Insulin Resistance?

I know that you feel like you don’t have a lot of fat, but you can do this. I am about 15% bodyfat, but don’t have any trouble pinching a good inch of “love handles” which is more than enough. Even the good Dr. B who must have a body fat of less than 10% can do it. He can even inject in his in the body fat on his arm, I still have not been able to do that.

Thanks for the wonderful pointers bsc! I think my endo is not ready to put me on a basal yet but said it will be in my future as soon as my fasting bg goes up.

oh ok…well my endo thinks otherwise and he seems to know what he is doing I am under 140 always before meals and fasting and a lot of the time around 110.

Yeah I have a little bit to pinch up and I tried pinching up then releasing after before counting to 10 yesterday.

Top of butt & lower butt are good places to inject, if you don’t mind twisting yourself into a pretzel. Even skinny people have some padding there. Love handes work well. No thanks to arms. That’s a pain in more ways than one.

LOL!

How do you know if you have hit a muscle? I am only injecting into abdomen and like it because I can see what I am actually doing. I’ve heard to stay as far away from middle of stomach as possible to avoid hitting a muscle. Any other tips on how to not hit a muscle?

That’s a pretty good level of control. One thing you might not pick up on, is that occasionally we all go “out of whack” and have some wacko high or low numbers. It’s important to be able to sift through the numbers and not feel bad or obsess too much with the numbers that are out of whack, but at the same time see if we can identify any patterns that will help us stay in whack :slight_smile:

Thanks Tim :slight_smile:

You’ll know if you hit muscle because it will be painful. Very important to rotate injection sites to prevent scar tissue. Scar tissue prevents insulin from being absorbed. Use your entire stomach area, just stay 2" away from your belly button. You don’t need to avoid the middle area. You can see to inject into the top & outer part of thighs, love handles, top of butt & lower butt.

Pinching up skin with a layer of fat is how to miss muscle.

So it’s 4 hours since I ate dinner and my bg is 197…can you do a correction bolus before going to bed??

If you’re counting to 15 before pulling out the needle you shouldn’t be leaking that much. What size needle is it? I used a 12.5 mm or 5.8th in. and I know they come in 8mm and now in a nano 4mm. I betcha you need a longer needle.

If you hit a muscle you will feel it. Like the others have said pinch as much fat as you can but you look pretty lean. May have to use your love handles or buttocks.

If you’re very sure of your correction ratio & set your alarm to test in 2-3 hours after correcting. Doctors advise against correcting before bed because of overnight lows. I do correct before bed & sometimes only take 1/2 the correction I normally would. I also take Levemir right before bed.

I have to or I cannot fall asleep. BG needs to be on the lower end of normal. I feel like in the movie Deer hunter playing Russian roulette.

true

Thanks Gerri! I decided not to correct because I was too afraid of going low overnight especially since I do not have a correction ratio…or pretty much any ratio at all!lol I decided to ride the bike for 35 minutes instead and then my BG was 89! Havent seen that number in a while! I dropped 110 points, have I mentioned I LOVE exercise?lol…But then my fasting was 146!? I’m always stable overnight…wonder if I went low and my liver spit out some glucose.

lol more power to ya Holko, I was too chicken to give it a shot.

Wow, that’s amazing! I’d ride a bike to China if exercise did that for me. Remember a high before bed that had me freaked since I was told never to correct before going to sleep. I exercised, including running up & down the stairs until my legs felt like lead. Did very little to help lower BG.

Sorry about the morning reading. Sure could have been the pesky liver. Frustrating!

I would encourage you to think about doing some self-experimentation. You were given an insulin to carb ratio, which is almost guaranteed to be wrong. And I’ve not heard you say what your insulin sensitivity factor (sometimes called correction factor) is or whether you have been given one. This weekend would be a great time to do a lunch time experiment. Perhaps take a fixed meal and see whether your current insulin to carb ratio leaves you way high. Then you can also try a correction at 4 hours and see what a unit of insulin does. Correcting when you don’t know you factor is problematic. You should get a first cut at a factor so you know how much 1 unit of insulin drops your blood sugar.