Is Anyone Else on 500mg per day of Metformin?

Not necessarily, Anthony. Removing metformin will NOT undo the weight loss. It is the goal of early-diagnosed T2s to stay off ALL medications for as long as possible while maintaining goal bg’s and A1c’s. The longer we are NOT on medications, the more likely the medications will work when we NEED them, and the less iatrogenic damage these medications are likely to cause.

I have hovered between 6.2 and 6.4 a1c… I am not overweight… 143 and 5foot 5 inches. My morning fasting is a bit high…(118) But I exercise daily and am a vegetarian .
I had Gestational with my last two kids … last one had to do insulin twice a day…
Dad has type 2

Am I basically out of luck?

The doc wants me to start taking metformin twice a day… but I hesitate
I am only 47
Any thoughts?

I have been thinking about Twixcookie. Haven’t heard from her here in a very long time. Does anyone know, is she ok? Twix, if you read this, let us know what you’re up to.

I currently take 500mg Met 2ce/day.

Twix–I get my met from Walmart too. If your doc will RX it for you to buy 3 mths at a time it’s only $10. Saves a couple $ & gas money. :slight_smile: My trick…I got my doc to RX 1000mg 2ce a day and ok me buying 3 mths at a time. A 3 mth RX for the higher strength is still only $10. The pills are scored so I just cut them in half. That’s 6 months of meds for $10!! Every penny counts. :slight_smile: I’m stocking up b/c I’m worried about losing my insurance.

Faith - I’d like to suggest that you may have a particular “type” of diabetes (MODY) described here - http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/spindex.php

Cheri

I was diagnosed T2 Dec 2004 A1C 6.2…controlled diet & exercise until March 4/09…A1C 8.0…doctor put me on 2-1000g 2X per day. When my A1C was 8 I was daily testing at 9 - 12… after 1 mo on Metformin… my daily BG are around 8 - 9.5 so I hope that means it’s helping some. My lowest so far has been 7.6…My doctor’s not very interested in helping…rushes in and out of room, hates answering questions. But I’m lucky to even have a doctor as shortage is so bad… I really don’t know where I’m heading and what to do…other than I have to increase my exercise but I am have problem with energy after working 8 - 10 hours per day on the computer… But I’m determined to make myself do so. I’m interested in learning how long it take to get Metformin working to lower number or if everyone just ends up on more Meds… Have a Happy Easter everyone.

after being diagnosed my doctor give me metformin 500 tab half tab with morning and evening meal then after few months give me 500 mg tab with morning and evening meals

Wow… doesn’t sound like you’re getting that much support… in what country do you live? 8 - 9.5 still sounds a bit high if I’m converting correctly? Do you have access to a Diabetes Educator or a Dietician to give you some ideas for meal planning (dietary changes can often help control blood glucose levels) and other issues that can help with diabetes management?

Hi how are you ? I’m on a 500mg daily dose of Metformin … But not the extended release …

I must try this! I’m typical Type A and have a problem with relaxing and not stressing out over things.
Thanks

I know what you’re saying. I agree! Work takes up so much of our time. It takes a lot of pushing to make myself exercise after 8 - 10 days at work. Leave me little time for myself or even time on the computer with my friends at tudiabetes.

I was taking only 500 mg of metformin once in the morning and once at night, to be honest… i stopped taking them because either way my sugars were too high. Just today my doctor upped my metformin to 1000mg twice daily and he added glypizide 10mgs twice daily… so im kind of in the same situation you are, ill let you know how this new dosage is working. hang in there though… :slight_smile:

At Giant you can get a 90 day supply for $9.

Same here; 500 is not enough for me I’m on 1000 metformin and 1000 actoplus

I am on 1000mg twice a day (morning and night) and I do okay with it. Occassionally it makes my tummy feel bad and messes up my poo poo schedule but I hear thats normal. I also take 8mg of Amaryl in the morning and am on insulin too! I am so sick of this medicine. My doctor told me that diabetes is my new life partner and I need to just deal with it, it will never go away no matter how much weight I lose because I have insulin resistance. Boo hooooo…

I was recently changed from 500mg Metformin twice a day to 500mg Metformin ER onced aday. From the very day I started taking the Extended Release my bg began to climb, especially after meals. I switched back to the 500mg twice a day and my numbers immediately improved.

So you went from 1000 mg/day total dose to 500 mg/day? Sounds like you need the 1000 mg, but whether it’s regular or extended is perhaps another matter. If you haven’t yet done so, consult with your doc to get the correct dosing.

I take metformin 1000 mg 3 times a day (with each meal). My endocrinologist had me on this and my internal medicine doctor told me to take it only twice a day. However, when I did the 2 x a day, my blood glucose was very high. I went back to 3 x a day and it went back to being just fine. When I revewed my prescription, the internal medicine doctor was concerend that I would go hypo. I told her that I would keep an eye on it and would let her know AND cut back to 2 x a day. So far that (hypo) has not happened.

You probably ask, why would you have your internal medicine doctor prescribe your metformin? The answer to that is, I don’t need to see my endocrinologist as often as I need to see my internal medicine doctor. I see my endocrinologist only when I feel as if there is a major problem with my glucose and at the urging of may internal medicine doctor if she feels she cannot handle the problem (if there is a problem, which has not happened). My internal medicine dotor will ALSO do my A1c, just as my endocrinologist and send the results of the A1c and all other tests that I have under her to my endocrinologist.

My medicine is rolled all into one tablet, so I take what is known as glyburine/metformin 5/500. (glyburide 5 mg/metformin 500 mg).

For me, just 2 x a day was ineffective.

I am on 1000 per day. At first it didn’t work. My numbers were all over the place and I had the cramps etc. Then I went off it for a few days and completely went off caffeine. My numbers were good for a few days, then started swinging again, but not as high this time. I went back on the Metformin without any caffeine and am now hitting lows in the 70-80 range every day. I haven’t been over 140 in a week. No cramps or other digestive issues either, and I am back to losing weight. I want to go another 20 lbs and am eating a low carb (not 0 carb) diet.

Try eliminating caffeine and see if that helps you. It is a major digestive irritant, and does have an effect on muscle function. It may change your metabolism enough to make 500 mg effective.

jax

I had the same issue. My doc put me on ER specifically to try to fight dawn phenomenon, and the very day I started it, my fasting went up 10 points! And continued high till I got back on regular.