iPump no longer accepting Medtronic pumps/supplies or Cozmo pumps

http://www.ipump.org/blog/2009/08/08/why-we-are-no-longer-accepting-medtronic-insulin-pumps-and-pump-supplies

http://www.ipump.org/blog/2009/08/01/ipump-is-no-longer-accepting-smiths-medical-cozmo-insulin-pumps

How foolish of Medtronic that calls and letters are not responded to . I can’t blame ipump.org for their decision ; they don’t want to get sued .
I am a MM user and have never come across a problem which was unsolvable ( 8 years this month )

What is an IPUMP, first I heard of it.

I don’t know. I sent a pump to Ipump and I am really heart broke about this. i really do not understand how medtronic could be so darn contrary. I think i will call medtronic and register a complaint. I suggest we all do it

rick phillips

This is terrible! I was thinking of sending my cozmo to iPump. It is sad that cozmo(Smith Medical) a great pump has had to shut down. Now Medtronic pumps are not being accepted because of faulty products…someone needs to take the bull by the horns and twist this around!

Hi All, I am new to the pump. Just got mine this week. Haven’t started using it. After reading all your comments and one of the other blogs, I am saying to myself that this maybe more than I want to handle. The shots are difficult, but no recalls and less headaches. Please advise.

Hello Jawaid…please note my first comment . I am wearing a MM pump for over 8 years and it has changed my life wearing a pump , in my case in particular a Medtronic pump .I will continue with the MM .Less head aches for me " litterally" …when I awoke form a dandy of a low BG prior to pumping regularly . I am sure this forum sounds scary to a new pumper. I don’t think , this was Manny’s intention when he posted this .

ipump.org is an organization ,who gives pumps,assesories, glucometers, strips to people in need , other ??..you can donate to ipump.org , they distribute .

You should continue to use your pump in confidence. The FDA and several top law firms are now putting the squeeze on Medtronic so I think they may be better about letting consumers know of problems. Most of Medtronics legal issues are unrelated to insulin pumps, but other medical devices handled by a different division.

No matter what type of pump people use anytime something unusual happens with their pump they should immediately call the manufacturer.

iPump’s main issue with Medtronic is that they will not exchange defective items because we did not purchase them.

I was also dismayed to discover Medtronic knowingly directing insulin pumps too old to be upgraded to our organization. Animas and Smith’s also have “too old to update rules” so Medtronic was not unfair to draw a line somewhere. However, they should be telling people that pumps older than 512 models will not be repaired, supported, or accepted by Medtronic from an individual or from our own organization.

We hope this recent publicity will help open better avenues of communication with Medtronic MiniMed.

Lahle Wolfe
CEO, iPump

I too, am very sad that Smith’s Medical went under. They had great pumps and some very child-friendly features. Unfortunately, they could just not break into the market and I think the massive recent recall of their own pump line really hurt them.

Medtronic enjoys about 80% of the U.S. market for insulin pump sales. The rest was mostly shared between Animas and Smith, with Animas in front.

Smiths is honoring all warranties on existing pumps. But when a pump is donated, the warranty cannot be legally transferred (per Federal law). So we have to purchase new warranties on pumps we place. This is why we can no longer place Cozmo pumps - there would be no warranty or recertification making passing it along to anyone else illegal (and dangerous)

So far, Animas seems to be hanging in there. It would be a tremendous disservice to people with diabetes to not have choices of insulin pumps. We are still accepting Animas pumps models IR 1250 or newer. Animas is still graciously repairing and recertifying, or upgrading donated pumps through our organization.

Their lack of response was very, very frustrating. I was able to speak several times with department reps who said Medtronic was debating the 'iPump" issue among their legal team - but no decision was made an no one would talk with us more directly.

In “fairness” to Medtronic they had attempted to partner with one other organization many years back. The org believed they should not have to pay for the recertification and warranty transfer services (which does cost pump companies) and demanded freebies. When Medtronic refused, the org began handing out pumps outside the law.

And later, yet another organization began taking donated pumps and sending them directly to people without having them checked out, completely bypassing Medtronic. For Medtronic to associate with the well-meaning organization would put them in a direct line of fire for being sued.

