Insulin Resistance of a different kind

Have you discussed getting U500 insulin with your dr? You would only have to inject 20% of the volume. BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE HYPER VIGILANT, to not mix up the different insulins.

White rice slays me. Itā€™s like drinking double glucose or something, not sure why either.

I guess itā€™s just super-easy to digest.

I honestly had no idea that such a thing existed on this earth.

Huh.

Iā€™ll ask him about it. With my big boluses on ā€œnormalā€ days, youā€™d think heā€™d have mentioned it.

Well, dear, you just described me to a T. (Or is that an N?) When Iā€™m depressed, I have to FORCE myself to test and bolus, and I DO binge. Did it twice in the last 2 weeks ā€“ with angel food cake, and chocolate layer cake, and butter cookies, and ice cream. I have a CGM, but I DONā€™T have to look at it, and I AM capable of going up into the 400ā€™s without any trouble at all. I did eventually force myself to bolus my BGs down, but I also have the problem of there being the lasting effect of driving my BGs higher than I want.

I also have the problem with not injecting enough insulin. I just had a cup of tea with some Kavli crackers and cream cheese, and it came up to 26g, but I only bolused for 15. I think itā€™s sort of wishful thinking ā€“ hoping that maybe my moribund pancreas will kick in with a little, although I know that it wonā€™t. I also let myself run at 150 all night long, hoping that just maybe, my pancreas would work if given enough time, but it didnā€™t. Maybe I need to have a funeral for my pancreas, because itā€™s really not showing ANY signs of life.

I had a long talk with my psychologist about it, and realized that I binge and struggle with treatment because Iā€™m feeling BAD about myself, and Iā€™m throwing a tantrum, screaming for help. Which is hard, if not impossible to find. One resolution Iā€™ve made, but not had any success in following yet, is to absolutely NOT read the media. If the word ā€œdiabetesā€ comes up and itā€™s not in a scientific journal, and does not specifically say Type 1, then I need to close my eyes and turn the page. Even in your case, where you ARE a Type 2, most of what the media says does NOT apply, and you are better off not getting near it. You are an individual, not a statistic, and you just donā€™t need the crap.

I also make bargains with myself when I really canā€™t resist a binge. Iā€™m going to quote our fearless leader, AR: ā€œGo ahead and binge, but BOLUS for it!!!ā€ Itā€™s probably going to take time to figure out why you binge, but your immediate well-being is much more important. If I binge, and bolus for it, and keep correcting, and therefore keep my BGs in a relatively good place, Iā€™ve won half the victory. The other half is concentrating on eating better for the next few days to try to get my ā€œgrooveā€ back in the right place. Current groove is 120 - 140, whereas Iā€™d REALLY like it to be 70-90, but will settle for 100 - 120.

Nobody ever said diabetes would be easy, no matter what the particulars of your own case ā€“ but I really appreciate your talking about it, especially since I have some of the same problems. Just gotta remember to keep on slogging.

1 Like

500 U insulin is a great suggestion.

Aaah, indeed, why do we do the things we know we shouldnā€™t? Denial, rebellion & then inevitable shame & self-punisment followed by more rebellion & denial & indulgence. An inter-related complex web. Iā€™ll pretend I didnā€™t really eat that much by under bolusing. Iā€™ll punish myself by taking my lumps with high BG. Ooo, Iā€™m so ā€œbadā€ā€“further proof I canā€™t do this. Easy to get too caught up in the overwhelming daily minutia, over think, over analyze & toss it all out. Another avoidance strategy.

Understand the fear of lows. Itā€™s real. It feels horrible. We all hate lows. Easier to correct a low than a high, though. Nothing I detest more than the high/low roller coaster scene & Iā€™ll do anything to prevent both.

1 Like

Usually you canā€™t just go to any pharmacy to get it (not sure if GH would cover or not) and like peruvian said it can be dangerous if mixed up. It also has a slow onset and a quite wicked tail (obviously everyone is differentā€¦) so by and large I do not see a whole lot of it used. I do think when this size of a bolus is needed thoughā€¦

Part of it is, I think, that I ran so high for so long that Iā€™m more scared of seeing 79 on my meter than I am of 179.

I have now printed across my log book sheets:

Remember: Anything between 71 and 99 is normal.

I have an irrational fear of double-digit readings, but Iā€™m working on it.

Yeah, itā€™s tough. Of course, I have no trouble telling you, ā€œOh, gosh, go ahead and bolus for it, Nat.ā€ But do I heed my own good advice?

Sometimesā€¦

I agree with every word you wrote. Thank you for your sincere honesty.

I just need toā€¦stop it.

Jean, Iā€™m the opposite:) I get white hot mad at highs. Know Iā€™ll be spending the rest of the day or night testing & attempting to bring numbers down. Feels like it takes forever to get back into range. I get impatient & frustrated when the high is already physically making me feel irritable.

