Insulin exp date

I have saved up bottles of insulin during pandemic. They are Fiasp. The expiration is 9/22 and I won’t be using all of them by then. Can I use after the exp date? If not, what can I do with them.

2 Likes

Will you be able to use the 9/22 bottles, just a little after 9/22? If the insulin has been refrigerated it’s not like it turns into a pumpkin on midnight September 1.

I myself will be using some 4/22 Tresiba up in the coming month. I normally wouldn’t have had such a big stockpile but my insurance company changes brands of insulin every couple years and I had to have an extra big stockpile as a result (BTW they dropped Tresiba two years ago but now will pay for it again so my edge-of-the-calendar stockpiling just happened to work).

If say you’ve switched types or brands of insulin and there’s no possibility of using your Fiasp by 9/22, then there’s a variety of local organizations that may be able to pass them to someone in need. Here’s a link:

Insulin For Life: https://iflusa.org/

1 Like

You can absolutely use insulin after the expiration date. Insulin does not abruptly stop working from one day to the next. You will have to monitor your BGs more carefully and be aware that there may be a gradual reduction in efficacy. So you will have to gradually and slightly increase your dosage. But you will probably be able to use the rest of your stash without any problems. Just monitor your BGs more.

2 Likes

Thanks

I check out insulin for life site. Seems good.

Here is some information from Beyond Type 1.

1 Like

I am not recommending you do this, but I do. I have unopened Levemir and Novolog insulin pens in the refrigerator that expired in 2019. I have used them and have had no problems, BG levels good. I am a type 1 diabetic. Again, I am not recommending anyone do what I do.

2 Likes