Insurance Coverage of Test Strips

Kathyann,
My insurance co, BS of CA requires that my dr write “Test before and after breakfast, before and after lunch, before and after dinner, and at bedtime.” They won’t take “7 times/day”. Just to warn you. When my dr wrote “7 times per day”, they only authorized 100 for the month.

I think I busted my brain. In my little twisted part of the world, a month is 30 days long (actually a tad more). So testing 6 times a day works out to 180 strips per month. 7 times a day is 210. My strips (one touch) come in boxes of 100. So for 6 times a day you should get 2 boxes a month and for 7 times a day you should get three. So being told by your doctor to test 7 times a day and being given 100 strips a month is not only in direct conflict with the core tenants of intensive insulin management, but displays a command of math below 1st grade level.

Please help me, my head hurts.

You will get your extra box in November!! Merry Xmas!!

I tried that with a complaint for why my insurance raised the cost of my name brand Vicodin. I have serious allergies to all the generic versions I have ever tried. I told them I could take generic and they could pay for the emergency room. Their response was “We recommend you use the name brand”. They will not pay extra to keep me out of the emergency room. They are gambling that most people won’t take such steps and they are probably right. Insurance is not about rational health care…

This whole change does not appear to be based on cost to consumers. Precision Strips cost the same as One Touch at Safeway here. So the insurance wants me to use One Touch so they can pay 90 percent rather than using Precision where they pay 70 percent. If both strips cost the same, why would they want me to buy something that costs them more per box? It cannot be about saving money, unless there’s money somewhere we are not seeing. Otherwise, the insurer just raised their cost 20% per box. Not likely. Unless bsc is correct about insurance company math skills…

Yes, but it will be the special Xmas box, already opened, with only one vial and with only the 2 strips that you “deserve” cause you were such a good boy.

Merry Grinchin Xmas

I’ll let my endo know to write before breakfast, at teatime, after breakfast, after teatime, before lunch, after lunch,at afternoon break, after my boss chews me out, before my drive home, before dinner, during American Idol, after dinner, while I talk to my dad on the phone, and at bedtime. Also when I brush my teeth. lol

My insurance company made me change from my one touch ultra smart meter to either the freestyle or the accu-check. I ordered the accu-check because it has the download on the computer feature that I really liked about the one touch. the only problem is that I really really hate the lancet drum thing. I have wasted several of those drums trying to load the dang things. I have called and complained to the insurance company about this. I think we should have a choice is what product we should get to use. It is something we have to live with everyday. the strips for most of the systems cost the same anyway. My one-touch Ultra smart allowed me to enter my food, meds, and other tests. this accu-check is simply the bg. I really want my one touch back.

They or their pharmeceutcal flying monkeys negotiate the prices directly with the manufacturers.

test strips are the next best thing to gold and oil!

And wind turbines!