Iā€™m struggling with this whole issue as well. Recently Iā€™ve noticed Huge insulin resistance in the morning. I had eggs, sausage, and one slice of wheat bread for breakfast Saturday and my bg went from 133 to 210 2 hrs later. And usually Iā€™m 1:15 but I bolused 1:5 and it didnā€™t help. Went up and down all that day 111 before to190 after. 131/222 and finally down to 145 at bedtime. Sunday was 138 before and 157 after. not too bad. But went out for Fatherā€™s Day Lunch and even tho I bolused like crazy I went from 142 to 293 2 hrs after. Hours later I finally ate dinner even tho my bg was still 164 and after was 167. At bedtime my body relented and lowered to 106. Now itā€™s morning and my wake up bg is 147. I feel upset and donā€™t know what to do anymore.

The reason I allow myself to go ahead and bolus for it is because the alternative in my case is NOT to bolus for it, but binge anyway, and I almost killed myself doing that last year. I DO agree with the person who suggested shining the light on WHY we binge, but first things first, which, in my case is keeping myself alive (and I HOPE the same goal in yours.)

I donā€™t usually bolus ENOUGH for the binge, mostly because I donā€™t know how many frigginā€™ carbs there are in the food, nor how much Iā€™m going to eat. But again, the agreement with myself is that I keep checking hourly, and keep correcting until I get my BG down. I had a problem last year in that my boluses and corrections were way too small, and I never did come down satisfactorily ā€“ go up a lot, come down a little, go up more, come down a little, etc. And this was with all food, not just binge food. So the agreement now is that I take as much as I need, EVEN if I throw myself low. (Thanks, AR!!) I have good hypo awareness, and I can catch them before they go dangerously low. I donā€™t like them (actually, am terrified of them), but thatā€™s the price I have agreed to pay for bingeing.

Of course, I am only talking about my own experience, may or may not be relevant to you, but I think the process of making a plan for handling binges is better than just bingeing mindlessly, and then feeling sick and guilty afterward. I donā€™t need to punish myself even more when I already feel like the worst, most unloveable woman in the universe. Taking care of my diabetes is self-love, EVEN though it is sometimes almost impossible to do it. Still gonna keep tryinā€™ . . .

Agree 100%, lots. To be honest, I find it disturbing when people receive sympathetic hugs & ā€œitā€™s ok, we need a break, itā€™s fine to treat yourself, a 300 now & then isnā€™t going to kill you, etc.ā€ Itā€™s not ok to binge (I donā€™t mean the occasional goodie). It becomes a slippery slope. Damage is cumulative & I donā€™t think itā€™s helpful to justify that itā€™s acceptable. Diabetes isnā€™t a game to try to cheat. This disease steals our life, our health, our time, our finances.

Insulin resistance/carb sensitivity in the morning is typical. Itā€™s a continuation of dawn phenomenon. My morning ratio is crazy low & I eat only protein for breakfast. I eat & bolus as soon as I wake up or my BG continues to climb. If I postpone breakfast, itā€™s a mess because BG is rising & so the usual ratio doesnā€™t work. Near impossible to bolus adequately for restaurant meals. I stay with the basics of protein & veggies, sauces on the side. Restaurants add sugar, corn starch & other BG raising ingredients.

lotsofshots wrote:

all of us are having a hard time letting go of the idea that first we treat the binge and later we will figure out the rest and reach our goals.

I said something to this effect elsewhere, but while the bingeing may be the main problem, the first priority is to stay alive, which means bolusing for it, even if itā€™s a big bolus. So, OF COURSE, first we treat the binge, and then we figure out the rest of the issue. Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m working on. But I almost killed myself last year by bingeing and not bolusing for it, and thatā€™s NOT going to happen again.

:slight_smile:

I can see that but, to me, if you are eating b/c of whatever reason (potato chip addict myselfā€¦so Iā€™m not totally unfamiliar with the ā€œmysteriesā€ of which you speakā€¦) you can either eat and calculate the bolus and end up ā€œin the ball parkā€ or you can eat and not calculate or take 1/2 as much insulin as you should and have two things to be annoyed/ upset/ depressed/ etc. about. If you can keep your BG in line while binging, it seems like youā€™d be more able to focus on why one is binging in the first place, instead of being distracted by cleaning up the diabetes debris everywhere?

Oh, I hear you loud and clear. I did that a couple of times in my teens and learned my lesson.

If only it were as easy for me to avoid over-eating as it is drinking. I could go the rest of my life without drinking a sip of alcohol and Iā€™d never even think to miss it.

Over-eating mountains of food? Thatā€™s another story.

You make an excellent point. I find it easier to recover from a binge if Iā€™m not bouncing around on the ceiling, hitting my head on 280ā€™s and 340ā€™s. Ow!!!

I think limiting myself to protein in the a.m. will be key to maintaining control through the day. I need to plan better for breakfasts (the night before),

Planning better on general would help thwart the urge to just eat whatever and to heck with the consequences.