Interesting info about and thoughts on the feet-on-floor phenomenon and dusk phenomenon

I guess I thought of them as all part of the same continuum, but I take your point.

YES! Drives me nuts. “High” and “low” have special meanings in the D context, so there’s a confusing ambiguity there. References to “setting your I:C ratio higher” and the like always stop me in my tracks for some head-scratching. Because the context is all about insulin usage, I tend to assume it refers to the insulin part, so a “higher” ratio is one where the amount of insulin you have to take for a certain # of carbs is “higher” than a “lower” one. In which case, yeah, 1:6 is “higher” than 1:12, because if your meal is, say, 36 carbs, it’s the difference between taking 6 units vs only 3 units. But I’m never sure the person saying it means what I think they mean, so I prefer if people just give me the numbers and skip the terminology.

OT, so I’ll save it for another thread, but I have a similar mini-rant about the ambiguity of “diabetic coma” when it appears in the media or common parlance—I know what I think it refers to but is that what they are referring to?

I agree. So regardless of which is correct, I try to avoid using the higher or lower term in regards to the I:C as the meaning is easily lost on the audience regardless of the correctness or not.

I prefer to say things like:
I am changing the I:C from 1:10 to 1:8 so as to provide more insulin with the food.

Bottom line is avoiding confusion. Even in my own head.

Our basal profile has a 40% increase from 5AM to 8AM. That seems to work pretty good for us.

Obvious [unresolved] issue is school days vs weekend days.

I’ve found that people are often confused about inverse mathematical relationships. How many times have we all run into the social confusion about how to treat a person passed out from hypoglycemia? My former coworkers often asserted that I needed insulin! Insulin and blood sugar move in an inverse relationship.

Remember the grade school math teachers who tried to tell us about the difference between direct and inverse variation? The human brain certainly gets the direct variation but trips over the inverse one.

I agree with @Tim35. It’s better to communicate about the ultimate effect.

You can also say things like, “I’m making my basal rates more aggressive or less aggressive.” Adding that you will be adding or subtracting insulin makes a clear conclusion. I think verbally stepping around the inverse relationship trap and using clear narrative terms is the best solution. I don’t think the confusion over inverse math relationships will ever be fixed in the general population.