Insulin Pumps & Medicare 2022

With Tandem X2, data can be uploaded to web for md, which shows both cgm and pump data.
My endo would print out parts where she suggested changes to make when I first switched to T-slim pump.
I haven’t used Clarity since I switched.
There is companion T:Connect app on phone that is also good.

That’s definitely true. Thanks for clearing that up!

1 Like

I spent a few years training my local Walgreens to bill for part B insulin in my pump. The problem I had was that every six months or so a new pharmacist was at that location and I would have to go over the issue again and again where it usually took 2-3 weeks of back and forth phone calls to get things billed properly and the prescription filled. Lots of frustration… At least Walgreens eventually got the job done after some back and forth. At one time an Albertsons(Safeway) pharmacist told me I was confused about Medicare because all insulin was provided by part D and no amount of explanations would convince him otherwise.

I only mention this because recently I discovered that ADS (Advanced Diabetes Supply) which is a Medicare supplier of my Dexcom and Tandem supplies has started to supply part B insulin. Clearly with them there is no need to go over Medicare billing issues and they have been handling my Humalog(Lispro) refills seamlessly so far. The only problem with them is that they have to ship the insulin via FedEx/UPS and so far they only supply Humalog insulin.

It is not necessary to specifically see an endo each time. Just to be seen by a healthcare provider in a multi-disciplinary endo practice. I’ve only seen the Nurse Practitioner the last year and half.

1 Like

I’d like to check in to this supplier. Could you send me the info privately? I don’t know if we’re allowed to post the info online.

Thanks, that’s great. Hopefully more DMEs will do same, assuming cost of insulin is comparable to RX pricing (or less!!).

Walgreens was the only pharmacy in my area that was willing to file Part B for my insulin. This did not work for me. They required me to pay the 20% that should have been covered by my AARP. It was $84. AARP paid Walgreens $84 so they got that part twice. I tried for 1 year to recover it but did not succeed. I then asked Walgreens to run my insulin through my Part D Rx plan and it was $6 for 90 day supply through Cigna Medicare so I did that for 2021. That plan changed and for 2022 my cost would be $300 every 90 days. I changed to a different Cigna Rx plan for 2022. It costs $55 per month for the plan which is a significant increase. However, insulin is free to me, other meds are either $0 or under $15 through mail order. FYI this is regular Medicare, not an Advantage plan.

1 Like

Hi Ray,

I don’t know why we can’t post this information but anyway here is the website link:

and the phone number is: (866) 422 - 4866 Their corporate name is North Coast Medical (aka Advanced Diabetes Supply). The folks at Dexcom referred me to them a couple of years ago as a Medicare supplier for the G6. I get Tandem pump supplies, Dexcom G6 and Humalog insulin from them all at the same time every three months. They do all of the Medicare part B billing and also directly work with my supplement insurance to get all the copayments. So far I have had no issues with their service. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance… …bob… p.s. there is a blurb on the main page of their website talking about the insulin service.

2 Likes

Well I thought I was replying to you directly via e-mail but I guess I got that wrong and the site wiped out the link I provided. Oh well… Anyway I guess the secret is out, you can just google Advanced Diabetes Supply and get the link I mentioned.

1 Like

I don’t think the TuD forum auto-deletes website mentions. I suspect that another technical gremlin is involved. Here’s the site you posted.

I have no relationship with this company and have never used them. I have, however, seen them referred to favorably in many forum posts.

1 Like

So, I have AARP/UHC for part D. But if the insulin is for a pump it is covered by part B, at $35/prescription/month, and then that is covered by my Part D plan. This is at my local grocery store pharmacy.

My experience with Walgrens has been horrible. I was getting Dexcom supplies from them. Their pharmacy will not check their central office for refills; they just say Medicare is awaiting additional information. The central billing office will say they have been paid by Part B. So it would take me multiple calls to get it straightened our, each time. I then turned to Byram Health Care. No issues.

Mike