Is diabetes just ONE of the conditions on your list? Join us!

Welcome to our pod Circe...so happy to have you join us! Care to tell us a bit about yourself?

WELCOME! Nice to have you join the rabble KAT! Could you tell us a bit about yourself??

hi all, i have kidney issues and heart issues with my diabetes. I am loosing trust in my care team due to them not being able to recomment the right meds for my heart to make things easier on my kidneys and bs. i have recently had double carpal tunnel surgery and now have to choose a new pump and not sure what to choose. im really starting to question my teams ability to treat me accurratly. not sure what to do anymore. thanks for letting me join this group and vent alittle.

HELLO!!! Welcome to the rabble A!
I too have Raynaud's Phenomenon, and wondered if there was a link to diabetes...as in neuropathy??

Kat....go ahead VENT!!!! We all need to have a sounding board! I wonder if you told it "like it is" to your team, if that would be helpful at all...more or less telling them what you told us. They are SO CLUELESS at times about how we must deal with this 24/7!

Of interest.....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Though considered a condition of modern times, carpal tunnel syndrome has in fact been recognized since the 1880s.

What causes it?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is usually a stress injury induced by prolonged, repeated movements of the hands or fingers, but also changes in hormonal balance during pregnancy, while taking birth control pills, or during menopause may also bring on or worsen carpal tunnel symptoms. Underlying disease (diabetes, hypothyroidism, Raynaud's disease, rheumatoid arthritis) or trauma to the wrist may result in carpal tunnel syndrome as well. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs three times more often in women than it does in men and is particularly common in overweight women between the ages of 30 and 60.
(But hey....can happen is thin folk as well ... obviously!)

What are the symptoms?
Numbness or tingling in the thumb and the first three fingers.
Shooting pains in the wrist and forearm, which may radiate into the shoulder and neck.
Weakness in the hand; difficulty in picking up and holding objects.
A sensation that the fingers are swollen when no swelling is visible.

Are there any natural therapies?
Several studies suggest that a deficiency of vitamin B6 can make you susceptible to the numbness and pain of carpal tunnel syndrome. This vitamin is important in maintaining healthy nerve tissue, relieving inflammation and improving circulation. It also may increase the brain's production of the nerve chemical GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), which helps to control pain sensations. If you don't notice any improvement after taking vitamin B6 for three weeks, switch to pyridoxal-5 phosphate (P-5-P), a form of the vitamin that the body eventually produces as it breaks down vitamin B6. Some people find this form works better for them.

Bromelain, a powerful anti-inflammatory enzyme found in pineapples, is also very effective in treating the inflammation and any resulting pain. The combination of bromelain and vitamin B6 works better than either supplement alone. Turmeric, a member of the ginger family, is also useful. When turmeric and bromelain are taken together, then enhance each other's anti-inflammatory properties and may helps to relieve the pain of carpal tunnel syndrome. Although turmeric is safe to use over the long term, cut the dose in half once your symptoms subside. (This herb can be expensive.)

Did you know?
Salt promotes water retention, which can contribute to swelling and may aggravate the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Try reducing the amount of salt in your diet and see if it helps.Just thought it might be of interest.
I wondered as well if the problem I have with the baby finger in my left hand locking strangely might be associated with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (it's apparently hot trigger finger).

A big welcome to whizziewheelz and acmulv!!!
Come on in!!!!

Please tell us a bit about yourselves whizziewheelz and acmulv :)

So happy to have us in our little group Eugenia!
Make yourself at home....and please tell us a bit about yourself!

Pup....so nice to have you in the rabble sis....can you share what makes pup....pup?

Hi,
Thank you Linda. I have had Diabetes since I was 11 years old, meaning for 28 years already. Two years ago I had a very bad relationship where I was full of stress all the time and I don't know but I believe so, I began feeling bad, all my body atarted aching and was unable to sleep at night. Last year I decided to go check a reumatologist and he diagnosed me Fibromyalgia. I began taking medication Cymbalta, but it was very strong for me causing nausea and besides it is a very expensive medication. It is hard for me, but I go day by day. Some nights I can't sleep due to the pain. On the other hand, I got married 4 months ago and very happy. That helps me keep up and smiling everyday. Mu husband is very caring and supportive.

Sorry I forgot to tell that I ended the bad relationship and married someone else.

So glad to hear you found the right person Eugenia!
Man oh man....so true about stress....it can really do a number on your body!
Stress, I'm certain, was what cause my blood sugars to go crazy. At the time, my mom died, my husband's business went belly up, as we lost our house! I already had allergies and migraines to contend with. So...the extra stress....plus the added stress of being unwell with something else also exacerbated the migraines. Our children were little at the time....so add that to the configuration! The allergies eventually triggered asthma....life is like a box of chocolates Forrest said! You never know what you're going to get (or when)!
I find the hardest thing is to try to be as normal as needed to fit in! Many times I know people don't believe me when I have to back out of something at the last minute, to something I committed to, because of a migraine or whatever. It's not as if you often get a warning the day before about an oncoming migraine, or a low. Some folks just don't understand, some don't even want to give you the benefit of the doubt....so nice to be in a place that DOES understand. I have a friend in town who has Fibromyalgia. I used to help at HER support group....and she would help at mine (diabetes).
Do any foods cause Fibro flare ups?
I totally understand about some medications....to be effective, they need to be strong, yes...they minimize the pain, but they frequently make you feel like garbage!
Take care, and many hugs!

Thanks Linda. Well I haven't heard about the food part related to fibromyalgia. I know the doctors do recommen some exercise...but truly I dont like to exercise!!! I know it helps both of my deseases though. I should start trying to do some.

Greetings and WELCOME Kelley and JoshMore!!
jrtpup....you became "pup" down there....sorry for the abbreviation. Would our new members mind telling us a bit about themselves??

Welcome to our little subgroup Maeryn

A new group is born....Type 2 Teens!!!
Geared to teens and young adults!
It's Open House! Come and check it out :)
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/type-2-teens

I hope everyone had a very MERRY BLESSED CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANUKKAH, and a festive interlude!!!

The winter season brings certain challenges to managing your diabetes.

The cold weather and winter holidays can cause:
More colds and flu
Changes in your blood sugar
Changes in your diet and exercise plan
More stress
Let’s talk about ways to deal with these challenges

Stay warm when it is cold.

Diabetes can cause problems with your blood flow. These can get worse in the cold weather.
Wear layers of clothing to protect yourself from the cold.
It is especially important to keep your feet warm.
Wear comfortable shoes and socks.
Keep your head and hands covered and warm.

Protect yourself from getting too dry.

The cold weather can dry out your skin, eyes, and insides.
Use a moisturizing lotion on your skin.
If your eyes feel dry, ask your doctor about using eye drops.
Drink lots of water.
Use a humidifier to keep your home from getting too dry.

Find fun ways to exercise in the winter.

Cold weather and rain may make it hard to follow your regular exercise routine.
Exercise is important in managing your blood sugar
Find different ways to exercise in the winter:
Join an indoor exercise class
Use an exercise video
Walk laps around your local mall

Check your blood sugar often.

Changes in the weather can cause changes in your blood sugar.
Ask your doctor if you should increase the number of times you check your blood sugar.
Make sure to test your blood sugar regularly.

Hey Alice!! Welcome to our pod!!