Interesting read on the ketogenic diet

stay in the green

I usually eat around 150g per day on days I donā€™t lift. But I also tend to get a fair bit of exercise, in general.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recipe ideas, that Keto spaghetti looks good which Iā€™ve seen and thought would be a delicious trade in for wheat noodles (which are the devil).

1 Like

@Jimi63 Maybe you can help me with thisā€¦

Iā€™ve been out of the hospital for a week following four days on the keto diet and then four days getting seriously ill with a stomach bug compounded by dehydration (a typical thing that happens to me and has sent me into DKA before).

After I started feeling better, I have wanted little to do with anything we ate leading up to getting sick. I also know that my numbers were awesome during that time. Hubby and I have just started talking again about what our next move is. He doesnā€™t feel like full on keto is good for me and puts me in a compromised position when faced with illness, dehydration, etc. We have talked about seeing a diabetic dietician - which I have before, just never one I liked. We also talked about just restricting carbs - say, a 100 g/day, which seems to be a good compromise between eating whatever I want and what we were eating on keto.

Thoughts, anyone? Help us make our next life choice :wink:

Anything to reduce carb intake helps BG swings (Highs and Lows). I suppose if I were going to choose groups of carbs to exclude, the first to go would be refined grains (any sort of bread, including crackers and cereals) as well as all pastaā€™s and high glycemic index foods such as rice. Another one would be the starches such as potatoes. Limit your intake of fruits.

Hope this helps!

Keto flu possibly? I personally eat 100 grams a day (itā€™s hard for me to go lower on the 670). If you need support pm me, so glad youā€™re taking control of your health and wanting to find answers.

1 Like

We mentioned that several times to the doctor, but there is no way. My husband and then my mom (not keto) both caught it, but on a much smaller scale.

Thanks. I am also on the 670. We are trying to get my IR down to where my high risk OBGYN is comfortable with me getting pregnant.

1 Like

You might like to look at the Mastering Diabetes website. This is the eating plan I switched to after 11 yrs on 30 carbs a day. Now I eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, oat grouts, potatoes, lentils, legumes, rice etc.
Fat is limited to 15% of calories.

I have followed this way of eating for 2 1/2 yrs. I have been a type 1 for 60 yrs. No working beta cells. I take 23 units of insulin and eat 300 carbs a day. The woe greatly increases insulin sensitivity. I also exercise an hour a day.

There are several pregnant women who are on the forum.
Oh I also lost weight on this eating plan.

The two guys who run this are both extremely healthy type 1ā€™s. One has a doctorate from Berkeley in Nutritional Biochemistry and an undergraduate degree from Stanford in Mechanical Engineering.

1 Like

May I ask how and if this improved your A1C? Please donā€™t feel obligated to share.

Elysian, my Alc on very low carb went from 4.7 to 5.1 over the years. Most folks going into the Mastering Diabetes program have higher A1cā€™s than I did and their A1cā€™s fall on this program. My recent A1cā€™s have been from 5.3 to 5.5. I am willing to settle for this.

Wow you have found an excellent program for you! My A1C is finally down to to the low 6ā€™s but Iā€™m curious to find anything that would make it even lower. I think stress has a lot to do with my numbers, I try to stay active at least three times a week as well but sometimes that gives me even more trouble if I over exert.

How does one ask privately? My badges show group messaging, but I do not see any PM options. I have seen some messages uploaded to the board and did not know if that was optional or automatic.

1 Like

click icon next to post. choose ā€œMessageā€

1 Like

Thanks will try - Was not sure that would keep message private.

2 Likes

The important formula seem to be ā€œfat>carbsā€ (balance protein), where you eat less carbs, while having more fat, to allow the body to burn fat than glycogen. This is a bit tough for a lot of people, yes including me, since you eat less food, with fat and protein making you full longer.

1 Like

Jim, can you explain what you mean by ā€œit no longer worksā€. Do you mean u canā€™t lose weight on the diet mentioned? Iā€™f so, Iā€™m not understanding how one canā€™t lose weight by eating only those foods.

@Dave44 - What I was referring to ("ā€¦ no longer works") was a couple of the food groups referenced i.e. fruits and certain (starchy) vegetables.

1 Like

ah. got it. Iā€™m able to easily lose weight if I avoid all the white foods, basically.

1 Like

I was never hungry while eating very low carb. I am never hungry eating plant based and low fat either. I also lost 10 lbs when I switched to low fat plant based eating.

1 Like

@Marilyn6 Iā€™m convinced that you are a superhero. :wink: What I love about low carb is the anxiety it takes away from counting and trying to give the correct amount of insulin. Iā€™ve learned that most times my hormones greatly control how my body reacts to insulin so for you to be able to eat those healthy carbs and do so well I must say Iā€™m convinced youā€™re Wonder Woman.

1 Like