Insulin Contamination

I used very small BD needles but forget the exact size.

I understand my extensive syringe re-use with the ā€œbig needlesā€ would not be possible with the much skinnier needles. Because the skinnier needles wouldā€™ve plugged up long before then. Supposedly the issue with skinnier needles, isnā€™t so much blood, but congealed skin and fat cells jamming up the skinnier pipe. Kind of disgusting to think about it! But Iā€™ve never cut open a used needle to see what skin and fat cells are lodged in it after 1 or 10 uses.

I use the BD Ultra fine 31 gauge 5mm (3/16ā€) and use a new needle about every 150 shots or so. My digital pen tells me if the needle is plugged with a red warning light. I never had a problem plugging these fine needles with Humalog but frequently had plugging problems with Levemir/Lantus. The workaround I found was to flush the needle with 2 units of Humalog after using Levemir/Lantus and that way could still get my 150 shots or so out of a needle. That count dramatically decreases if I inject through clothing.

Thatā€™s interesting. Just thinking about the economics:

1000 units of Humalog is about $400 OTC price.

So 2 units of Humalog is about $0.80.

I donā€™t want to generate/carry around any more sharps waste than necessary. But I know for sure that economically I can buy a new syringe or pen needle for less than $0.80.

I donā€™t think I ever actually counted how many shots I was getting out of a syringe in the 90ā€™s. I was probably averaging 5 syringes a month, doing 120-150 shots a month, so that would be an average of 30 shots per syringe. BUT I never actually counted how many I got out of each.

Back then I was almost always mixing Regular and NPH and canā€™t say I ever noticed one or the other resulting in more plug-ups because plug-ups were remarkably rare (only remember a few over the decades).

When using an Omnipod or a Tandem, you get a syringe with each pod/cartridge, so there is no need to reuse a syringe. That being said, my backup syringe I carry with me has been used a few more times than it should but I havenā€™t really used it often and am still working on the leftovers from when I started pumping. But sad to say, I only have 2 bags left. Might have to break down and get some more for those emergencies.

I pick up my insulin OTC in Canada and buy packs of 5 300ml cartridges for US $48 makes it just over 3 cents per unit of Humalog. I started using needles for multiple shots when going into countries and areas that restricted the number of needles allowed on board aircraft and just got used to multiple reuse. I think my medicare insurance covers needles anyways so not a cost issue. Just looked on my BD boxes and it says my last order for these was in 2009. A box of 100 lasts me several years and I still have several unopened boxes left over from last re-fill. Endo always asks me if I am sure that I donā€™t want a renewal for more needles and tell her no.

If they are covered, why not get the rx filled?

Iā€™m not the guy you were asking but for me:

Back in the 90ā€™s I figured out I could re-use syringes without any negative effects and save money. At the time everything I bought, was OTC.

In the past 20 years Iā€™ve got insurance but Iā€™ve had a hard time justifying to myself changing habits I picked up in the 90ā€™s. If I fill all my syringe prescriptions then in a couple years I end up with an entire wall of stockpiled syringes.

My endo converted me to pens a half year ago (she couldnā€™t believe that I was still using vials) but I still have vials stockpiled that I am working through, and more than enough syringes for them.

The last needle refill I got in 2009 will last me another 35+ year and hopefully by then there will be a cure for diabetes or other way besides insulin to better control diabetes. Think stem cell, DNA modification etc.

OK, whatever you say!

Yes, they are available in the US. I get a box of Fiasp pens every year to use in case of a pump failure (likewise Lantus).

1 Like

I use needles over and over again and I always shoot through clothes. The needle will bend once in awhile and I change needles then. I am just lazy.

1 Like

Iā€™m kinda lazy too, Marilyn, but DANG!!

I was exactly the same when I was doing MDI. Iā€™d keep an extra BD needle in my BG meter kit, and swap it in when the current one bent.

2 Likes

I donā€™t reuse the syringe that I use to fill the pod. I use the pod for basal only. I bolus and correct with syringe and vial; that is the syringe I reuse.

The needles are so tiny now. I should probably change the needle I use on my fingertips more often, but I donā€™t. Of course those needles never bend.

I have never had an infection and my skin isnā€™t marked at all from shots. I just get a bruise every once in awhile. My fingers have a few little black marks.