Is anyone else thinking pregnancy one day?

I know how you feel. I always dread the A1C test. When my first 7 came back I was crushed. And then to work on it and correct (my fingers are literally bruised from lancets) and then for it to come back 7.5??? Frustrated doesn’t even cover it. And you are right, it is more important to have a healthy one and I do want that.
The “impossible” comment sent me over the edge and is really why I have made an appt. with another doc. It can’t hurt right??

Thanks for your reply. I just can’t figure out what is so freakin’ different that has made my numbers go up. My average on my meter was 139 for 90 days when that 7.5 came in. For the first time in 3.5 years I am feeling really lost and not as knowledgable about what’s going on under my skin!!! And I do NOT like feeling hopeless…I’m not good at feeling "hopeless…"
I do know that it is affecting me emotionally. Being around my middle brother’s kids this Christmas and watching my oldest brother become a first time dad at 42 last week, I feel like it’s my turn. I can’t just run off and get pregnant like my sister-in-laws… And 3 and a half years ago I could have had kids without having to worry about diabetes. It’s just so frustrating! Of course 3 and half years ago I had been married for only 6 months and having a baby then probably wouldn’t have been the smartest move on our part but that’s a whole other story…hehehehee

OH I so understand what you are going through.....IN Nov. my sister-in-law who got married last March told me that she thinks she was preg., so in the middle of the night we went to get her a preg. test...and YES she was preg. Everyone knows that I want a baby more than anything;...and i always talk about it...they asked me if I was okay ..and I smiled and of course I was happy for her....but cried all night about it...and now every time I got home for the weekend i see a picture of her ultra-sound or I hear baby talks i get so depressed and I curse my life with diabetes...But it's so hard being happy ...when i am so hurt inside. I feel like my life button is pressed on pause until further notice....I am usually a happy go lucky person...but i found myself lately being really bitter and I hate it. I wish there was a book out there for helping me get over the grieving stage of the so called A1c!!

Dude, I think that book would be a best seller! I like your comment about your life button is on pause. I hate the fact that I’m 35 and diabetic and I don’t appreciate being told that I’d better get on with it. Like I have a magic wand and I can change the future with some freakin’ fairy dust!

I actually just started this ning group. I wanted to get tips from people that have been pregnant with type 1 because i have a lot of concerns about it.

http://momswithdiabetes.ning.com/

Gina,
Great idea! I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 23 years and have 2 healthy children. My pregnancies were very good overall but I would have loved a site like momswithdiabetes during that time! Group support is key! Also check out a new website called, diabetessisters.com, it is brand new and looks to be a great place to ask questions and get answers etc.

I’m working on a book like that! I am collecting essays from women living with diabetes, ranging from topics such as: the teenage years, dating with diabetes, travel, pregnancy, motherhood, aging etcetc…all for women with diabetes. check out my blog about the book at www.alsmercer.wordpress.com and send me an essay!

thanks! i will check it out!

yikes! you sounds pretty sure about that.

I had a baby seven months ago. Got on the pump four years ago and it was the BEST thing I could have done. I got on it because I knew that I wanted to have kids and I needed to do something to get my numbers down. Total life saver for me. My numbers came down immediately and I was actually able to keep my A1C at 5.1 for my whole pregnancy. It’s sick I know…not a number I have ever been able to reach before or since my pregnancy. I had a lot of trouble keeping pregnancies which can be a side effect ( not sure if that is the right word) of being diabetic. My endo had me on lots of things. Plus I was taking not the 300 micrograms, that is recommended but the put me on 4 mg or I believe the equivalent of 4000 micrograms of folic acid. I will tell you it is no easy road to be pregnant and type 1 but oh my gosh so totally worth it. I hope I get the chance to do it again on day. I too blogged about it http://sugardonor.blogspot.com

Sarah - that is not funny, but at the same time, it is. My sister does not want children either and she will tell you straight up - “I don’t want kids. I enjoy my boyd and my life, as is. When you pay for daycare, take them to the doctor, pay for college and navigate them through life - then I’ll consider it.” lol

if you guys ever want to talk about pregnancy only, i started up a Diabetic and Pregnant website if you are interested, i just added a chat room as well. I started it because i am getting married in April and i wanted to get advice from other mothers about how to learn what to do before. http://momswithdiabetes.ning.com/

As a type 2 I can warn you of several complications I had 2 kids before the big D but 2 afterwards. I was hospitalized for both with my daughter she was healthy and weighted 7 lbs 1 oz my son on the other had didn’t fare so well he weighted 2 lbs 7 oz and was in the NICU for 2 months because my liver failed. He now has asthma and some seizures and get sick at the drop of a hat be very careful… In the last 2 months of my pregnancy I was having blackouts and my bs was running around 60 in the morning I was still taking insulin and the dr and I couldn’t figure it out until she questioned the head OBGYN and a few blood tests later found out he was making insulin for the 2 of us…I was stunned. So be VERY careful follow what they tell you take every test available and pray…Good luck…

Hi Jessica,
My husband and I just went and talked to a high risk OB, about what we need to do in order to ensure a healthy pregnancy, and they told me to have my fasting BG levels between 70-80 and my after meal BG levels to be between 80-120. They are currently monitoring my BG levels that I’m faxing them a couple times a week. I’m not pregnant yet, but hopefully soon. I hope this helps.

Hi all,
I was just wondering if all of you have been told to have HbA1c’s of 6 before trying to concieve as I’ve been told 7.0 or less for 3 months prior to trying is acceptable. Obviously, this has to be maintained during pregnancy but I’ve been told its ok for me to try now as I’ve had A1c’s of 7.0 and 6.9 for the last 3 months.

I think that it depends on the doctor. Some say that 6 isn’t realistic for everyone. My doctor insisted on below 6 before we start talking, but at 7.6, I’m hoping that below 7 is enough! What do others think?

I have gotten a few different opinions. 2 from one doctor! I was told as close to 6 as I could be. But after going on the pump and seeing my A1C rise to 7.5, the CDE was saying that it might be impossible! I have changed doctors had another A1C done, which is 6.54, (this was within 2 months of the 7.5?) and this new doctor says that if I could safely do 6 that was fine, but he’d much rather see a 7 with fewer lows…It is so confusing!

I was just reading an article online about H1c and birth defects …PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS “THE” WORD…but here is something to confuse you a little further…

“t is important to note, however, that it is not the hemoglobin A1c level that causes the birth defects, it is the poor diabetic control (high maternal blood sugars
). In other words, if a diabetic comes in for preconceptional counseling and has a hemoglobin A1c of 11.5% (very bad), quickly normalizes her blood sugar control according to our strict standards, then gets pregnant a week later and continues good control of her blood sugars during the period of her baby’s embryogenesis, the hemoglobin A1c level may be high, but the baby’s risk should be minimal. On the other hand, if she says “I have normal blood sugars” and she gets to 14 weeks and her hemoglobin A1c is 11.5%, check her glucometer and be on the look out for major congenital malformations!”

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/pregnancy_childbirth/2008/02/diabetes-in-pregnancy-11-hemoglobin-a1c.html

I haven’t actually talked to my endo yet about pregnancy, but I am going to see him Friday & see what his opinion is… I know I am not ready for kids, I can barely handle 2 dogs - but it is something my hubby & I are interested in down the road.
Everything I have seen talks about all the defects & problems if you aren’t in perfect control (6 or under)… and my last A1c was 8+…

10.5 thats tough you can do it though! i have faith!