Is anyone doing Dr. Bernstein diet?

For the above figures, I used 71 inch height and 80 g carbs. I am in ketosis when I am under 100g carbs. And just in case you are wondering, 255g of fat is about three sticks of butter.

As Gerri noted, there is a big difference between ketosis and DKA although there is obviously confusion. You are correct, that the body does need glucose to function. Your red blood cells are only able to utilize glucose for energy and many consider that the brain also only functions on glucose (although there is some debate about this). Glucose corresponding to about 25 g of carbs is required for these functions. Fortunately, if you have zero dietary carbs, your body can manufacture glucose from other dietary sources, in particular protein. Bernstein is very clear about this (and it is an accepted part of medical science), gluconeogenesis is the name of the process which converts non-carbohydrate to glucose.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. People with impaired kidney function are advised not to eat too much protein. I really don’t know what happened in your case. Dr. B documents himself in his book and he suffered from renal failure, but after years of low carb he was able to restore full kidney function. I am not aware of any other risks associated with low carb diets. If you have more information, I’d very much like to hear about it.

Thanks for the distinction. I was concerned about ketoacidosis only because the word “ketone” has largely been associated with a toxic substance, so reading about going into ketosis of course seemed strange. Then I thought about it and thought, well, typically ketoacidosis occurs when BG is soaring high for an extended period of time, so how could they be the same thing? Still, good to hear the true difference.

Yeah Gerri - the other diabetes mentor at Diabetes sent me this link last week - I missed his webcast by ONE day. I was so disappointed. I’ve signed up for the next one - along with his enewsletters.

Hi Cynthia,

For what it’s worth, I do not have any experience with the Dr. Bernstein diet. However, there are Dr. B weight loss clinics here in Canada and a few of my friends have attended them and one of my friends worked as a head nurse there. I watched my friends waste away on 700 calorie per day diet and lose weight so quickly they lost hair and one had weird sores on his body that wouldn’t heal. My friend the nurse resigned her position because she believed the diet was unethical and unhealthy. Again, I’ll admit this is hearsay.

I have to believe this is nothing related to Richard Bernstein. He has no interest in weight loss and I would be shocked if even franchised his teachings. I would probably think he would be appalled at a 700 calorie per day diet.

Oops, I just googled this. This is NOT Richard Bernstein. Check out http://www.drbdiet.com/. This is run by a Dr. Stanley K. Bernstein. This is a canadian weight loss clinic chain unrelated to Dr. B.

Sorry to hear about your friends.

I just googled and found the same thing! It’s amazing how some people don’t even verify that it is Dr. Richard Bernstein before mouthing off bad things about him.

Thanks, bsc.

Different Bernsteins. Richard Bernstein is an endo & not the weight loss doctor.