Insurance forcing me to switch to Humalog

I’ve used both NovoLog and Humalog in my pump and I couldn’t care less which one of the two I use. They both work the same for me.

1 Like

I had the same problem. Humalog is FREE for me but novolog was Tier 3 after the prior auth went through. Fortunately, Humalog seems to be working.

Very little if any difference for most people. I switched from novolog to humalog a few years ago for a discount… at the time due to the placebo/nocebo effect I had convinced myself that it didn’t work as well… here a few years later when novolog is again cheaper, I tried humalog again just because I had it laying around and was curious and now I’ve managed to convince myself that it works better… grass is always greener on the other side but for most people in most cases it’s interchangable

1 Like

And then you found out it was astro-turf? :wink:

2 Likes

With my current insurance, something is weird… Humalog is the “preferred” insulin and only one that’s “covered” by the plan; however, when my endo filed for a prior authorization (due to me allergy to Humalog), they approved Apidra for me. Here’s the weirdness: The 90-day copay for Humalog was going to be $150, yet the PA’d Apidra is only costing me $90 for 90 days!??

2 Likes

Sweet deal! Don’t ask questions :wink:

3 Likes

I find no difference between the two. In the 30+ years on a pump I have switched back & forth several times. If you have problems staying below 7% A1C then the problem are the carbs. Go to a very low carb diet and everything is easier.

I’ve been on Humalog since my Whippple surgery 09/02/2016. I just saw my endocringolist this past week and ask him about Novolog he said that in most cases it takes more Novolog than Humalog. So, don’t get too bent out of shape, this just might be good.

We recently switched from Humalog to Novolog.
No obvious difference for us.

1 Like

I will do this - good tip. Thanks

I had to switch to Humalog from Novolog as well. I found no difference in the two in terms of how it worked.

I did, however, prefer the Novolog pen to the Humalog pen. The Novolog pens I was using clicked down as I injected each unit, so I could count the number of clicks as a double-check to the strength of the dose I had just taken. The Humalog pens don’t click when you inject. So after you inject and start thinking, “wait, was the 3 or 4 units”, you have no way of knowing.

1 Like

I was also forced to switch from Novolog to Humalog by my insurance company about 3 years ago. Like you, I was very leery of the change as I hadn’t really encountered any issues with Novolog. In my case, I couldn’t tell any difference between the two. I am a pump user and all my settings remained the same.

I’m still fighting the HMO. My cost is back to $100 per vial (or more) and they rejected my grievance form. Even though, I have a very well long-standing documented case of Humalog allergy. Not pleased. And now the pharmacy cant get the Novo discount card to go through at all. The two insulins are the same for many, but not all of us.

2 Likes

Thank you

not as much of an interruption
not as much
as much

So, SOME degree of interruption (i.e., irreparable tissue damage drastically reducing quality of life) is just fine? If the insurance company’s greed only causes the guy to die a little bit earlier, then that’s OK? I disagree.

That is obviously not what I was saying.

2 Likes

Well, it took some time, but I got my Novolog. You people need to learn to stand up for yourselves. I can’t believe anybody could be so weak as to let their doctor or some insurance company prevent them from treating their diabetes. I told them I don’t take Humalog, I take Novolog, and nobody is going to f!?#%*g take it away from me. If I have to fire my doctor, or sue the s#%t out of the insurance company, I will, because this is a matter of life and death. We should support each other on this forum — not encourage each other to fold when some greedy insurance company, or spineless doctor, tries to take away our insulin.

Some things are worth the battle others are not. Humalog vs Novolog wasn’t since for me there is no difference.

Now CGM would be something I would fight for.

2 Likes

My insurance company told me to change from the Humalog I was taking to Novolog. I did some research and decided it wouldn’t be worth a fight for me to refuse to change insulins that were so much alike. It was an extremely easy exchange. I am very careful about picking my battles.

3 Likes

I suppose you’re hoping to find someone here to yell at because of your frustrations with your insurance company.

No one here made that decision. Go ahead and get angry at those who did.

Your second post on this forum was spent throwing curses and calling people weak.

… who exactly isn’t being supportive here?

2 Likes