Insulin therapy

CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT INSULIN THERAPY YOU ARE ON AND HOW IS IT WORKING? MY DAUGHTER IS 16 AND IS ON LANTIS AND NOVOLOG

I’m on the pump so I use only Humalog and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for my health.

Pre-pump I used Humalog and Lantus (I briefly also used Novolog) and things weren’t as great.

I don’t know how long your daughter has been diabetic but if there is one piece of advice that I wished someone had given me back in the day it’s this: Don’t inject in the same areas all the time. Spread the injection sites around as much as possible. I don’t mean just a couple of inches away from the previous site but somewhere else altogether. For example, if breakfast shot is in the left arm, lunch should be in the right, dinner in a leg, Lantus in the butt, next day switch to stomach etc. Scar tissue build-up can have a very serious impact on insulin absorption and can severely affect her health.

DM type 1 is state of lack of insulin. Or zero insulin produce from pancreas.

Insuin injection can compensate lack of insulin in type 1 DM in teenage.

Hi Charlene

By the way, if you write in all caps that’s considered to be screaming, and I’m sure you don’t mean to do that!

I take Lantus and Apidra which is another fast-acting bolus insulin like Novolog. I am dong well with this regimen though occasionally have to modify doses. How is your daughter doing? Did you have a specific question people on here can help with? Lots of very knowledgeable people here!

I use Humalog with an insulin pump. When I go off my pump on occasion (for instance, beachy vacations in the tropics), I switch to lantis and humalog injections.

how is Humalog working with Lantus compared to Novolog and Lantus

My daughter has had type 1 since she was 4. She is now 16. What kind of insulin are you on if any?

What’s important is what works best for your daughter. People respond differently to different brands & types of insulin. Some have to switch brands after a number of years because they develop a resistance to a particular brand. Are her numbers good?

In a hospital, the two bolus insulins, Novolog and Humalog, are considered equivalent. They are short acting. It is only the individual’s own blood sugar response that would indicate a difference, if switched. One or the other is taken when one knows how many grams of carbohydrate one is eating and definitely will be eating it within 20 minutes at the longest. At a restaurant, it’s best to take it when the food is within view and in the waiter’s hands, and he is about to arrive at the table. One also needs to know how many grams are handled by one unit. It peaks, then lasts about 2-3 hours.
Lantus should not be put in the same syringe with either Novolog or Humalog. Lantus is long acting. It’s not supposed to have a peak action time; some people use two doses, morning and at bedtime to even out the response. The right dose is one that provides no low or high blood sugars in the absence of eating. The dose takes care of the body’s 24 hour cellular functions.

I’m not so sure about your comment that Lantus doesn’t peak. When I was put on Lantus for the first time I was shown a diagram indicating the max peak times and plateaus. I still have the diagram somewhere in the house, but I’d rather not search for it right now since I haven’t used it in a long while and I’m sure it’s buried somewhere in a stack of files and folders.

Pavlos,
I actually wrote more - on my own dose - and mentioned my splitting doses - due to a peak, but it didn’t make it in because I was called away from the computer and the second part didn’t make it in! I also think a 16 year old’s use of insulin varies due to hormonal actions - which didn’t make it in! Good reason for pumps!

Hi. My niece has been on Novolog via pump since diagnosis four years ago. We now have the Dexcom Plus and have observed that her blood sugar does not come down until exactly one hour and twenty minutes after giving Novolog and often a sharp drop. Also the DIA lasts four and a half to five hours. Since it takes so long to leave the system, we are feeding the insulin on board. We realize we just can’t get the control we want with Novolog. Tried Apidra for a week period and she was high a lot of the time. Nevertheless, we are going to try Apidra again, but will start from scratch, adjust all basals, bolus, correction factors, etc. It will be great to have an insulin that is completely out of her system in three hours. So, we will see.

to care you kid
1 four times a day insulin injection or less
2 Control A1C < 6.5%
3 Control blood pressure <130/85 mm Hg

Insulin work by reduced blood sugar level to normal range.

Anyone who's on both Novolog and Levemir?

I have been, has worked pretty well for me, except that i dont really like MDI, so i went on a pump. but they are both insulins from novo nordisk, so they should work well together, but it depends as always on your personal Diabetes.

Not using the pump...injections only. My current insulin regimen is Levemir at night, Humalog+Symlin during the day. I only take Levemir once before bed and during the day, I use a Humalog pen along with a Symlin pen. For meals, I usually will take between 2 and 4 units of Humalog (depends on carbohydrates) plus 60u of Symlin. My BGs never go above 150 and if it does, I always know why (too many carbohydrates and not enough Humalog usually). I used to inject Novalog but for myself, it seemed to give me "head fog" which seemed to be caused by Novalog leeching potassium. Once I switched to Humalog, the head fog went away completely. Symlin doesn't work for everyone and for a 16 year old, the side effects might be a little rough. However, for someone so young she could probably skip Symlin (if looking into something like this). T1 as a young person is pretty rough (yup...I remember).

I’ve switched between novo log and humalog and back again. I respond exactly the same to both.
I find that a pump can respond to changes in food intake and exercise more easily than any long acting insulin.

You can’t turn off lantus if you go for a run or if you want to delay dinner.

With a pump I find it easier to manage. When I go to the gym I disconnect for one hour and then reduce by basal by 60 percent for 2 more hours. I can’t think how you can manage that with injections unless you just eat more carbs to compensate.