Interview with Dexcom CEO (March 2016)

Lots of interesting details and points made in the recent interview with Kevin Sayer, the Dexcom CEO, by The Motley Fool, including:

• As expected, they are continuing to work with FDA on having their CGM approved for dosing (which is what many of us, including me, are already doing). This is viewed as critical for Medicare. Quote: “There’s a lot of science behind our belief that our device is good enough for a dosing claim now. The FDA’s indicated to us that the current G5 system with the current algorithm should be accurate enough, and we’ve had a lot of discussions about the data required to get there and post-market data that they would be interested in. We’ll know more about that. Like I said, there’s meetings scheduled over the next two months that are going to be critical in that process. In May, we’ll say more.”

• They will file for approval of an updated G5 system in the first half of 2016, which they expect to launch in the second half of 2016. This will include a new insertion system and a new slimmer transmitter.

• After that, G6 will incorporate the same insertion technology as the updated G5, but will include a completely new sensor and a different algorithm for better accuracy. Sensor life will officially be extended to around 10 days (not clear if that implies even longer real-life use compared to existing sensors). Furthermore, the system will require a single calibration per day and will be able to block interference from acetaminophen and other interfering compounds.

• Lots on financials, growth and investments: partnership with Verily, a new data platform, European expansion, a new factory in Arizona.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting a link to this article, @Dragan1. It was an interesting read and it looks like Dexcom will continue on its relatively rapid rate of product iteration. I’m not excited to get a new sensor inserter in the latter half of this year but I guess there are people that are fearful of the current system. I’m lucky not to have that fear.

I’m wondering if their new 10-day sensor life will be hard-wired for 10 days only. The ability to restart sensors and use them until they no longer work has been a big appeal for me. Their decision to lock down their G5 transmitter life to a maximum of 112 days makes sense if they wanted to guarantee product dependability and safety. But I worry about decisions like this, like sensor life, being influenced more by the profit-seeking part of the company.

Dexcom has been such a patient-focused company in the past and I hope they retain that culture for many years to come.

2 Likes