Insulin Carb Ratio's And Correction factor

Hi trying to get things figuered out. Been type 1 for 8 years. 2 years ago was overweight by 20 lbs and used up as much as 60 of basal (lantus) and 45 of novorapid (bolus + correction) so i started a low carb diete and within a years when from 230 lbs to 190 lbs (i am 6.2 feet). I now use 20 lantus + about 18 to 24 of novorapid. What suprise me is that my i:c did not neally change 1:8 breakfest 1:10 lunch 1:13 supper. What really changed is mu isf. One unit use to drop me by 1.5 mmol ( 27 mg/l) now it drops me by about 3 mmol (54 mg/l) wich is what i dislick the most. Because before if i mist calculated my carbs and gave 1 or 2 extra it did not impact that much but now it does. Did this ever happen to someone and is the only way to be less sensative to insulin to increase my body weight.

Thanks

That is really strange usually I/C ratio and the correction factors go hand in hand.

That kind of sounds familiar…

I had to reduce my basal but my I:C ratio didn’t really change. I sometimes think that I might need less insulin in the evening now, but for the rest of the day it didn’t change at a noticeable level.

What did change is my correction factor. I actually don’t know what it is now since I’m still trying to figure it out.

So what I’m doing at the moment is that I go with my old one but then take less insulin than I would according to my old calculation…

e.g.: A few days ago, my bg was at 180. For me, that would mean 2 units correction. I took 1.5 because I knew it would drop me more than it used to. Turned out t be true, I ended up at 90.

I seems that it makes a difference if I eat or not. With food, I need more insulin while insulin alone drops me much more. I’m not as sensitive to corrections if they are included in the insulin I take for eating as I am if I don’t eat.

I don’t have an explanation either. It’s weird. But it is what it is, I guess.

In my experience, when I’ve lost weight or gained muscle, I become more sensitive to insulin, thus changing ISF (my ISF is now 40). Have you been working out more? Muscle is far more sensitive to insulin than fat, so if you’ve gained muscle, you’re going to be more sensitive. And from what I have always understood, insulin sensitivity is a good thing! It’s when you become insulin resistant that problems develop.

For me too my I:C ratios did not necessarily change when my ISF changed.

What are your I:C ratios Now.

what are your I:C ratio now. I guess its a good thing but on MDI sometimes its trickier than on a pump. What ar u on. Does you I:C change it u eat a lot more in a week say then an other.

Congratulations on the weight loss!!! As we reduce weight a unit of insulin drops us more, and a gram of carb raises us more. It’s all a math proportionality thing. The lower the weight the closer the calculations. Being more sensitive to insulin means you don’t have to take so much of the preservative in the insulin vial either!!! Which, to my way of thinking, means less likelihood of cancer. Less insulin, CHEERS!
And now to deal with the numbers, it is the tail of the insulin you have to worry about, that last hour of activity, so test at 2 hours after a dose & see where it’s taken you.
And if you’re above your target zone, let it rest.
If you’re below, take enough glucose tablet to put you where you want to be.
At 190 lbs, 2.7 grams, roughly 3 grams) raises you 10 mg (.55 mmol/l). 8 gm raises you 30 mg/dl. It’s able to be figured out.
You don’t want to put back on your weight.