Insulin pump

Hi…my daugther was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes…her doctor mentioned to us regarding the use of insulin pumps…can i ask for any recommendations on what type of pump is suitable for my daugther…she’s 10…by the way we are from the Philippines…thanks…

Sorry to hear the news your daughter is joining the “club” at such an early age. You should first check and see what pumps (manufacturers are available there). They will all work but every country has different one’s available. For the most part there are only two physical types, PODS that are a single attached unit or tubed pumps that are attached by tube and insertion set that go back to the pump which can be worn or placed in pocket.

I think the tubeless aspect of the OmniPod is ideal for kids.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m sorry about your daughter’s diagnosis. My son is 14 and has been pumping for ten years. Do you know what pumps are available to you in the Philippines?

Thanks for taking time to reply. We are constantly searching in the net regarding her condition and the ways that will help to improve her daily life. Hope u can give us suggestions. Thanks.

Hi…whenever i search in the net…i cant find any insulin pumps that is sold here…however the brand that my daugther’s doctor said was medtronic…

Well Medtronic has been in the business for a long time, I have been using them for 15 years. They are the tubed type, they have regular pumps that can be used with CGM’s which monitor blood glucose levels constantly and you make adjustments on the pump from those readings. They also have full closed loop systems that do everything. Go to medtronic.com look under diabetes for all of their products.

1 Like

I think a pump is a great tool, but it’s just a tool. If you’re not up to speed on what Type 1 entails when you DON’T have a pump, you may not be successful WITH one.

Type 1 is difficult even when you’ve had it for years. So, do your research AND really dig into what you need to learn and do to be successful with shots.

Knowing shots well will inform you about what pump might be right for your daughter, too.

1 Like

With one exception all pumps do pretty much the same thing and event he one that is different does pretty much the same thing, just in a different way.

Also, most pumps are about as reliable and functional as another. The main drivers are what is available, and what can be afforded. As mentioned above, pumps are delivery tools. They are great tools, I love mine, but they are not for everybody.

Since you mentioned Medtronic, I found their contact information for the Philippines.

Medtronic Philippines, Inc.
Unit 810, 8th Floor Sun Life Centre,
5th Avenue Corner Rizal Drive,
Bonifacio Global City, Fort Bonifacio,
Taguig City,
Philippines 1634

Tel: +(63) 24035519 local 303

Good luck, but do not stop just Medtronic, remember there are many in this space.

Starting by learning what pumps you have access to is probably best. From there, you can explore the nuances of each and decide what fits best into your and your daughter’s lives. All the pumps serve the same general purpose, but there are differences among them that cater to users’ preferences and lifestyles that are unique to them.

Pumping is very different than injection therapy. Because you are using only fast acting insulin, it tends to require more attention because without the long lasting insulin in the background, things can go awry quickly with an incorrect or missed dose. That isn’t to say that you shouldn’t consider pumping, just understand that it will likely require more work on your part.

The integrated diabetes website has a good comparison of insulin pumps, although may not have the most current models/information. May be a good primer so you know what questions to ask.

1 Like

Pumps are very personal which is why most of us find it so frustrating when insurance companies demand you use only one company.
I have been pumping for a long time and used MiniMed (now Medtronic) for a long time. I switched to Tandem a few years back. Both are great and I never had any issues with customer service.
My only thought is how much insulin she will be taking. Some pumps don’t handle very small basal amounts. That might put some out of the picture if the basal is very tiny which it is for many new type 1’s. Good luck and you are in my thoughts.