This is illegal and put Medtronic in a terrible liability risk position. Understandably, they stopped working with these companies (this was many years back). Our organization DOES comply with all federal and state laws including HIPAA laws. But I think Medtronic was cautious because of past legal problems.

However, it does not excuse them from not responding to us, nor from now referring many of the customers to us as an organization to be trusted, when in fact, they will not even take the pumps back at this point in time.

We are holding onto the pumps and continue to try and build better bridges. Please rest assured if you donated an upgradeable pump it did not end up in the trash.

Don’t let this discourage you! It is a very rare event (but very frustrating)! Hope that you will learn to love your pump!

Jawaid,
I am a Medtronic pump user (though the warranty recently expired). In spite of some of the frustrations I have had with them in the past, I prefer wearing a pump than not. I have been able to maintain much better control of my diabetes with an added level of flexibility that is not as easy to have with shots.

Now, when I am ready to change pumps (probably once this one is no longer supported, it breaks down or I can’t stand NOT having some feature out there), I may not go the Medtronic route… but that’s a different story.

The bottom line : you do your research and like , what you like ,and let’s not confuse the people like Jawaid , who hopefully did his homework .
Thanks Lahle for your iPump observation .

I’ve been wearing the MM pumps for 20 years. Whenever I got a new pump (I’m on my third one) the old ones were donated to iPump. I’m sorry to hear that they won’t accept them any longer.

Lately, the more I read about Metronic, the more I dislike them. I wonder if they really have their customer’s best interests in mind. I hate to say it, I don’t think they do. Before Medtronic bought out Minimed, they were awesome. Quick response, helpful and caring. Now, they’re just another bloated company.

I had issues with my infusions sets, and I was to blame about improperly inserting them. Then the recall happens. Wow, I went through 4 1/2 boxes of my 5 and then you tell me. Do I get a refund for all the wasted infusion sets? Heck no! When the warranty on this pump is up, I’m going to another company. Now to research.

I will agree. My MM pumps have been reliable, for the most part. I’m still unhappy its no longer water proof, which is why I made a switch years ago. I don’t worry much about its operation, so far so good (knock wood). Every manufacturer has issues, so its not just with one maker. I just wish Medtronic’s customer service was like Minimed was before Medtronic bought them out.

We are very sorry, too. But if MM will not recertify donated pumps any longer, we cannot give them away (legally and safely).

We are encouraging anyone who is happy with Medtronic, and who would like to help, to write to them and encourage them to open the same programs and support to people without insurance as they do to those with insurance.

Here is a specific example you can talk about: A brand new, never-been-used once Medtronic 722 pump was donated to us. (Sadly, the patient died before she could use it.) Medtronic refused to recertify the pump, or allow the warranty to transfer. and charged us $495 to literally just change the name in their database from the original owner to the new owner. When the pump had some problems during the first year, they would not repair it because it was not under warranty even though it was still less than one year old. Had it stayed with the original owner, they would have repaired/replaced it. But because it was transferred to someone without insurance, they would not transfer the warranty so when the pump had problems, and they refused to fix it, our client could no longer use the pump safely.

William A. Hawkins III, Chief Executive Officer/President
Medtronic MiniMed, Inc.
18000 Devonshire St.
Northridge, CA 91325

Arthur D. Collins Jr. Executive Chairman, Medtronic Inc.
Medtronic MiniMed, Inc.
18000 Devonshire St.
Northridge, CA 91325

I too as ready for a upgrade. I like wearing a pump, but I feel that medtronics is a bit to big to simply care about me. I happened to use the product that was recalled. I sent in 16 boxes of infusion sets and will get 1 box every three weeks until they have been replaced. My count that is 48 weeks. Unbelievable. And my new shipment will also be 1 box instead of the usual 4. I find this unexceptable. I am due for a upgrade and my Dr. will only consider Medtronic. I for one would like to try out tubless. Without Dr. support I can’t do it. I feel like I have no choice. My Dr. says that I should be glad that tech. has came this far. If I want tubless my other choice is back to shots. Medtronics must pay big.

Medtronic provides huge cash stipends to clinics, hospitals and doctors for exclusivity. These stipends are legal as they are allocated as research funds rather than as “compensation.” Other companies may also follow this practice, I honestly do not know. But I do know that if they do, they have not been able to offer enough cash to entice medical professionals to support other pump manufacturers.