Introducing Me!

Aloha!

I am so happy to have found this group! I’m Melinda, I’m a mom, Navy wife, daughter, friend, photographer, beach bum, shopaholic, world traveler, computer geek, baton twirler, scrapbooker and Type 1 pumper! I have had diabetes for 16 years, diagnosed at 11 in 1992 (when meters were HUGE, test strips had to be wiped off with a cotton ball to test, and it took forever) and did my first 8 years with shots before switching to pumping before my senior year of college. I am so grateful for these last 8 years of pumping - while I am still not in great control (at the moment), it has been such a better fit for me than MDI.

I am going through some not so great complications now - I have had over ten laser treatments on my eyes since 2006 due to retinopathy and have some kidney changes, but all in all things are good. It’s all about perspective - I had no complications at all until I had my children, and they are the greatest things that ever happened to me - so if this is the trade-off, it is well worth it. I always wanted to be a mommy, and I was never really sure it would ever happen for me, so I count my blessings everyday. So far, my babies are diabetes free, and I am hoping it stays that way.

I am striving to do better, and am not sure why my A1C is through the roof at the moment - I just lost 50 pounds in the first half of 2008, though, so maybe that is triggering some general weirdness in my body. I thought losing weight would be great for my body, by diabetes has a way of just screwing with everything!

Well, enough about me - for now! Hahahaha… Thanks to everyone who took the time to welcome me, and I look forward to getting to know you all better…

Melinda

Nice to meet you! Welcome to Tudiabetes:) If you need anything let us know

Welcome Melinda!
So glad you found the site! We have so many caring people here, and feel free to ask questions anytime!
Best,
~Carrie

Nice to meet you, Melinda! I was diagnosed in 1992, too! Great to see you’ve found us. I’m so happy to see you have kids! =) It’s always been a fear of mine, conceiving. But it’s thru people like you that I can gain the confidence that it CAN happen! Well, WELCOME! We’re glad you’re here!

Hey Melinda! I’m so glad you joined TuD. Thanks for commenting on my blog post re my pregnancy and my family member who has a big mouth!! That’s too bad that your MIL acted weird about your two kids, but I have to admit that it’s kind of nice to know that someone else out there understands my situation!!
Do you mind if I ask whether you had your eyes checked during your pregnancies? I am always concerned about my eyes just because I have had T1 for so long and now I’m wondering if pregnancy will affect them. Anyway, thanks again and I hope you have a good day. :slight_smile:
Katie

Melinda: Your support is very much appreciated regarding my Mommy/Baby concerns. Thank you so much!