Insulin Pump Saves Life

An NBC story, copied from the Internet.

An Alabama nursing student who was kidnapped and locked in the trunk of her own car told the Today Show how she used the light on her insulin pump to find its latch before jumping to safety.

Brittany Diggs, 25, was kidnapped at gunpoint Tuesday and forced to drive around Birmingham. She said the gunman threatened to kill her and tried to withdraw cash from her bank accounts with her ATM card.

Eventually, the man locked her in the trunk. In an exclusive interview with the Today Show, Diggs said: ā€œThe whole time heā€™s driving, heā€™s, like, just, heā€™s yelling at me from the front seat, ā€˜Youā€™re lying. I know you have something. Give me your money.ā€™ā€

The gunman and her Nissan Altima were recorded on surveillance video at a gas station ā€” and the camera was rolling when Diggs flung the trunk open from inside and ā€œflopped out,ā€ as she put it.

ā€œI just got the bright idea to use my insulin pump light, which is not a bright light, but it was bright enough to see,ā€ Diggs said. ā€œSo I had to put it right on top of it to look and see for the latch.ā€

As the gunman tried to get yet more cash from the gas stationā€™s ATM, ā€œIā€™m holding the latch like this, waiting for him to get back in the car. He gets in and heā€™s yelling ā€¦ and I feel the car reversing, and heā€™s pulling out pretty fast, so Iā€™m, like, ā€˜Oh shoot ā€” I better get out of here.ā€™ā€

Birmingham police confirmed Diggsā€™ account of the escape. So did Yosef Al Sabah: owner of the gas station, who told NBC: ā€œAs he was leaving, I saw the trunk popped up and a woman jumped out of the trunk and came inside the store. I let her inside a safe place and locked the door and called the police.ā€

7 Likes

I saw this story. Brave young woman. Brave and clever with great presence of mind in scary circumstances. Warrior Woman!

5 Likes

Oh my I saw that all over the web yesterday. The pumpĀ“s light is definitely not that bright but it did help her.

Iā€™ve used my Dexcom G5 receiver screen to light my way in the bathroom at night, and that truly was a life saver because if I had peed on the rim my wife would have killed me.:joy:

5 Likes

LOL. I had never thought of using my devices as gadgets in my way to the bathroom at night.

The G5 receiver is a real beacon. Blinding at night.

One of the reasons I returned to the G4 system was the bright white background on the G5 receiver was just too bright on my night eyes.

I use my Sony Smart Watch 3 as my receiver, powered by xDrip+. My G5 receiver is in the original box in my closet, just in case I need a night light.

1 Like

Vibe pump screen works well at night too

One of the things I really liked about the short-lived Asante Snap pump was: built-in flashlight! Apparently it was a feature that the engineers wanted to loseā€“make things smaller, simplerā€“but the founder insisted they find a way to keep, and they did. Came in handy lots of times. Those middle-of-the-night excursions, all too familiar. I was glad of it during the three months I had a Snap. And nowā€¦ VINDICATION baby!

2 Likes