Insulin Nation | The Cure is in Us

Read the full article here.
11-year-old Louis Cocco’s head was barely visible above the podium as he addressed an attentive group in a conference room at the Cannon House Office Building in Washington, D.C. this past April. Louis, who has Type 1 diabetes, rattled off the statistics about the health and financial impacts of the disease like a public-speaking veteran. Then, at the end of his talk, he turned towards Dr. Claresa Levetan, his endocrinologist and the organizer of the meeting, and said, “I know this group of doctors will get me off insulin before I am a grownup.”

If you are unfamiliar with Levetan’s track record, you might condemn her for offering Louis false hope, but she is not some quack selling diabetes snake oil. Levetan is a Fellow With Distinction of the American College of Endocrinology, whose pioneering work has received many accolades. She has received the prestigious Roche Diagnosed award for innovative diabetes research and has been an invited visiting scholar at Harvard University’s Joslin Diabetes Center. Dr. Irl Hirsch, editor-in-chief of the ADA journal Clinical Diabetes has called her “perhaps the most creative physician I have ever met.”

Her latest endeavor is a company called Perle Bioscience www.PerleBioscience.com, and her promise to Louis is founded on developments in its labs. Levetan hypothesizes that a cure for diabetes, Type 1 or Type 2, can be achieved by our ability to regenerate islets inside ourselves, using our own tissue, and combining regeneration with immune suppression. She sees diabetes remission as a 2-part, intertwined process wherein the body grows healthy new islets and also suppresses immune system attacks. A combination therapy like this has not been attempted in treating diabetes, but it will be soon. Human trials will begin in both the United States and Europe later this year.

I agree with the post "The Cure is Within Us".

My personal, non-medical professional opinion is this:

There are 3 Conditions required for T1D: Genetic pre-disposition, exposure to an enterovirus (such as coxsackie B), and sub-optimal gut bacteria

1. Optimum levels of good bacteria control common enteroviruses and disarm them, or at least contain them, in the gut. Also, viruses insert their DNA into bacteria, and I expect that there is a particular type of bacteria present in the gut that is particularly susceptible to coxsackie.

2. If good bacteria is not an optimal levels, common enteroviruses such as coxsackie (which should really pose no life-threatening issue) can grab hold

3. Coxsackie makes the gut leaky by modulating the barrier function of the tight junction of the gut

4. The coxsackie virus can easily travel to the nearby pancreas from the leaky gut

5. Particular genetic pre-disposition makes an individual more susceptible to enterovirus

Comments anyone?!

I would be delighted to discuss the above, I have lots of pubmed research I would like to share with interested parties :-)

Certainly a possibility in my case Diamom. I have Celiac, undisguised until I was in my 30s, history of high Epstein-Barr titers and illnesses (mono, CFS, shingles) and I have one of the genes that predisposes me to both Celiac and diabetes as well as the family history. I still have beta cell function and wonder sometimes if people like me shouldn’t be studied more as the process of developing the disease is in its early stages?

I don't have celiac, although I plan to be retested for that just in case I have some milder form of it because I'm sensitive to wheat and to other things and I recently found that I had a reactivation of EB virus. I'm not sure about being exposed to any virus, I wasn't tested for that.

Undiagnosed I meant, darn auto correct!

Hi Meee,

I wonder if you would consider researching or talking to your doctor about the laculose mannitol test? It is non-invasive and if you find out clinically that your gut is "too permeable", (making you sensitive to wheat)you can take steps to heal and seal your gut. Celiac is often not diagnosed until there is already damage done, so you are wise to listen to your body and take preventative steps.

The lactulose mannitol test is the most common form of testing for leaky gut.

The person is given a solution containing mannitol and lactulose and collects their urine for six hours to be tested. Lactulose (a disacharride) and Mannitol (a monosaccharide) are two water soluble, non- metabolised sugar molecules.

Mannitol is easily absorbed, penetrating cells, whilst Lactulose has larger molecules and is only partially absorbed. If the levels of mannitol and lactulose in the collected urine sample are high it is indicative of Leaky Gut Syndrome. Low levels of both molecules indicate malabsorption of nutrients. High levels of lactulose and low levels of Mannitol indicate that the person has healthy digestion.

Why you might need this information? (Sourced from: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/021313p38.shtml

"Inside the Gut

The intestines are the largest mucosal interface between the environment and us. A single layer of epithelial cells is all that separates the bloodstream and the contents of the intestines. The small intestine has the complex and crucial role of allowing nutrients inside the body while keeping bacteria, toxins, and wastes outside. The tight junctions separating the intestinal cells assume some of these functions.

The tight junctions aren’t cemented as previously thought but rather are dynamic structures. Incompetent tight junctions cause increased intestinal permeability, commonly referred to as leaky gut, and can result in the absorption of incompletely digested protein and antigens that overstimulate the immune system through the bloodstream.

Autoimmune Triad

Alessio Fasano, MD, a world-renowned pediatric gastroenterologist, research scientist, and founder of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research, believes all autoimmune conditions have three factors in common: a genetic susceptibility, antigen exposure, and increased intestinal permeability.

“Besides celiac disease, several other autoimmune diseases, including type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis, are characterized by increased intestinal permeability secondary to non-competent tight junctions that allow the passage of antigens from the intestinal flora, challenging the immune system to produce an immune response that can target any organ or tissue in genetically predisposed individuals,” Fasano wrote in the February 2012 issue of Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology."

I think this is worth looking into.

This is the study thats underway for a "cure for type 1 diabetes" as mentioned in the original article posted here-- the hypothesis is the autoimmune response needs to be suppressed while the insulin producing cells regenerated-- so a 2 step process.
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01762657?term=iit&rank=2

these are the two drugs proposed in the study:
Drug: Oral Cyclosporine and Oral Lansoprazole

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-5108-CYCLOSPORINE+SOLUTION+-+ORAL.a...

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-9143-LANSOPRAZOLE+DELAYED-RELEASE+-...