A1c 6.0 and below. The dose of insulin has changed very little over the years. My late wife was a T2 on insulin for almost 40 years. The side effects of insulin, aside from hypos, is zero compared to meds. Exercise is out for me because of sever back problems. Insulin is my only choice.

I am on Lantus and met. I was put on it immediately. My need for insulin keeps increasing and even though I am low carbing (<50 carbs a day) and exercising, I still need the insulin. I agree, the side effects of insulin are nothing campared to my husband who takes several diabetes oral meds and byetta and is continually experiencing nausea. No thanks, I will keep my insulin; however, I keep trying with the diet and exercise.

I was watching The Doctors on TV last week and for the first time I found out the difference between type I and II… Type I you pancreas does NOT produce enough insulin and type II it produces too much! So it seems to me, if you’re type II taking insulin would not be very good at all!!!

I was diagnosed type 2 in March of 2007 by my family physician. He put me on glipizide. I started searching on the web and found a lot of blogs and realized in needed education so I had my family physician refer me to an education course. After that course I had him refer me to and ENDO(the best thing I ever did). Endo put me on Byetta and I lost weight and had good control until my ability to exercise was reduced by knee problems. About three months before I had my partial replacement on my right knee he put me on MDI Lantus and Novolog. At one point I was 85 units Lantus and about 75 units of Novolog a day. I decided to go back to No Carb/Low carb and my weight started going back down and so did my insulin requirements. I now use 38 units Lantus and less than 10 units of Novolog a day.
I am glad to be on MDI. If I wanted to eat carbs I could but I choose not to.