Insulin at the hospital

@IgotT1
That one sentence really didn’t have much to do with what you went through. I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. You need to help yourself and not be self destructive.

Today Gym membership renewal and food shopping.

Your comment also tells me its possible to refuse to take it seriously for 20 years and still be alive.

You did but I can tell I can’t.

A year of gym gains gone in weeks. Muscle memory is true but this is going to take work.

Pushing weights is easy compared to the get food and actually eat it part.

I don’t have unlimited resources and 10s of thousands of armed men to do my bidding like the system does.

I could never play the game they do.

Don’t kid yourself I was very lucky. I understand how lucky I am to even be alive. Is it possible? Yes. What are the outcome odds however. Very slim.

I took my insulin every time, did not drink and had a supportive spouse. Yeah I made it but most people don’t my advice be healthy take care your self. Put the vodka away, and never blame others for for bad choices you make.

You do not have to be a gym rat to live, but you must care about yourself.

Be happy, feel better, live long and enjoy life.

1 Like

You are playing it now whether you like it or not, the problem is that you are playing the game poorly.

The rules of this game were not created to tick you off personally, they are the same for the majority of us. It is a one size fit all approach that does not perfectly fit anyone. This is why we must strive to play the system instead of fighting it. No one wins unless they play by the rules.

2 Likes

I’m not on Medicare, but I don’t mind going to the endocrinologists office every 3 months at all. What I hate is also having to sit in an hour long educational session every 3 months with a nurse employed by my husband’s company in order to keep in the chronic condition program which gives better coverage for basic care requirements. That’s every 90 days too. It’s completely overkill (for me) and designed for newly diagnosed T2s, not 29 year veterans. :flushed:

Those vile things posing as humans don’t follow the rules.

“No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.”

Read more:

Hey, @IgotT1. Its good to hear from you again. I was wondering where you went. I was a little worried. Your a cool guy, so I’m gonna cut the bull ■■■■, and ask you straight - what is all this about?

I call situations involving hospitalization “critical failures.” Critical failures occur for a wide variety of reasons. I could be wrong, but this doesn’t feel like the cause was drinking. No matter how much you drink, you still wake up in the morning pretty sober and can take an injection of long acting insulin to keep you alive.

What was this all about? Did you get manic for a couple weeks, or what? This is an honest question and I hope you don’t take it the wrong way.

The critical failure with me and drinking is my appetite shuts down and food becomes gag reflex revolting.

Pre diabetes I could just walk it off, literally just walk for miles, walk through the anxiety attacks of withdrawal and get back on track. When I felt like eating again I did.

Now blood sugar insulin management in the mix. Can’t do it.

Broke my own rule and paid the price. Big one this time.

My rule is drink for fun only. Drinking for stress relief or depression and its a bad gamble of getting into that no way out spiral.

They don’t teach harm reduction in addiction treatment but that rule kept me out of trouble for years. Did not read it online I just learned.

Drinking for fun once in a wile and using it to feel from bad to good are two completely different activities with the latter usually having a bad outcome.

I still feel sick from it and been out of the cycle for 3 weeks now.

8-10 drinks a day I was up to, that’s breakfast for alot of people who drink. Took me down to critical failure. yep.

Never ever drink at stress, boredom or depression. I better remember that.

@IgotT1, That’s good practice.

What you are describing does not sound like ‘panic attacks.’ Panic attacks last ten minutes, not days.

I’m gonna throw this out there - 8 to 10 drinks over the course of a day is not nothing, but its also not a ton. Its hard for me to understand how this resulted in this level of critical failure unless there is a more serious, underlying issue.

Did you loose weight during this time period? When you say that you “walk a lot,” does that mean that you walked a couple hours or a couple miles or that you walked for eight hours, like all night long, day after day?

Who was around to check in on you during this period?

I just wonder if the underlying problem was the drinking (of course this plays some role) or if the fundamental problem is the stress and depression that perhaps helped trigger the drinking. If that’s it, then that has to be addressed.

Writing this from my hospital room right now. Was admitted yesterday when I was weak with a high pulse rate after a very vigorous HIIT workout. I was frankly amazed by how willing everyone I dealt with accepted letting me manage my diabetes - no questions asked by the paramedics, the ER doc and the admitting doc. Heck, they let me tell them what my BG was from my G6 for their charts instead of taking a finger stick. Didn’t lecture me for not ordering from the ‘diabetic’ menu. Even when my waking BG this AM was 90 - no one batted an eye. Needless to say I’m grateful they get it.

On the other hand, I had my wife bring my seizure med I get from Canada so I wouldn’t get stuck with an outrageous pharmacy bill. It’s $35K/year in the US so I can only imagine how they would stick me for just a few pills. The pharmacy has to approve any meds a patient brings in for self treatment and they refused to approve it because they weren’t sourced from the US. In fact they confiscated it! I explained my situation and told them to return it to me or I’d be out the door. Thankfully they agreed.

Hope to be out of here this evening or I’ll have to change my infusion site and pump cartridge. Can’t imagine the scrutiny I’d let for this. I simply won’t tell them I have it and make all the changes in the bathroom

2 Likes

@Paytone I’m sorry to hear you are in the hospital! No one wants to be there unless they have to be, so I hope you get the all clear go to home this evening! I’m really glad to hear it went so well with your diabetes treatment though! That’s great news to hear!

Be better soon!

@Marie20 - Thank You!

Wow, @Paytone is reporting live from the scene of the crime.
Does your Canada healthcare cover you in the U.S? Thats a odd circumstance.
I suppose that you can always flee the country if it doesn’t.

I’m glad that you got your meds and that you are being treated well.
That’s a relief. Is the food OK? I always kinda like hospital food.

@Paytone It sucks being admitted to hospital, especially when it’s upstairs and not just a gurney in ER.

Sending you thoughts, wishes and prayers. Don’t give up a thing - change your site in bathroom and take your meds when you need them’

Hope to hear you’re out tonite or tomorrow :pray:

@Payton I’m sending good thoughts and prayers your way! I sure hope the stay isn’t long and you’re on the mend real soon!

@Jim_in_Calgary, @mohe0001, @Tapestry.

Thanks for your well wishes. I was discharged last night. No ‘covert’ site and cartridge change was required!

4 Likes

Actually, I’m a US citizen and the meds are from Canada. Should have made that clear in my post. But, I may still flee the country for better healthcare!

1 Like

I’m glad to hear you are safely home!

1 Like

I had outpatient knee surgery last week. I was prepared for a fight to wear my CGM and pump during the anticipated 1.5 hour long surgery. My PCP wrote in the pre-clearance orders that I should be allowed to wear both during surgery. The anesthesiologist was super interested in the CGM and how it displayed on the pump. Gave him the two minute overview of how it worked he said let’s clip it to the gown so I can keep an eye on it. We decided to keep the basal at it’s normal rate and it worked fantastically well. The nurses liked it as well.

Went home a couple hours after surgery and on the mend.

5 Likes